A Dark Fourth of July

More
1 year 9 months ago #369162 by Zero
Replied by Zero on topic A Dark Fourth of July
There are a lot more steps to it than that……but it’s the best place to start. Write your senators and your congress people and ask that an actual law be drafted to replace what scotus took away. One that isn’t based on a courtroom technicality, and could be added to the bill of rights.

Master Zero
House of Orion
TOTJO Council Member
Head Moderator and Education Administration Member
Journals- IP / Apprentice / Knight / BDiv / MDiv / Personal
My Apprentice: Morkano
Knighted Apprentices: Diana W, Atania, Ashria, Tannis Yarl, Tavi, Rini, Khwang

”Everything that exists in this world has a hidden meaning within. When you look deeper at things, beyond initial appearance, you discover their true reality.”

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #369176 by Silenus
Replied by Silenus on topic A Dark Fourth of July

That’s tv/movie cops that get all the details. Most cops are looking for the easiest information. All they need is a doctor to attest “she was pregnant, now she’s not.

I guess I'm sort of biased because I get to see and hear every day the stuff that detectives try to do and use to attempt to basically convict anyone they can. If you actually start digging into case statistics for police it's scary. But you can pretty much guarantee if there's some variety of homicide on the line, they're going to subpoena all of your basic information. It's basically routine at this point. That's why they hate stuff like Signal that's encrypted.

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #369178 by Silenus
Replied by Silenus on topic A Dark Fourth of July
Part of the problem with this entire situation is that half of the federal government is part of a group whose publicly stated goals are to pass a constitutional amendment to make abortion illegal in all cases. It's not hyperbole, it's literally on page 13 of their platform. They want the 14th amendment to apply to unborn/undeveloped zygotes and fetuses. It isn't an over-reaction. It's literally what they are telling you they want to do.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Silenus.

More
1 year 9 months ago #369182 by Alethea Thompson
Most people are convicted because they take a plea deal instead of going to court.

While in California, my husband and I got to talk with a social worker who didn’t really understand the law. Actually I should say, she did but because of actions of the police around her she questioned her understanding of the law.

She told us of a time where the cops forced their way into a home without a warrant. They got the evidence they needed to prosecute and in the end the people in the home took a plea bargain because they felt they couldn’t win.

But if they had gone to court, it would have put the police in their place. The reason it would have been thrown out is what we call “Fruit of the Poison Tree”. By using their “authority” to get into the home instead of a warrant, the police overstepped their bounds.

The social worker had told us she was uncomfortable with what had happened and we agreed. “You should be, because the police roped you into an illegal action,” we told her, “That’s not your fault. You are told to trust what the police do, but you are right to feel uncomfortable about it.”.

There are police that are of the belief to protect people they need to go against the law. But there are those that do things by the books because they don’t want to risk their cases getting thrown out if they end up in court.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
1 year 9 months ago #369184 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic A Dark Fourth of July
Court is a tremendous expense. Public defender's are over worked and underpaid. Going to court often means months or years waiting for trial.

So...

We've got work to do on all ends here

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: River

More
1 year 9 months ago #369186 by Alethea Thompson
As for the federal government. We are so focused on the Feds that we’re missing big points.

1) Marijuana is a Schedule I drug according to the Feds.
2) States said “we’re done enforcing most of this stuff, make it legal”.
3) Feds don’t have the resources to go against the state to enforce the laws around Marijuana so they end up leaving states alone that legalized it.

Your local government literally has far more power than the federal government. Stop buying into the illusion that the Feds are you’re most protective barrier and focus on local elections. Sure vote in a pro-choice person when time comes around to fed elections, but seriously pool more resources to your state.

It’s a mid-term election year. Make sure you’re looking at “la-di-da-di-da everybody”, get out and encourage your neighbors to vote. You can also get a (Physical, skip Change.org and other such sites) Petition going. Each house you go to, just ask “No judgments, just curious, how do you feel about Roe v. Wade? If they say something that puts them in the pro-life category, thank them for their time (with a smile), then move to the next home. When you find pro-choice members start pitching a “please consider voting for XYZ candidates that can help our state maintain/restore women’s rights to abortion.” Don’t pitch a crazy talk, have a flyer they can look at with bullet points on major beliefs of the candidates you are supporting (not just pro-choice bullets, give them a good solid idea of what they would be voting for and what day they can vote).

You can even use my Marijuana point to show how important it is you VOTE LOCALLY.

Promote your candidates on Facebook if you have local voters following your feed. If not, you’re better off working towards a physical campaign.

If you can’t go door to door due to physical disability, hook up with the campaign team for the candidate you want to support the most and help spread the word through an email campaign….they’re not as effective (people tend to throw out mail that’s not bills or from family), but they can reach some eyes.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
1 year 9 months ago #369187 by Alethea Thompson
You’re absolutely right, Rosalyn. There is A LOT of work to be done. Including appointing better police chiefs, better local councils, attorney generals, etc. Finding the right people to run for office and supporting them. It takes courage, time and effort for all of this. Not everyone is suited to this kind of work though (being an elected official or even just trying to support them), we all have our circumstances.

But if you are, find the strength to get out there and do it. Cheerleading (protests, social media) on the side only goes so far.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
1 year 9 months ago #369194 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic A Dark Fourth of July
It was suggested I post this here:

https://www.coursera.org/learn/moral-politics

This course seems particularly relevant to what we are talking about. I am enrolled in it if any one wants to join me

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, Alethea Thompson, River, Silenus

More
1 year 9 months ago #369203 by Zero
Replied by Zero on topic A Dark Fourth of July
Maine got some new bills signed into law today reguarding this topic to protect reproductive rights for anyone comming to maine.

The huge one was a law that prohibits any medical office or Maine law enforcement from assisting in any way with any other states legal investigations on abortions that happen in Maine…..So what that means is if someone comes to Maine from another state to get an abortion, and that persons home state files charges against them, Maine authorities will not assist that investigation and will provide ZERO information to the other state including if that person was even in Maine at all. It protects medical offices and doctors from prosecution the same way. Even a subpoena comming from another state would be invalid and shot down.

The second one makes it illegal to protest within 500 yards of an abortion clinic or Harass or photograph women going to one.

Master Zero
House of Orion
TOTJO Council Member
Head Moderator and Education Administration Member
Journals- IP / Apprentice / Knight / BDiv / MDiv / Personal
My Apprentice: Morkano
Knighted Apprentices: Diana W, Atania, Ashria, Tannis Yarl, Tavi, Rini, Khwang

”Everything that exists in this world has a hidden meaning within. When you look deeper at things, beyond initial appearance, you discover their true reality.”

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Rosalyn J, River, Chris-Tien

More
1 year 9 months ago #369209 by Carlos.Martinez3
North Carolina and Colorado are currently taking their states stance.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi