Magical Coat Hangers (Dowsing)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #65623 by
This is mainly for Hannigan, because he says he can use coat hangers to sense the energy field of someone

I hope I am able to shed some light on your magical coat hangers and please no one take any offence. I'm not having a go, I'm rather amused by the and that is how my post should be read. I'm not insulting his personality (just his ridiculous ideas :P)

How it works

The way it works (from what he told me) is you hold two coat hangers and close your eyes then have someone stand a few feet/metres away from you

They then send 'positive energy' to you and this energy is picked up by the hangers and they move accordingly depending on the strength of the person's 'energy field'

The person holding the hangers closes their eyes (so they don't move the hangers based on what they see the other person doing) and then other people record what happens (for independent verification)

What actually happens

There are several things that could happen:

1. You are right and you are detecting someone's 'energy field'
2. Wind...
3. You are moving it yourself and just lying
4. You are utilising something called the Ideomotor Effect

Ideomotor Effect

The Ideomotor Effect is unconscious hand/body movements that are influenced by your own expectations and perceptions. Your body reacts reflexively without your conscious mind having any control

Thus when you think you are holding it still it is actually moving lots

Challenge: hold your hands out and keep them still :)

For those that want a definite answer to the question

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge/challenge-application.html

If you are sensing their energy field then prove it (and also win $1,000,000)

FYI no one (in the last 15 years) has ever been able to prove their supernatural power in a controlled scientific environment

In the mean time

Before you go and win your $1,000,000 (because you're right) try these things:

If the coat hangers are detecting the person's energy then surely you would not need to hold them?

If you held the hangers you might be moving them accidentally so the only way to be sure of course is the fix them to a table that doesn't move in a room with no drafts. That way when the person sends positive energy the coat hangers won't move and we'll be sure that you aren't moving them yourself :)

If someone is in control with their own energy (a 'master' energy-controller-influencer-person) then they would surely be able to regulate the amount of energy they influence at a given time

This way if they send out loads then the hangers will detect more and move more. But if they send out less they will move less

So what should be done is to have someone try this and then if we can accurately predict what will happen then you have some basis. The reason we predict is, as I'm sure you'd agree, we wouldn't want to make undue connections between past events would we? If our thoughts on what has happened on the past then they will be right in the future

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #65997 by
magical? who said this process has anything to do with magic? I am not a fan of slight of hand techniques.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #65998 by
When you do this for YOURSELF let us know. Until then your thoughts do not matter much on the topic.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #66000 by

MJ Hannigan wrote: When you do this for YOURSELF let us know. Until then your thoughts do not matter much on the topic.

There are a few lines of reasoning you can use as a rebuttal to my post but I'm afraid that is a poor one. Look at the following example as to why:

I have never sacrificed virgins to make rain fall and end a drought. That does not mean that I cannot say with great certainty that doing so will do absolutely nothing to weather patterns

And the 'magical' bit was more sarcastic than anything

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #66001 by
When you try things for yourself let me know. When you are ready to discuss this topic in a reasonible way let me know.

Have some respect on topics. A topic such as "Magical Coat Hangers" wins you no respect from me. To be honest it takes away respect.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #66003 by
You presented me with a situation and made some claims about it

All I am doing is merely telling you my thoughts on it. You do not have to accept what I've said, but I ask only that you consider them on the basis that you might be wrong

Personally I would want to ensure that what I thought wasn't adversly because of me jumping to conclusions before I had considered all of the possibilities

If you take anything away from this take that with you

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 9 months ago #66004 by ren
Hannigan, didn't you use to call yourself a witch ?

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #66005 by
When did I say magic was involved. By the way I think you meant to use the term Magickal not magical. There is a huge difference between the two.

When you are going to look at this topic in a respectable way let me know.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #66006 by

ren wrote: Hannigan, didn't you use to call yourself a witch ?

Does not matter on this topic.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #66007 by

MJ Hannigan wrote: When did I say magic was involved. By the way I think you meant to use the term Magickal not magical. There is a huge difference between the two.

When you are going to look at this topic in a respectable way let me know.

My choice of words was not the most appropriate and for that I apologise

The points made however are still valid

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi