How to get a group started?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #193271 by
Replied by on topic How to get a group started?
Whether or not starting a group would lead to a feeling of separation would depend a lot on the individuals and on how the group operated. I agree that any time a group is formed it has the potential to cause seperation. Us vs them, in and out, etc. If you look around most high school cafeterias it's all you see.

I like what Edan said about it being a support group. A place that they can go to talk about things. The one thing that the group would want to avoid would be group members feeling like being a part of the group defines them rather than the other way around. It's not there to label people, it's there so that they can share with people of like mind and experiences.

Personally, I've enjoyed reading some of the threads that were about various mental health issues and reading the experiences of people who have OCD, ADHD, various degrees of autism, and other mental health issues. It's rather enlightening since I am neuro-typical and don't have those same experiences or insights. I think that we've done a pretty good job of handling threads like that in the open forums.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 10 months ago #193273 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic How to get a group started?

OB1Shinobi wrote:
i wonder of theres anyone in the temple who WOULDNT join

Goken wrote: I think that we've done a pretty good job of handling threads like that in the open forums.

So if we all join, then is there a need for a "group", as there is the temple "forums", a somewaht bigger, all inclusive "group'?

:lol:... Just kicking ideas around...

Kamizu wrote: Oh something else I was thinking of is if the mental health side was going to be included in this group we have to be really careful about not giving out medical advice or the group being used instead of seeing a mental health professional for someone who really needs more.

Another concern, and one that is discussed in clergy discussions...;)

And Yes CryoJenX, we do enjoy discussion, lol....:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #193274 by
Replied by on topic How to get a group started?
It is always easy to split people intro 'Us vs them' Would it be an art to remove or decrease that feeling? Would it be an art to shape people by helping them to accept who they are, to act as a listening ear?

More important is that the youth section could be a 'them' to, but I do not hear problems often.. Maybe there are, not mine to know, but if a system is really needed it should get a change to proof itself. But i do not know how many members there are, that are requesting such groups.

It is always possible to connect one or more dedicated and trusted members with other people, like a buddy system. If groups are one step to far, and the demand is not high. A buddy could ensure a save way to talk about multiple subjects.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi