Playing in the Shadows

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172590 by
Replied by on topic Playing in the Shadows
(I wonder if we're getting off topic here? It might be good for a mod to separate at some of the posts above this one. I have reported this post and will see what happens. Don't be alarmed!)

Two things. One, my Access Consciousness training, which has helped me to embrace my total self. I have been learning to accept all parts of me, including the nasty parts. I've also been learning to live without judgment, which is a process! But, it has helped me to stop seeing things in terms of morality, and to start seeing them as just... there, for it to exist. And, with this lack of judgment, I've been able to stop keeping myself down for the various things I feel I deserved to be held down for. Thus, I've been able to move on with my life and begin to think about stepping forward.

Really, baby steps!

The second thing has been to embrace my training here. I have been learning about vulnerability and empathy, which has helped me accept that I can be a shitty person sometimes. But, that being a shitty person is only a part of what makes me... me. I have been able to move on from that and attempt to be a shitty person less often.

:laugh:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 4 months ago #172593 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Playing in the Shadows

Connor L. wrote: (I wonder if we're getting off topic here? It might be good for a mod to separate at some of the posts above this one. I have reported this post and will see what happens. Don't be alarmed!)

Two things. One, my Access Consciousness training, which has helped me to embrace my total self. I have been learning to accept all parts of me, including the nasty parts. I've also been learning to live without judgment, which is a process! But, it has helped me to stop seeing things in terms of morality, and to start seeing them as just... there, for it to exist. And, with this lack of judgment, I've been able to stop keeping myself down for the various things I feel I deserved to be held down for. Thus, I've been able to move on with my life and begin to think about stepping forward.

Really, baby steps!

The second thing has been to embrace my training here. I have been learning about vulnerability and empathy, which has helped me accept that I can be a shitty person sometimes. But, that being a shitty person is only a part of what makes me... me. I have been able to move on from that and attempt to be a shitty person less often.

:laugh:

Lol. Yes, my curiosity has a habit of derailing things. But my curiosity is piqued. How has learning about empathy led you to accept that youre, as you say "a shitty person somedays"?

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172597 by
Because I more understand that narcissism is an inhibitor. Self-centeredness stunts movement on the Hero's Journey. It keeps me from seeing the bigger picture since I'm so focused on making ourselves pleasured and pampered.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
9 years 4 months ago #172599 by Brenna

Connor L. wrote: Because I more understand that narcissism is an inhibitor. Self-centeredness stunts movement on the Hero's Journey. It keeps me from seeing the bigger picture since I'm so focused on making ourselves pleasured and pampered.

All good points. I guess I'm not understanding how developing empathy has facilitated that for you. But no doubt everyone's experiences of it differ.

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172600 by
I don't think I can be empathetic and narcissistic/self-centered at the same time.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
9 years 4 months ago #172601 by Brenna

Connor L. wrote: I don't think I can be empathetic and narcissistic/self-centered at the same time.

No, I suppose not.

The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
9 years 4 months ago #172607 by Brenna

Connor L. wrote: It keeps me from seeing the bigger picture since I'm so focused on making ourselves pleasured and pampered.

What do you focus on instead?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172609 by
I don't actually have a focus right now. I'm more in the exploring phase. But, I am learning to let off the hose a bit on the hedonistic lifestyle.

A lot of these problems are caused by my mental condition, by the way. ADHD. I'm untreated, and I think a lot of my problems are particular to my condition. I hope some of this is helping.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172610 by
I do believe that all of us have got sometime been responsible of that. I understand I have. I want to accomplish better. Im unclear I am aware of what you imply. Are you able to elaborate?

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 4 months ago #172645 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Playing in the Shadows

Brenna wrote:

Connor L. wrote: Of course. :)

When we have a know-it-all attitude, we often do not put the time in to learn and grow. The responsibility as Jedi, as I discussed, is that willingness to know. So, generally people who "think" they know everything will have their path as Jedi impaired.

Do you think a know it all attitude is typical to Jedi?

More "humans" than "jedi" is how I read that....

I think Jedi are aware, and work to make it happen less...

But, we (Jedi) are susceptible, lol, thats for sure...:lol:...

Connor wrote: (I wonder if we're getting off topic here? It might be good for a mod to separate at some of the posts above this one. I have reported this post and will see what happens. Don't be alarmed!)

Nah, I think it is ok...

If another Mod disagrees, and wants to move it, I wont challenge it...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi