Native American Religions

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago #100469 by
Replied by on topic Native American Religions
I have quite a few Native American friends having grown up very near a reservation.
Was there a particular tribe you are interested in, or just general?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago #100483 by
Replied by on topic Re: Native American Religions
I'm no expert on Native American Religions however I have studied and still study the tribal system of life. As far as I know this is so far the only system that creates an equilibrium between humans and nature.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago #100489 by

rrhodes67 wrote: Just wondering if anyone has studied various Native American Religions. It's something I'm interested in, but I'm not sure which books are good and which are just hooey.

Without being specific what State or large city are in or near? I'll find some leads for follow up on. Once you start talking to people in the native community you will find out a lot. We have an active community in Rochester New York if you want that info.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #100493 by J_Roz
Replied by J_Roz on topic Re: Native American Religions
*looks around.......*

Well I am Native American and do participate quite a bit in tribal activities. I can speak our language and try to be as traditional as possible when it comes to most of the customs.

I'm Ojibwe/Chippwa/Anishanabe (same tribe different ways to identify)

I also went to college to become an anthropologist so I can help tell the story of the Native North and South American because no one seems to give a fig about history in this side of the world before 1492.

So I don't know how qualified I am but I am the genuine article. Is there anything I can help with?

May the Force be with you Always
Roz

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
The following user(s) said Thank You: , steamboat28, Jestor, Wescli Wardest, ,

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #100495 by Jestor
Just like studying any other path...

There is a lot of hooey out there... Prolly more hooey, than good info, although Im sure the good info is plentiful too...

Roz, I would disagree with your saying their is a lack of interest, but, history isnt something most people like until they are older, and without the free time...

Kids, those with the most free time, are too busy with other stuff...lol...

I too, am of native american decent, but Im so watered down, that it is pointless for me to worry about it...

But, It is American history, as well as the Europeans coming here...

Excuse me a second...

[getting on soapbox]

That is the trouble here in America...

We forget there was a culture here before the Europeans... Had columbus stayed where he was, or they not taken over the land, we would have developed differently...

Just as the Asians and Europeans did... They basically share one huge block of land, yet are vastly different...

What would America have been like had the Native Americans been allowed to grow as the predominant race?

So, instead, things have gone the way they have...

And, why do so many Americans feel the loss of 'roots'?

Cause we didnt grow from this land...

We were 'given' it from our ancestors who took it from the native people...

And, like children, we are only concerned for what we could make/have/obtain, and not how to care for what was already there... Big spoiled children...

As a country, we care more about the opinions of our 'big brother and sister' countries, and how we are viewed in their eyes...

And honestly, while they love us as siblings, and for what we can bring to the table, they also despise us for little whiny children who act like brats...

We need to suck it up, close our doors, and work on ourselves...

Find out who we are, find our center, nationally...

OK, IM done, lol

[/off soapbox]

So, anyway, there are interested parties Roz...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, J_Roz, Wescli Wardest, , Brenna

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago #100496 by
My grandmother was French/Mohawk. My daughter is Mohawk. ;)

Check this out if you wish:

http://www.ganondagan.org/

It's a great place. Peter Jemison is an Elder Leader.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #100562 by J_Roz
Replied by J_Roz on topic Re: Native American Religions
No problems Jestor. ;) I'll agree to disagree. There is interest to a point but not to the point of major digs and such like there is in Egypt and thats sad. We have an amazing archeological history right out our back door and most people miss it day to day, without a second thought. I agree with everything you said as well.

Here is the other problem. I can't just recommend a book. I need to know what you are looking for. Thats like asking a mechanic of Toyota Prius's to take a look at a 1990 Ford 150. Or like an expert of Medieval England to talk about the Medieval era of Japan. They may have an understanding of what was going on but if you want to really know what happened you need to go the source.

Some stuff out there is really well written and some of it is bunk. I can talk about the woodland people all day long but I cannot speak but generally about what was the correct for someone on the West Coast.

90% of pop culture about Native Americans is also bunk. Throw all those movies right out the window. Including Dances with Wolves. I remember almost falling off a chair when I heard an elder get really mad in particular with that movie and hollering out "Theres no such thing as Dances with Dobermans or whatever that damn movie is called!". I laughed so hard, my sides hurt for a long time after that.

Also of note is that each tribe and group is considered its own country in relation to the United States. Each one has to be dealt with in its own ways with its own treaties and such. So what might be true for the Ojibwe will not be true for an Apache.

To add further is that we are dealing with remnant populations of people, some of them in what would be considered third world countries, such as Pine Ridge in SD. Mr. Columbus when he bobbed over the ocean with his buddies wiped out at least 90% of the entire population of Native North and South America without firing a shot due to the massive diseases that hit like wildfire. Also most of these people are less than 100 years off the reservation or tribal type lifestyle. My own grandmother went through the assimilation period. Thats two generations back.

It wasn't even until the 1970's that Native Americans were even allowed to practice their spirituality.

So understandably a lot of Native Americans are very bitter.

I want to help tell their side of the story. Its what I've always wanted to do. So I will help you where I can and I do have a lot of friends across the country. So ask away but be specific with what you are looking for. If you want something general I'd advise you to look at a college anthropology textbook. If you want specific tribe then I can help you dig it out further.

May the force be with you always,
Roz

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago #100564 by
I'm curious as to why you'd have to be specefic with your question. The author of the post said various Native American religions. Couldn't a person easily offer a book suggestion based off the customs and tribes they're familiar with? If I had a good book about the Lakota I would share it...even if that might not be exactly what they're looking for. You never know, information about one tribe could spark interest in the other tribes.

I mean, you have to start somewhere, right? It's like a job. "We can't hire you until you have experience." "But if I can't get hired then how do I get experience?"

How can you be specific about a question if you have little or no knowledge about the topic?

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #100578 by Wescli Wardest
Very true Wendaline. I would hope that the author already has some questions formed though... hope. :unsure:

The reason I suggested speaking with a person rather than just reading a book is because people are a wealth of knowledge and experience. For example, I have read many books on WWII, but I feel I never learned more about it then when I sat down and listened to the ones that were there.

Beliefs and religions are very similar. Because, they are just as living as the people who cherish them. And they live and grow as we do. Also, a person is interactive and you can explore a multitude of avenues in a short while... things and places that might not be covered in just one book.

Which I am sure you already know all this... I just like to ramble. :P

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago #100586 by
I just so happened to be reading a book called Native American Wisdom. One of the most important things I get from this book is when the Nez Perse Chief Joseph said:

"We do not want churches because they will teach us to quarrel about God!"

Also in the writings it talks about education being handed down from mother to daughter and father to son. Learning was not done by books, but by example.

I await the lessons to come from this thread jedi_roz.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi