Is being Bilingual ok?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4404 by
Replied by on topic Re:Is being Bilingual ok?
Although I don't count that as verifiable proof, I'll take your word for it. It still doesn' make a good point for being multilingual, since most in the position to decide things like that are usuing a translator of some sort. Now, I don't see why they would, but the translater could say whatever they wanted, and the two parties conversating would never know, without outside interuption. They would all benefit from having a basic language they all could speak on thier own, not to mention it would save each of their governments a good bit of money for the salary of all those translaters.

Politics and everything aside, all I'm saying, which has been said already by others, is that I shouldn't have to know German to speak to my brothers wife (who is German) if she and I are in America. However If I go visit them in Germany, I should know some conversational German to speak to them, and show respect for their country's language and heritage. OR, when I call up an American based company who advertise in America in English, when I call to order something, I shouldn't have to press one for English. It just doesn't make good sense. Thats all I've been trying to say all along.

I'm no business owner, but I do work in Telephone Repair among other aspects of Telephony. We've set up those voice menus many times, and the general rule of thumb is that if the majority of people statistically will choose a certain option, make it the automatic, and all others you have to push buttons to get to. But what do I know?

DK

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 9 months ago #4467 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Is being Bilingual ok?
Wow! One amazing potential of the bi/multi-lingual (Jedi) is to carry Jediism to others who because of their language would otherwise be cut off. The Force would be made tangiable to a culture and individuals therein.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4469 by
just for information's sake Quebec, Canada is Bilingual they speak both french and english there. so it can work but as for instating something like that in the US?? Forget it ppl are too hard headed to do it, i mean, look at the metric system. ppl still avoid that and it's the easiest form of measurement.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4471 by
XMortis wrote:

just for information's sake Quebec, Canada is Bilingual they speak both french and english there. so it can work but as for instating something like that in the US?? Forget it ppl are too hard headed to do it, i mean, look at the metric system. ppl still avoid that and it's the easiest form of measurement.

No one wants to institute any policy on the US nation regarding languages...I should have been watching this thread better. Look folks...this is about learning and growing...and knowing more than one language will only help you do this all over the world. And when you do this...you're being a good example for Jedi everywhere...which only propagates great diplomacy as others recognize that Jedi seem to all be very respectful and compassionate people (which is another thing shown by learning another cultures language).

I used the immigration example because it fit and most people are familiar with it but i probably shouldnt have. Instead of beginning to talk about the great virtues of being multilingual or sharing information to help others learn a language if they want to, the majority of y'all made this about yourselves and displayed your fears about a multi-lingual USA. Who Cares...it wont hurt you...a language cant shoot you...if you don't like it then avoid it. Thats your right as an American. And when you can't avoid it just sit there and grumble to yourself about how much you detest it. OR you could go to Borders Book Store, spend $20.00 on a learn French, Spanish, German, Italian, and yes even Latin learn it yourself system and enrich yourself and in doing so enrich others. Geez, MTFBWY and God Bless.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 9 months ago #4473 by Jon
Just out of interest, in Switzerland they have three national languages: French, German, and Swiss. And I can certainly say that the Swiss are successful in many ways.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4529 by
I need my own Island country, with my own military, scientist and all the other things necessary to have a succesfull gov't. We would speak one language and one language only, one that we make up, so no-one can know what we are saying. Sounds like fun doesn't it?

Besides Tom, you can always avoid it, when someone speaks spanish to me, I look at them like they have a piece of male genetalia growing out of thier forehead, and then low and behold they speak English too. Its amazing how it works really, people try to make you think they don't know a language so they can use it to their advantage.

Well, I unfortunately have duty tonight, so I gotta be there for a while, wish we had wifi and I had a laptop, I'd be on here all night.

DK

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 9 months ago #4531 by Jon
I`d hate to think for example what those \"Spanish\" speakers see on our heads when English is spoken.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4570 by
It doesn't matter what they see, I'm in America where we speak ENGLISH.

If I were in Mexico, and tried talking to them in english, I would expect them to look at me like I'm retarded too, but I wouldn't do the same if I were in Mexico, and someone was speaking spanish, its kind of a given.

Mexico/Spanish
America/English
Germany/German
Portugal/Portugese(sp)
Russia/Russian
Japan/Japanese
China/Chinese

Yes I understand there are some countries that do not have a native language and use one from somewhere else. Technically all of us in the Western Hemisphere for the most part do. There are still Native Americans, and South American tribes that have kept thier native language with little to no outside influence. However, when that language has been the spoken language for over 200 years, it pretty much applies as the native language.

Its all common sense really.

DK

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4571 by
I worked in Zurich and my collegues were talking at least three languages (!), some even more, with one guy bringing it to 6!!!! But hey, I used to work in hotels...

But I do understand the frustrations of people moving to a country and not learning the language, not even making an effort.

Sidenote: My Mom does not speak English, yet, when she visits me here in CO she is able to tell me exactly what my neighbors do for a living, where they have been on vacation (for the past ten years it seems) and other details. So, I guess my Mom does speak some English, she just does not want to admit it. Therefore, I am careful, one never knows what other people understand.

As for the header of the thread: Is being Bilingual ok? To me, of course, it opens up new horizons.

Is it ok to expect people to speak the majority language? To me, yes.

My 2 cents. Have fun with it.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 9 months ago #4578 by Jon
Dhagon Krayt wrote:

It doesn't matter what they see, I'm in America where we speak ENGLISH.

If I were in Mexico, and tried talking to them in english, I would expect them to look at me like I'm retarded too, but I wouldn't do the same if I were in Mexico, and someone was speaking spanish, its kind of a given.

Mexico/Spanish
America/English
Germany/German
Portugal/Portugese(sp)
Russia/Russian
Japan/Japanese
China/Chinese

Yes I understand there are some countries that do not have a native language and use one from somewhere else. Technically all of us in the Western Hemisphere for the most part do. There are still Native Americans, and South American tribes that have kept thier native language with little to no outside influence. However, when that language has been the spoken language for over 200 years, it pretty much applies as the native language.

Its all common sense really.

DK

Sorry if it becomes tiresome but there are a few things that have to corrected:
-Russia/
Languages related to European Russia
Languages with more than 1,000,000 speakers
Tatar (5,300,000)
Ukrainian (1,800,000)
Bashkir (1,370,000)
Chechen (1,330,000)
Chuvash (1,320,000) ....

-America/American English (which for example is not accepted in British examination systems)

-China/Mandarin, Momgolian, Tibetan...

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi