Non-Conformity...

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 8 months ago #156474 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Non-Conformity...

Khaos wrote: As for retraining, I have no idea what your talking about, so cannot respond.

I'm 85-90% on a smartphone around here...

That was a typo...:blush:....

Should have been "refrain"...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Llama Su

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 8 months ago #156477 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Non-Conformity...
I am regularly reminded by a rather clever person that I know, that it takes far more genius to operate creatively and uniquely within a defined framework than it does to throw out all the rules and do as you please.

I personally see value in being comfortable with both. There' a certain fluidity and freedom to it.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Wescli Wardest, Alexandre Orion, Edan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #156530 by
Replied by on topic Non-Conformity...

Brenna wrote: I am regularly reminded by a rather clever person that I know, that it takes far more genius to operate creatively and uniquely within a defined framework than it does to throw out all the rules and do as you please.

I personally see value in being comfortable with both. There' a certain fluidity and freedom to it.

Well, it worked for Palpatine :evil:

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 8 months ago #156540 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Non-Conformity...

it takes far more genius to operate creatively and uniquely within a defined framework.

Unique and creative people, whether they pretend to be conformist or not, are not conformists. You can't both be unique and like everyone else, you can't create something new which is somewhat also usual.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #156551 by

Luthien wrote: I can behave in conformity rather well most of the time, while in other times I am really bad at selling it. I guess it has more to do with necessity over desire. My ability to see the play for how well people play their parts enables me to play my part with integrity and clear vision, while leaving myself a little room for improv. Needless to say, I'm an odd one and everybody knows it. :laugh:

I can relate to this. I work in a very conforming (regulated) industry. I am not a conformist, I am creative, have been called radical, stand out, am not very quiet or PC, surely/surly called a jerk by my critics behind my back and I still succeed in my career.

Sometimes I feel a little out in left field, that's to be expected. I'm not popular with some folks but popular with most. (If that is important to the nonconformist) It is some when a member of a group out of necessisty. I'm confident with who I am, conformist &or nonconformist as the situation calls for it. Can put up with a little BS but other than that they can kiss my assets. :-)

Is that making a case for a loose/tight conformist or nonconformist? :ohmy: :woohoo:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #156576 by
When it comes to conformity or non-conformity I just try to remember an episode of Community from season one. Basically the lesson at the end was that whether you do something because others want you to or you don't do it because they want you to, you're acting for them rather than for you.

Not conforming just to not conform is the same as conforming as far as I'm concerned.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #156586 by

Goken wrote:
Not conforming just to not conform is the same as .....

Seems dumb? :unsure:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #156589 by

Rickie The Grey wrote:

Goken wrote:
Not conforming just to not conform is the same as .....

Seems dumb? :unsure:

Are you asking if I think its dumb to not conform for the sole purpose of not conforming?

If you are then, while I probably wouldn't have phrased it so, I'd have to say yes. As I said, to me its the same as conforming to conform. It's not being true to yourself its trying to fit a pre-defined role.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #156590 by

Goken wrote: Not conforming just to not conform is the same as conforming as far as I'm concerned.

I think you just accurately defined "Hipster" :cheer:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #156591 by

Senan wrote:

Goken wrote: Not conforming just to not conform is the same as conforming as far as I'm concerned.

I think you just accurately defined "Hipster" :cheer:

Isn't it great how they all don't conform in the exact same way? lol :P

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi