certainly learning a lot about what they can do first hand
if there is more . . .please pm
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 9 months ago #197739 by Jestor

Kamizu wrote:

Jestor wrote:

Kitsu Tails wrote: Jestor. Can you please delete the posts with Kamzu's picture? I am done with this conversation.

Done...

Please take the conversation private should one of you feel the need to discuss that further, thanks...

Hiding the problem isn't going to fix it Jestor. The image was never the problem to begin with.

The image wasnt removed to 'hide a problem'....

It was removed so that 1. it was not findable, and 2. as it was requested...;)

Avatars are like signatures for as long as you hold them. If I saw anyone else using this amazeballs avvie that CryojenX made me, I'd be super buttmad about it because

Steamboat...

I dig what you are saying...

And as I said, I would honor a DCMA...

Or even a simple request from the content creator... No need to BE ALL OFFICIAL about it, lol...

Using the art found on the internet in a image search, to me, as a layman, is akin to using a Picasso Painting, or a Pepsi Emblem as an avatar... When someone comments on my avatars, I say, "I am not sure who made it, I found it on the internet..."

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
8 years 9 months ago #197753 by steamboat28

Jestor wrote: Steamboat...

Or even a simple request from the content creator... No need to BE ALL OFFICIAL about it, lol...

Actually, Jestor, I do have to be all official about it. While it isn't like protecting a trademark, a copyright must still be enforced. I have let it go in the past and lost more than a fair bit of advertising revenue and royalties because I was "too nice" to issue a proper DCMA. It won't happen again.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 9 months ago #197754 by Jestor

steamboat28 wrote:

Jestor wrote: Steamboat...

Actually, Jestor, I do have to be all official about it. While it isn't like protecting a trademark, a copyright must still be enforced. I have let it go in the past and lost more than a fair bit of advertising revenue and royalties because I was "too nice" to issue a proper DCMA. It won't happen again.

I do understand what you mean...

What I meant, is that I do not require a formal request...

Not that you dont need to use one...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #197767 by Adder

Kamizu wrote:

Adder wrote: It does happen though quite easily, people save stuff locally they like and quite simply forget not only where they got it but any information about who created it.

Easy fix, you save the image name as the title and creator so you can look it up later to credit the artist.

Yes its a good idea that I've actually done before, but its less likely to work as it requires the downloader to take time to do something 'extra' for someone else - probably an unrealistic or at least unlikely ask.

Another idea is for the content creator to do it at the get go; save their images with their names/alias as the filename. The artist has to use something anyway for a filename when saving it - and it works to the laziness of the downloader because they most often will not bother changing the filename when they save it.

It's a good way to store images as well for the downloader as they can archive them according to artist.... also some (most?) file format's have a set of 'properties' information which can have things like author, date, location etc encoded into the image itself AFAIK - obviously both easy to get around but then that would require active deceit by the downloader to contravene those aspects which is a much more clear intent to steal if doing that sort of stuff.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Adder.

More
8 years 9 months ago #197771 by Edan

Adder wrote: It's a good way to store images as well for the downloader as they can archive them according to artist.... also some (most?) file format's have a set of 'properties' information which can have things like author, date, location etc encoded into the image itself AFAIK - obviously both easy to get around but then that would require active deceit by the downloader to contravene those aspects which is a much more clear intent to steal if doing that sort of stuff.

On iOS there's an option for 'info'.. I usually put the artist name and the webpage I found it so I can go back later on.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

More
8 years 9 months ago #197772 by Kit

Adder wrote:

Kamizu wrote:

Adder wrote: It does happen though quite easily, people save stuff locally they like and quite simply forget not only where they got it but any information about who created it.

Easy fix, you save the image name as the title and creator so you can look it up later to credit the artist.

Yes its a good idea that I've actually done before, but its less likely to work as it requires the downloader to take time to do something 'extra' for someone else - probably an unrealistic or at least unlikely ask.

But as Jedi, do we not do the little bit extra to do what's right?

The rest of your post, although interesting, wouldn't have helped me with this image. Thing is, it was never posted anywhere but as my avatar here and Skype two years ago. I never posted it anywhere else because, like a name, it didn't need to be. So it was saved to this website under whatever naming scheme it uses. It is found nowhere else on the internet.

Images downloaded from DeviantArt do use that naming scheme though.

More
8 years 9 months ago #197775 by Adder

Kamizu wrote:

Adder wrote:

Kamizu wrote:

But as Jedi, do we not do the little bit extra to do what's right?

The rest of your post, although interesting, wouldn't have helped me with this image. Thing is, it was never posted anywhere but as my avatar here and Skype two years ago. I never posted it anywhere else because, like a name, it didn't need to be. So it was saved to this website under whatever naming scheme it uses. It is found nowhere else on the internet.

Images downloaded from DeviantArt do use that naming scheme though.

Yea I'm not talking about the particular beef that might exist, just about the topic generally... you know spreading ideas etc :side:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

More
8 years 9 months ago #197776 by Kit

Adder wrote: Yea I'm not talking about the particular beef that might exist, just about the topic generally... you know spreading ideas etc :side:

:D fair enough! I apologize :) I assumed it was a "Here's how you could have prevented this" kind of thing :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #197779 by OB1Shinobi

Adder wrote: Yea I'm ... you know spreading ideas etc :side:

careful, they may be copyrighted!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi