Apprentice Arisaigs article on Grey Jedi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #321957 by
“We’ve all seen them about. They come in saying they’re unique because of their Path, and that they do not fear the dark like the Jedi but are more restrained than the Sith. I am talking, of course, of those that proclaim themselves to be Grey Jedi”

: Arisaig

If we are talking about the Jedi Code that appears in the movies, I would identify as Grey, not in a bid to be unique, but because I believe human emotion can be just as valuable as it is damaging. If you look to the Star Wars movies, you see that the code forbids marriage and family due to attachments being "dangerous" - however, Vader comes back from the Dark Side because of emotion, because of his love for his children. Human emotion is valuable, and yes, it can cause us to do things we shouldn't or act irrationally (like the behaviors that turned Anakin towards the Dark Side to begin with), but it is also responsible for many great things that have happened in our world. Empathy and compassion are human emotions just as much as hate and greed.

This ties in with my other belief that there are not "light" and "dark" sides of The Force. The Force is energy, and we have forms of it in the real world. How people use their energy is what matters. There will always be people who use it selfishly.

The way Yoda explains the Jedi Code, it is very much like Buddhism - and, the way the Sith Code is explained is very much like Laveyan Satanism - which is all about the self, not worshiping the literal Devil, but to be self-centered, with ourselves being the most important person (the “God”) of our subjective universe. Satan to them is a symbol of pride, liberty and individualism, but not an actual being that they believe exists.

I have much respect for the Jedi Code, but I believe in trying to circumvent the obvious faults all humans have, it takes away some of the beauty and power that we also possess.

Edited to add: I also don't believe that people turn to this path due to "laziness", as it is far more difficult to feel, yet control, one's emotions and stay on the path of the good and righteous than it is to suppress all emotion and form no attachments. Processing and dealing with our emotions so as to not stray from the righteous path in the face of temptation is a valuable skill all humans must learn.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #321965 by

kail_shey wrote: If we are talking about the Jedi Code that appears in the movies, I would identify as Grey, not in a bid to be unique, but because I believe human emotion can be just as valuable as it is damaging. If you look to the Star Wars movies, you see that the code forbids marriage and family due to attachments being "dangerous"

I think you'll find many here are of the same mind. Rather than learn to suppress emotion, we learn to best utilise it. I've always found it ironic that, in the fiction, that the Jedi taught their members to have no fear, but yet in the same breath to fear the dark side. Sorta counter productive, eh? ;)

Many here also agree with the whole marriage thing. When approached properly, a relationship can be an uplifting and healthy experience. Our Code, nor that of the fictional Jedi, forbids relationships. But their doctrine wouldn't allow it, and ours simply states to be wary of them (are they healthy, do they bring out the best in us, ect).

I'm prepping a video explanation of this article. Going over it again a few weeks down the road has allowed me to see some common questions or perceptions of the article, which I think this video could clear up, so keep a eye open. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #321966 by
As promised. ;P I do recommend reading the article before watching, but this can stand on its own.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #321967 by
I watched the video - and I believe I understand the idea you are trying to convey - always striving for better, not settling, etc. I agree with that... but my issue with the Jedi Code in the stories (I have no issues with the Temple Jedi Code) is that I fundamentally disagree with what they deem to be higher levels of achievement. For example, I do not believe there is value in discarding human emotion. I reject it based on the fact that I believe it to be flawed, not on the basis that it is unobtainable.

Humans have become Sokushinbutsu, which is a kind of Buddhist mummy. The term refers to the practice of Buddhist monks observing asceticism to the point of death and entering mummification while alive. Humans CAN do many unbelievable and extreme things. It is about whether you find value in those things or not. Choosing to identify as Grey is, to me, not settling but pushing myself beyond the boundaries of simple human reaction. Feel the emotion, learn what you can from it (about yourself and others, individual motivations, etc.) and then move forward in accordance with the Jedi way. Will I make mistakes? Yes. Absolutely. Will I stop trying to self reflect, correct those mistakes, learn from them and adjust my behavior or reactions accordingly in the future? No, I will never stop learning. I will never stop striving to be a better human. So, in a way, we very much agree. We should always strive to be better, do better, even when it is challenging.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #321968 by

kali_shey wrote: Feel the emotion, learn what you can from it (about yourself and others, individual motivations, etc.) and then move forward in accordance with the Jedi way. Will I make mistakes? Yes. Absolutely. Will I stop trying to self reflect, correct those mistakes, learn from them and adjust my behavior or reactions accordingly in the future? No, I will never stop learning. I will never stop striving to be a better human. So, in a way, we very much agree. We should always strive to be better, do better, even when it is challenging.

And that is all anyone can expect of you. To do your best, to be honest with yourself, and better yourself where you find room for growth. You may identify as Grey, but to me that sounds perfectly in line with what it is to be a Jedi. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #321969 by

Arisaig wrote:
I think you'll find many here are of the same mind. Rather than learn to suppress emotion, we learn to best utilise it. I've always found it ironic that, in the fiction, that the Jedi taught their members to have no fear, but yet in the same breath to fear the dark side. Sorta counter productive, eh? ;)

Exactly - there are many such contradictions. I think, put simply, emotion is what DRIVES Yoda and Luke to want to help, to lay down their lives for others - their compassion and empathy (both human emotions) are the very basis for many things that they do. These are powerful things, emotions. And they are valuable, if managed properly.

More
5 years 10 months ago #321970 by Manu

Arisaig wrote:
Many here also agree with the whole marriage thing. When approached properly, a relationship can be an uplifting and healthy experience.

Plus, if you can successfully navigate the nuisances of marriage, no amount of darkside can get to you... you become undefeatable. :)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #321971 by

Manu wrote:

Arisaig wrote:
Many here also agree with the whole marriage thing. When approached properly, a relationship can be an uplifting and healthy experience.

Plus, if you can successfully navigate the nuisances of marriage, no amount of darkside can get to you... you become undefeatable. :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 9 months ago #322186 by
What a fascinating article! There's certainly a plethora of material in there to meditate and reflect upon.