Fasting?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #47729 by
Replied by on topic Re: Fasting?
Wow! Just finished watching "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" (free on hulu), wicked inspirational! Thanks for recommending it Planet of Chaos, I'm definitely going to try a 10 day juice fast, just gotta get me a juicer first...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #47739 by
Isn't it cool? It's everything I've ever known about juicing unfolding in front of you.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #47744 by
Just finished watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. WOW!

Need to think. Might give it a go.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #47764 by
Hey, this is not an abnormal reaction to this movie. I've known about juicing my whole life but I didn't know it could do this! If anyone wants to do a juice fast, I'll be happy to do it with you for support. It's not the easiest thing in the world, but it's also not the hardest either. I've been think about doing mine around the spring equinox to clean out before the new seasonal year.

More
12 years 3 months ago #50237 by Garwa Mayharr
Replied by Garwa Mayharr on topic Re: Fasting?
WOW, All I can say is that I am shocked at how much this can make a differences in someones life. I am going to give it ago and "Reboot".

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #50242 by
Hey, guys! Here's a thought. I was probably gonna do my 10 day reboot around the spring equinox. Maybe some of you would like to do it with me? I've been juicing my breakfast for a month now in preparation. It's working! It's helped my mood, I've been dropping pounds, and I've been eating much healthier now. Let me know! The more support in a fast, the better! It's also a great chance for fellowship amongst Jedi!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #50285 by
Hello!

I'm a Muslim and I've been fasting every Ramadan for the last 12 years. I'm not sure how familiar you are with how Muslims fast during Ramadan, but I'll explain. We do not eat OR drink a single thing so long as the sun is up. Once the sun is done setting, we end our fast for the day with a big meal and plenty of fluids. Before the sun rises the next day, many people also drink or eat something, too. It's not a full-on 1-month fast, but more like several periods of fasting in 1-day cycles over the course of 1 month. And during Eid-ul-Fitr, the 2-day holiday after Ramadan, Muslims all around the globe pig out and celebrate! It's so much fun and super-rewarding!

I honestly love Ramadan and I look forward to it every year. The month is so special to me because it's the only time I get to have meals altogether with my family in spite of our hectic work schedules. I love getting up so early it's still dark outside for a good, healthy breakfast with my family with the smell of tea and dates filling the air. In the evening, I can never eat/drink a whole lot because my stomach just can't take it after a full day of consuming absolutely nothing. The first week usually feels almost like a disaster, but the rest of Ramadan becomes easier as you learn to adapt and adjust your body and habits.

One of the most valuable lessons besides the beauty of family of which I am reminded every Ramadan is how much time we spend on food and how unnecessarily dependent we make ourselves on it. It's one thing to feed yourself purely for nourishment - it's another thing when we use food to pass time and to satisfy gluttonous cravings. It is also highly encouraged to restrain oneself during Ramadan from more worldly activities like listening to music, watching TV, playing video games, chit-chatting for the sake of chit-chatting, etc. I feel like I have so much extra time on my hands during Ramadan simply because I am forced not to munch about, let alone keeping away from somewhat frivolous activities.

Plus, I frequently undo many bad habits that I might have managed to adopt over the course of a year which are spiritually damaging in one way or another. Ramadan is not only a month of fasting from food and drink, but of worldly activities that otherwise bind us from spiritually developing ourselves.

I try to encourage my non-Muslim friends in joining me in fasting during Ramadan. And the best thing is that you are definitely not alone in fasting during that month! Fasting with friends and/or family is the best!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi