Turing Test success not so much of a success?

More
9 years 10 months ago #149715 by Edan
Having seen Khaos' post about the computer that passed the Turing Test, I saw this today on the Telegraph website:

Warning: Spoiler!

Link to original webpost is here .

The scientist said that as Eugene was described to judges as a 13-year-old boy from Ukraine who learned English as a second language, some of the bizarre responses to questions could be explained away.

I find this a bit strange; surely passing the test would mean more if you were supposed to be talking to someone with the same level of English as you. I suppose though a 'pass' is a bit subjective; based on questions asked, length of period the test went on for, level of English of the people participating and so on.

This was someone else's criticisms...

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #149718 by Jestor
I saw both stories, and not Khaos' post...

I thought the same thing, if you are going to call it a success, needs to be same language, and length of the average phone call...(ten minutes? Im not sure of average phone call length...

Still interesting though...:)

Thanks for sharing...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #149721 by
the brain is just a organic machine, it can be copied one day and then a new race will be born : )

if were got into a war with the new race of robots whose side would you be on ???????????????

humans ?

robots ?

or both ?

if its both your a Jedi in my view : )
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by .

More
9 years 10 months ago #149722 by Wescli Wardest
I wonder though…

The brain is a biological “machine”, an organ that acts on bio-chemical and bio-electrical synapsis. It is thought that the folds in the brain form at an early age and create the connections that cause us to “think” the way we do. Each connection being unique to the individual and so on and so on. But might there be more to it than just what can be observed with current scientific equipment?

I believe we will be able to create a device that will store memories and make them accessible to other or ourselves at a later date; but, I’m not so convinced that we will be able to create a mechanical or digital brain that has independent thought. As it stands, all computer programs are just that, programs. A series of conditions, logic statements and outputs based on various inputs. I have no doubt that given time we can easily create an artificial intelligence that will seem to have independent thought…

But then that begs to ask, what makes our thought processes so unique? I might venture to place the starting point of that question in our dreams. Not only the ones we have while sleeping, but our waking dreams, our aspirations and maybe even our desires. One might also consider the ability to make decisions based off emotional responses. So I would set the prerequisite for AI to be able to have an emotional response and either respond to it intellectually or not based on how that response coincides with desired outcome and severity of the emotion.

Monastic Order of Knights

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #149725 by
Perhaps one of our greatest failings is to think that we are somehow special and unique over and above other animals. Late last year or early this year it was concluded that many other animals are conscious, not as intelligent as we are, but conscious and self aware with personalities etc. Why is that significant? Because it brings up an important point -consciousness probably isn't that special.

There was a ted talk posted a while ago on the subject, we have always considered there to be some kind of special separation between us an our bodies (the Mind) which, as Watts points out, seems to act like a 'controller' but really no such thing exists, it just seems like that is the case. So without some kind of special Mind what else could explain it? That what we call consciousness is simply the product of a biological process and, like us, is nothing particularly special at all.

I am not a neuroscientist but that is probably the position I subscribe to.

More
9 years 10 months ago #149726 by Wescli Wardest
If there is nothing particularly special about conscience, then why would our beliefs state, “In the Force, and in the inherent worth of all life within it. In the sanctity of the human person.”?

I agree that people tend to elevate themselves above other forms of life and that can be a very disturbing thought, as history has shown us. And I believe there are varying degrees of intellectual capability throughout the living world.

A reductio ad absurdum could be made that if there is no more special about us, our sentience, awareness or thought; then we could consider the limited responses of a computer program to be a level of intellect that we should hold sacred and protect. :P Where it may come to that one day… I do not feel the time has come yet. :ohmy:

:laugh:

Monastic Order of Knights

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #149728 by
I wonder why you think it needs to be the same language, or that this language has to be english. It is not out of the realm of possibility that english wasnt even the first language for all the members of the research group.

Also, I have found that many arent capable of my vocabulary and understanding with english now. People who are not robots, and not from the Ukraine. Just poorly educated, and in many cases, they are having a harder time making me believe they are human.

I suppose it was the same angst present when computers started beating humans at chess.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #149729 by

I believe we will be able to create a device that will store memories and make them accessible to other or ourselves at a later date;

Cameras, flash drives, I phones, etc,etc, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUzFtWNOOOU

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #149730 by
Well conscience is not consciousness, but suffering is still suffering. There is also a key difference between a computer that has a command in it to say "Ow!" when you hit it and a computer that arrives at a conclusion to say "Ow!" because it feels it is being damaged and does not like it. That is the form of artificial intelligence we are striving for and that is a type of intelligence I think is perfectly reasonable to one day arrive at, though one has to wonder how much the chemical imbalances and random changes that we effect upon ourselves ultimately add up to the feeling of being human. Could a computer have an out of body experience or a feeling of enlightenment? That is a much bigger question, one I would be skeptical saying yes to.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #149731 by

Could a computer have an out of body experience or a feeling of enlightenment? That is a much bigger question, one I would be skeptical saying yes to.

Why?

Humans themselves cannot truly quantify these concepts to any real degree. How then would an AI have any easier time doing so?

I think an AI would have a much easier time with the concept of OBE, given that it may not have a body as you understand it, not needing to be bound to a humanoid form to begin with.

It will also have access to the internet, which, for something so linked to it, would be consistent with OBE.

Enlightenment, well, I have no problem with an AI having sudden insights. How it came by those insights could be argumentive of programming, but then, what is training for humans if not programming?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi