• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #197902 by Brenna

Kamizu wrote:
But as Jedi, do we not do the little bit extra to do what's right?

Yup.

I'm not too good an artist, not enough that Ive had anything stolen (Live in hope right!) But I am a very good writer, and I regularly come across my work uncredited on websites and even a newspaper once (with someone else taking credit). It particularly irks me when people feel they have a right to intellectual property simply because its out there and easy to take. And I'm totally with Steam on this one, not just for the reasons he has stated (which are all good reasons), but because when my work is used without my permission, it ends up being associated with groups or people I would never professionally work with, and when I'm not credited, it casts doubt on the authenticity of my own work (in the newspaper incident, they tried to claim I had stolen THEIR article)

That said, I have been caught by the meme thing before, thinking "oh, well its a meme and its everywhere and its perfect for what im trying to say, so ill just share it along side the article" At the time I didnt actually think far enough to consider the author of the image. And when I was contacted about it I didnt feel like I had done wrong, but regardless of my intentions, I did. An apology and the whole thing was forgotten.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, Kit, Avalon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #197913 by
what is meme thing?

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
8 years 9 months ago #197957 by Brenna
In the context Ive used it, its catchy pictures that get shared very quickly around the internet

A meme (/ˈmiːm/ meem) is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture".

I remember reading a book when I was much younger (and honestly, too young to understand most of it) but I was intrigued by the thought the author put forward that the majority of the human culture was incapable of original thought and that we and our beliefs are simply a collection of memes.

And if you think about how we learn and develop (and how our brain is "programmed") certainly seems that way sometimes!

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #197968 by

Mareeka wrote: what is meme thing?

If you read "God Wants You Dead" (in the Temple Library), there is a great explanation of memes. A good example would be the Jesus Fish. It is just a fish symbol, but a group of people associated a meaning with it and it spread from person to person until now it is widely associated with Christianity.

That same meme had legs and the word "Darwin" added to it to become a new idea shared from person to person and thus a new meme.

Memes are always evolving.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi