Fasting?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #47364 by
Fasting? was created by
I wonder how other Jedi in the Order feel about fasting. Has anybody tried any of the numerous types of fasting (master cleans, juice fast, religious fast, etc) ?

I bring it up because I had watched this movie called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. I recommend it to anyone who has a Netflix account. I won't tell you too much because I would like you to see it for yourself. I did find it fairly profound, though. I've been having fresh vegetable juice since I was little. I had known about the benefits of it for a long time. But this was the first time I had actually seen somebody do a 60 day juice fast and seen the results. Amazing! Your body doesn't starve because what you're consuming is very nutrient dense substance. Yet, you get hydrated and cleaned out at the same time.

It would seem important to me that Jedi at least have an opinion in regards to fasting. Since every other religion in the world seems to. I think it may hold the key at least in some respect to exploring the world that is our mind/body. Forging a clean vessel for the force to reside. Discuss!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #47389 by
Replied by on topic Re: Fasting?
Growing up Mormon I remember fasting quite a bit.

Every Sunday you were expected (unless you were a child, or pregnant) to abstain from breakfast and lunch and not eating again until dinner. So if you didn't eat while you slept the previous night, haha, it would be a 24 hour fast. You then would donate the money you would've spent on the food to the church.

The Mormons also fasted to help with physical or spiritual ailments. They believe and teach that fasting shows your humility to God and that God would be more willing to answer your prayers by fasting. There are stories from the Bible of Kings fasting to gain God's pleasure. Jesus also taught that certain devils wouldn't come out of individuals except by fasting and prayer.

Personally, I don't have any problems with fasting. I hear there are even positive effects on the body by abstaining from meals once in a while; it kind of gives your body, i.e. digestive system a break.

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #47390 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Fasting?
Two things come to mind, lack of dietry nutrients (bone strength, muslce mass, immune capability, etc etc!) and possible toxins released from the breakdown of fat tissue. I read somewhere once that fat tissue can store toxins indefinatly, but I guess things like that dont become a problem unless the person has a sensitivity to allergy to them, is already sick or maybe elderly.

Fasting might have some uses though, warning I studied a bit of uni microbiology, may offend Muslims but it is not intended too, a bit yucky:
Warning: Spoiler!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by Adder.

More
12 years 4 months ago #47393 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Fasting?
Also;
"Calorie restriction without malnutrition[1] has been shown to improve age-related health and to slow the aging process in a wide range of animals and some fungi."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie_restriction

Some people eat less to try and live longer.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 4 months ago #47400 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Fasting?
I wonder why people want to live longer. The average life expectancy is already high.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #47404 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Fasting?

ren wrote: I wonder why people want to live longer. The average life expectancy is already high.

"It is right to live when it is time to live, and right to die when it is time to die"

I'm not afraid to die....

But, if it was deemed I could squeak more time outta my life, I could enjoy the journey even longer...

A few more laughs, a few more tears, a few more surprises...

I'd be ok with that too....
;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by Jestor.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #47406 by
Well, I think people want to live longer for many reasons.

1. Fear of dying; prolonging the living experience as much as possible.

2. Interest in what's around the corner, possibly.

3. Some people have many earthly attachments: friends, family, money, work.. etc

But for me, I have a feeling I'm gonna live to be pretty old. At that point, it becomes necessary to just hold on to your health as long as possible. Most people don't know how tough it is to get old.

"If I knew I'd live this long, I would have taken better care of myself." Mickey Mantle

Otherwise, in terms of fasting, fresh juice it seems might help prolong life in the best way. Being that fresh juice is full of micro-nutrients, you can have an entire days serving of fruits and vegetables in one glass. The most important thing is enzymes. The biological catalysts that move nutrients though the cell wall and also help develop nutrients into amino acids for cellular replication. Your personal enzymes naturally decrease as you get older, so you need more help from the things you put in your body.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 4 months ago #47410 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Fasting?
Living longer doesnt mean living well. People usually stop travelling on their own around 70, if they die at 80 it's ok, at 90 that's 20 years! So imagine at a 100 or more. What's the point if they're just going to stay in a home/hospoital. Certain things, no matter how good your diet, will go. Some of those things are your brain... Why spend years forgetting your life every 5 minutes.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 4 months ago #47411 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Fasting?

Why spend years forgetting your life every 5 minutes.

Every five minutes, a "new" adventure.... ;)

And that just depends... Why give up because it "could" end tomorrow?

If I break my hip, learning to rock climb at 80, more power to me!!
B)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #47413 by
I think that I would like to get as many minutes as possible in this lifetime. It seems to me that if the here after is eternal, I'll have time when I get there. For now, "I Love The Trees...Remember the Trees".

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi