What system do you study?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42370 by
Replied by on topic Re: What system do you study?
I have been part of the Bujinkan for 7 years and have trained in quite a few forms of Tai Jutsu( art of using the body). I have also had a degree of weapons training having practiced kenjutsu and battojutusu, yari(spear), jutte, kusari fundo(chain), bo staff and many more. In the traditional japanese Ryu-ha weapons training and unarmed training are not separated. They go together, and compliment each other.

Same goes for striking based unarmed styles and grappling based ones.These things are farely recent and were developed in a time of peace. A complete martial art developed in a time of war has both grappling and striking. This is why many karate practitioners feel the need to practice judo to complete their training properly. A true martial artist can fight at all levels.

Eh i guess I've just started to ramble... bottom line is a i practice traditional Japanese martial arts!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42428 by
My initial training was in Judo at the age of four. I commenced training in the Kodokan Lineage, whose philosophy revolved around the principle of "Maximal Efficiency - Mutual Welfare and Benifit." I trained, graded and competed to the level of 2nd kyu or nikyu, at the Australian State Titles.

At this stage, my CT disorder was not diagnosed, but there followed a rapid increase in injury as a result. I eventually retired from Judo after six dislocations, two fractures and uncountable subluxations at the age of 14.

I moved on to Wing Chun Kung Fu, training under Sifu Dana Wong and Grandmaster William Cheung who taught Bruce Lee. The principle of simultaneous attack and retreat, coupled with the flexiblity of direct line and circular forms allowed me to compensate for my injuries and inherent structural weaknesses. I worked to become proficient in xiǎo niàn tóu (empty hand) and xún qiáo (bridging the gap) forms but found progressing to the more trying and extreme biāo zhǐ forms resulted in too much injury to be worthwhile for me. I have used both butterfly swords and the long pole in form demonstrations, although never in competition, preferring to these weapons to hone my awareness.

I also practice traditional (barebow) longbow archery, with a preference for field over target archery. I make my own arrows, which is laborious but rewarding, and motivates me to keep searching for the inevitable losses that occur when a shot goes wide!

I also practice Anusara Yoga, which is an important pain reliever and overall meditation aide for me.

I haven't participated in competitive martial arts outside of archery for about three years. I carry a lot of injury these days, and the benefit of competition doesn't offset the pain of acquiring new ones! That being said, I train five days a week to maintain fitness and form. I think that if you really catch the bug, it becomes a part of you and I can't ever imagine giving up my katas and forms :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43817 by
I trained Muay thai and Chinese kickboxing, Boxing, Wrestling, and Jiu Jitsu. I am looking into beginning instruction in kendo as sword play has always been a fascination and goal of mine to learn.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43822 by
I study and teach Isshinryu Karate. Ive been doing martial arts since I was 8, I'm 41 now. I have picked up things from other people who studied other styles also. My style teaches not only empty hands but weapons also.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43917 by
Rei ..Greetings Each

Rather like what I have read on this page .Japanese Martial arts being 'one' had a fe heated debates over that. I agree with you as it happens,

Finding an art which you can practice to avoid pain and injury 'not giving up' I applaud that well done you.

Looking for another goal and doing something totally different .Like that to

Willing to learn from other arts..now that's quite rare these days.

I've trained in a few arts myself . no particularly good at any of them but I enjoy it it becomes a way of life . I realized some time ago that I would never master the techneques as I dont have enough time in life.,but gladly I'm old enough to absorb the philosiphy behind it and that has improved me as a human being.

I'm no master or authority on any martial art. But I think those that are true to the arts embrace all the knowledge they can and then pass it on :)

Yours in the spirit of Budo

Mike

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44237 by
I studied (years ago) Ascrima, but didn't train long enough to attain a rank.

I also do Kenpo Karate once in a while for training.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44275 by
Is it important to study some for of matial arts? I work out, and am trying to be healthier, but due to my living environment (Rural Kentucky) I don't have a lot of options. just a Karate School, one that I tried and never really liked.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44277 by
Martial Arts can be a benefit but aren't strictly necessary if you have no access to a form that you get along with. Until you find something appropriate, how about trying something like Qigong? There are a couple of good YouTube videos for "shibashi qigong" that would be easy to follow. They're not very "physical" but are great at improving your health and experience of energies.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 5 months ago #44282 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: What system do you study?
I like savate, canne de combat and muay thai.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44312 by
i practice tai chi chuan

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi