What system do you study?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 7 months ago #25780 by
What system do you study? was created by
I don't know if anybody has posted a topic along these lines yet so apologies if they have but what (if any) systems have you all studied? What benefits have you gained from them?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 7 months ago #25798 by
Replied by on topic Re:What system do you study?
that is a very hard question to answer. what do you mean by 'system'?

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #25803 by Garm
Replied by Garm on topic Re:What system do you study?
I'm assuming martial arts systems

so if that's it;

I practiced Chito Ryu Karate until Shodan (first Dan)
and currently practice Shotokan Karate and now at Nidan (second Dan) Both are Okinawan styles.

Throughout my martial path I have also studied Eishin Ryu Iaido
(the art of drawing the Japanese sword)
and Seitei-gata Iaijutsu
(Iaijutsu is the art of killing on the draw)

In todays modern world those Japanese definitions sound kinda brutal. While they follow the traditional instruction of sword use (Katas have names like 'Sudden Draw', 'Charging the Tiger' and 'Assisting at Seppuku') the practice actually develops mental focus, combining physical speed, balance and precision of movement as you control the katana.

And most of all...it's fun ;)
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by Garm.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 7 months ago #25820 by
That's what I meant Garm, system or style meaning the same thing:)

I practice Wado Ryu which although founded by a Japanese Hironori Ohtsuka he only studied Karate under Okinawan teachers, Funakoshi and two others whose names I can't recall at the moment, (Motubo seems to ring a bell though).

According to some sources Ohtsuka Sensei had mastered Ju Jitsu (ShindM YMshin-ryk) by the age of twenty and there is no doubt that there is a huge influence from this incorporated into Wado Ryu as it has more throws than any other karate style that I have seen. Ohtsukas knife defenses are used as a standard to this day.

I have also practiced Judo, Kick boxing, Ju Jitsu, Tai Chi and Qigong.

Light and peace,

MTFBWY, Matt.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 7 months ago #25822 by
I studied Okinawan Goju for a long time under Ceaser Martinez. He studied under Keith Urban of American Goju. I also have a little Kali from my Filipino friend I grew up with and hung-ga from my picking the brain of a friend that owns a martial arts school. For the past 5 yrs I've been studying Medieval and Renaissance Martial Arts. That's what I'm still doing to this day. There's some other stuff in there but it's really not worth mentioning.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 7 months ago #25826 by
Archery most recently - not kyudo as the facilities dont exist in my region but the advantages of kyodo are applicable to all forms of archery.

Before any barks otherwsie - archery is a martial art as is pistol/rifle shoting - based on the definition of the term 'martial art' - even horse riding can be construed as such.... anyway

others ive dabbled in -

Judo,
Aikido,
Iaido - Kendo (and a few assorted similar others)
Karate

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 7 months ago #25842 by
i've been looking into starting a martial art. There are many \"Karate\" schools in my area but, not many seem to really grasp my attention as a student. I was wondering if anyone had heard of Chaiyon Ryu (spelling?). If you have what are your thoughts? I've also been looking into a few Shaolin schools, though they come w/ a hefty price.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 7 months ago #25878 by
I would certainly count archery as a martial art, I did a lot of it a long time ago, I shot recurves, longbows and compounds and came third in a national tournament, although I didn't get the third place prize as I wasn't a memeber of the organisation who arranged the shoot.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 7 months ago #25881 by
yeah - cruddy rules in archery - it seems to me that most organisations dont like to think people can train themselves to shoot without being a member of a club etc and dont they all just adore those unfair ranking systems - that is pretty much what ive shot in the past - I only shoot compo now tho due to health issues but im determined to learn (teach myself) kyudo - Id like to build my own longbow as well at some point.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 7 months ago #25882 by
There is a lot of politics and backbiting among the organisations for archery in England. The biggest (and supposed governing) one has shot itself in the foot several times as world class bowmen (and women) have resigned due to the pettyness of the organisation and because of this they have effectively quit international competition.

When I came third in the national I was asked not to come back as I asked for my entry fee back because I felt I shouldn't jhave paid it if I wasn't in contention for the prizes!:lol:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi