Gisteron

More
9 years 8 months ago #153973 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Gisteron

scott777ab wrote: I was not wanting this,
why do all the interesting threads that start out interesting end up with this bull manure in them?

It's just the nature of conversation. If you talk to someone in person, you don't spend the entire time talking about one thing, flow means the subject changes or the feeling. Same with forums, one person says one thing and another picks up on one bit and it goes that way. Perhaps on forums just a little jog is needed just to get back to topic.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #153974 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Gisteron

scott777ab wrote: QUESTION 5: Do you agree or disagree that quantum mechanics seems to break down the normal laws of physics when you move from the macro level to the sub micro level?

I am more inclined to say I disagree, to be honest. Sure, to the layman, and especially considering all the misinterpretations the media and woo people spread quantum mechanics seems to be now what electricity was a century ago: magical. However, it happens to account for a good deal of phenomena, and makes remarkably accurate predictions in both its own field and in others. So counterintuitive as it may appear to be from the outside, if nothing else, it works, and it couldn't, if it was in strong incompatibility with earlier models such as relativity.
That being said, I'm no authority on quantum mechanics just yet and feel deeply uncomfortable judging its merits or implications from the superficial, nay, negligible knowledge that I have. However, I am a physics major and thus I may or may not have more to say on this topic in a few years.

As for the logical absolutes, since they are ultimately tautologous in nature, there is hardly a way for them to be wrong. Every fault with them that has been presented so far lied not so much with the principles as with misapplication of semantics and resulting fallacies. Cases where contradictions were saught where none were present, equivocation fallacies, mistakings of map and territory and similar structural mistakes. Where no fallacy is employed, the axioms are true. They really can't help but be true, either. In the end, if there can be absolute certainty about anything, this would have to be it - again, just due to the fact that they are tautologous and tautologies just can't help but be true.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #153976 by
Replied by on topic Gisteron
I've seen that word while reading. "Equivocation." But like I said I am taking the time to actually read up on this.
I'm just asking questions of you as they come to my mind is all.

Thanks for responding.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #154172 by
Gist I am still reading up on those 3 things. It is just not clicking in my head. So I did a google search for philosophy forums, and I am currently checking them out right now. I will get back to you with some more questions when I have them.

More
9 years 8 months ago #154194 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Gisteron
You might also want to check out math sites about this. Operating on the axiomatic method, much of math will come down and rely upon these logical principles, and since most of set theory can be illustrated quite well with diagrams it may help you see what those things mean. I'm also pretty sure that you are both familiar with and employing these rules every day. Human thinking is strictly bound by them, and if not all of the implications, the rules themselves are pretty intuitive, not least because they are tautologies.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #154339 by
Over at a friends house for a few days. So have not been reading.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi