Native American Religions

More
9 years 5 months ago #166762 by J_Roz
Replied by J_Roz on topic Native American Religions
Kitsu,

Fiction is Fiction. ;) As long as you state it as such, in the mainstream you have some freedom. Heck look at what was done with the Native Tribe in the Twilight Series. Fiction.

A lot of those questions you will have to talk to a Navajo about. The Navajo Reservation is one of the poorest in the United States, some places still do not have running water. A lot of them do not have the means to be able to leave the reservation.

Education? Difficult. For the above reasons. There are federal grants and such available for minorities and sometimes kids get full scholarships and such but this is pretty common throughout Indian Country. Can they successful elsewhere. Sure. We all have hobbies. :D

Some would travel if they could. The Navajo Code talkers were all young men who joined the War for WWII and it was because of their language that the Nazi's couldn't figure out what the US was up to. It was the only code unbroken in the war effort.

Skinwalkers. Again will have to dig deeper into Navajo culture for that. Everyone is different. In some tribes skin walkers are simply shape shifters and are a good thing.

Could I recommend a fantastic book for you?
Its called "The Scalpel and the Silver Bear" by Lori Arviso Alvord M.D. and Elizabeth Cohen Van Pelt
Its about the first woman surgeon of the Navajo and how she combines western medicine and traditional practices. Its full of cultural references and how she is sensitive to her peoples wishes.

Also check out:
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/
That's the Native American's version of The New York Times or USA Today. You can specifically search for Navajo related articles etc.

Another great place to look at is
http://www.southwestindian.com/
This is a company that directly works with the Navajo, the Zuni and the Hopi. All profits are invested right back into these tribes to help them in whatever way needed from setting up better housing to bringing in running water. They have some great information on what they do to help those tribes. I order a lot of my teaching suits from here for this reason.

Hope that helps!
Roz

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166764 by
Replied by on topic Native American Religions

Jedi_Roz wrote: Kitsu,

Fiction is Fiction. ;) As long as you state it as such, in the mainstream you have some freedom. Heck look at what was done with the Native Tribe in the Twilight Series. Fiction.

The "Fiction" I am writing is based on real Modern events with a fictional flare. So...The research into the actual history of Navajo is very important in a profound attempt to stay close to the real culture as is possible.....with some writer magic for the fun fictional part :) Sure I could just make it all up....but that is not my intent or desire. If at all possible...I would love to stay real on this matter.

A lot of those questions you will have to talk to a Navajo about.

If you know any willing to speak with me through e-mail or anyother medium Id gladly accept such an honor to ask. As of right now...I do not have that option.

Could I recommend a fantastic book for you?
Its called "The Scalpel and the Silver Bear" by Lori Arviso Alvord M.D. and Elizabeth Cohen Van Pelt
Its about the first woman surgeon of the Navajo and how she combines western medicine and traditional practices. Its full of cultural references and how she is sensitive to her peoples wishes.

Also check out:
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/
That's the Native American's version of The New York Times or USA Today. You can specifically search for Navajo related articles etc.

Another great place to look at is
http://www.southwestindian.com/
This is a company that directly works with the Navajo, the Zuni and the Hopi. All profits are invested right back into these tribes to help them in whatever way needed from setting up better housing to bringing in running water. They have some great information on what they do to help those tribes. I order a lot of my teaching suits from here for this reason.

Hope that helps!
Roz

Thank you! I will look into them ^_^

More
9 years 5 months ago #166893 by J_Roz
Replied by J_Roz on topic Native American Religions
I'm sorry I don't know any Navajo to refer you to. If I did I would be happy to. I'm from Wisconsin so I'm a long way away from there. ;) Good luck on your research!

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #168894 by Tarran
Replied by Tarran on topic Native American Religions
AH! I'm sorry if I should have read through all the pages of this thread first, but I really should sleep soon - but I know if I wait, I'll forget.

I am, tribal-wise, Siksika (Niitsitapi... that is to say, of the Blackfoot Confederacy), Kanien'kehá:ka ("Mohawk") and Cree ("Oji-Cree"/Ojibwa-Cree) - but as far as Mohawk-Cree, many of us just say "Creehawk" - it's just easier :P lol

Now, I'm quite a mutt, so from another branch of the family tree, there is also Mi'kmaq and Winnebago (Woodland Sioux). And Non-Native blood is mainly Norse and Canadian-French (among other things).

Spiritual philosophy-wise, that would be Sundance/Vision Quest and Haudenosaunee ("Longhouse") philosophies.

Now, while I claim no proficiency in expert-level data, I have in fact "walked the red road" so to speak, and have lived the life as much as I've been able, "travelling the path of a True Human Being". Whether I have trodded with any amount of adeptitude along that path is up for others to judge, but yes, I'm fairly familiar with the way.

So, if anyone feels like they'd like to ask me anything (though again, I am NOT a wellspring of authoritative info lol), I certainly wouldn't mind answering to the best of my ability (which is quite finite, admittedly).

Anywho, it shouldn't hurt to try me ;) :D

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Tarran.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #168944 by

Tarran wrote: Kanien'kehá:ka ("Mohawk")

Me too! I am 3/8ths and lived on Tyendinaga Territory my whole life.

More
9 years 5 months ago #168998 by Tarran
YAY!! What up, bruh! :D lol

Se:kon! Skennen kowa ken? :D

The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #169001 by
I have found some information about the subject here: http://www.theglobalreality.com/documentaries/the-lost-secrets-of-ancient-america-volume-1

there is a second part as well and many other ancient American legends
force be with us

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #169008 by

Tarran wrote: YAY!! What up, bruh! :D lol

Se:kon! Skennen kowa ken? :D

Hen. Skennen kowa?

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #169009 by Tarran
Hakie :D

Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Tarran.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi