How to get a group started?

More
8 years 10 months ago #193207 by Breeze el Tierno
If it were private like the Knight group, that might suffice. I suspect it would end up operating more like a discussion group than anything else, region not being the variable at hand.

Assuming a knight was running it, you could trust that knight to moderate appropriately to avoid the "unauthorized teaching" rule. (I think that's a funny phrase. It makes it sound heretical, which makes it sound exciting.) No big worry there.

Also, thank you for using the term neuro-typical. I encountered it in Oryx and Crake. I thought I was the only person that used it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #193208 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic How to get a group started?

Akkarin wrote:

Kamizu wrote: In order to make it a "safe" group you'd need something more like the youth forums where no one else could see and that's still no guarantee.

Is there a prevalent risk of such a thing occurring? (genuine question)

My apologies I thought I read in the thread that it should be a closed group to be safe for some reason. Ignore my brain storming over the wrong seas ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #193210 by
Replied by on topic How to get a group started?

Kamizu wrote:

Akkarin wrote:

Kamizu wrote: In order to make it a "safe" group you'd need something more like the youth forums where no one else could see and that's still no guarantee.

My apologies I thought I read in the thread that it should be a closed group to be safe for some reason. Ignore my brain storming over the wrong seas ;)

Well that's still a question to consider :)

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #193221 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic How to get a group started?
Is there a reason why such a group as the one in the OP would need to be closed/hidden?

Youth forums I get.. but I'm not sure about any other groups..

Perhaps if the comments didn't show up on the wall (is that possible?) that might be better than closed entirely.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Kit

More
8 years 10 months ago #193226 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Re:How to get a group started?

Akkarin wrote:

Kamizu wrote:

Akkarin wrote:

Well that's still a question to consider :)

I can see why some people may be shy. There is a lot of misunderstanding and ridicule about folks who aren't considered "normal" in the eyes of society but honestly I feel TotJO is a safe place. But I'm the kind of person who gave up being quiet about my non normal ness a long time ago for the most part. Maybe someone else can pipe in if they wouldn't feel comfortable with an open group.

In the flip side, a closed group would make it difficult for those who a group like this could help to find it or even know it was there. Which would eliminate the ability of the person staying quiet about what he needed.

Personally I'd be fine with an open group. I have experience in ADHD and anxiety and would love to share what's helped me. A group like this may make me more available to be utilized.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #193228 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic How to get a group started?
There may be people who don't really realise the implications of problems they have... if they saw posts on the wall or anywhere, it might encourage them to seek help. Open is better, I think. As someone who had OCD (never diagnosed because I was afraid of being labelled crazy)... seeing discussions by people who were living with it would have been helpful..

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Kit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #193233 by
Replied by on topic How to get a group started?
Tell me if it is different, but.. If I may be so free, lets go back to the basics:

1. Groups are meant for members
2. Groups are open to join, except if it serves a socially defined or protected group
3. Groups that are not socially defined must blend in with the rest of the temples main ideas

If i understand the following things right:

CryojenX thinks that it is good that groups can be for specific people.
Edan conserns about the protection and the (closed/hidden) arguments of groups.
Akkarin thinks that the past may repeat an results in some kind of disappointment.
Jestor thinks that we are all on the same boat, and separation would lead to misunderstanding.
Steamboat28 thinks the opposite of Jestor
Kamizu thinks that save (hidden) groups are a good way to combine understandings and guidance.
Aqua thinks that there must be a balance between seperation and purpose.
Cabur Senaar thinks that private groups would act more like a discussion group, and want avoiding unauthorized teaching.

If I understand it right, that the question is 'to be able to start a group for targeted members'.

What is possible and what is not possible? If a targeted members group is not ideal, why not change the purpose to a clergy guidance group. To be able to talk with multiple people as well with a officer of the clergy / member affair officers.

Like an interest group for help seeking members? Noting that it is an open environment but with different like minded people.

I do not know if such a group exist already. Just thinking..

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 10 months ago #193234 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic How to get a group started?

steamboat28 wrote:

Jestor wrote: Not only was there "unauthorized" teaching, but creating groups causes separation...

This may or may not be off-topic, but I would respectfully disagree, Jestor. Groups can cause separation, but they can also cause togetherness, and tend to much, much more often.

Off topic? Maybe, but then I think the point of the topic has been answered... (EDIT: maybe not? lol)

It becomes a matter of you not liking how I speak, lol...

If I would have said, "groups seldom cause separation", you could have said,

"But Jestor, they can..."

It depends on how a group is looked at, its purpose, and many other factors...

And, the level of grief one is wanting to give...:lol:...

Jestor wrote:
So, when I thought about your suggestion, my thoughts were:

-are we not all somewhere in the autism spectrum?
-its a public group, anyone can join, view, read or comment.. Its not like a "support group" or "safe zone" because of that....
-would members of this group feel (further) seperation from others?

Kamizu wrote: My apologies I thought I read in the thread that it should be a closed group to be safe for some reason. Ignore my brain storming over the wrong seas

You kinda did...;)

Aqua wrote: Dear Jestor, I think we need both, equal and in harmony.

Aqua, as a guy married to a lady with depresssion for the last 17 years, my concern was that once they get into the group, and discuss things, they might feel even more seperate from the overall group of Jedi...

I dont necessarily have an issue with this, and why I am glad to see the conversation continue..;)

++++++++++++++++++++
As I said, we are all on the spectrum somewhere...

I am not against such a group, if you know me, when I am unsure, I move more slowly, and cautiously...;)

DESPITE how my ramblings might seem... They are actually thought out, I just suck on the delivery, :lol:...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit,

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 10 months ago #193235 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic How to get a group started?

Aqua wrote:

Warning: Spoiler!

What is possible and what is not possible? If a targeted members group is not ideal, why not change the purpose to a clergy guidance group. To be able to talk with multiple people as well with a officer of the clergy / member affair officers.

Like an interest group for help seeking members? Noting that it is an open environment but with different like minded people.

I do not know if such a group exist already. Just thinking..

Well, its hardly so 'black and white', lol... :laugh:

But, yes, this is a summary of what was said, Steamboat and I do not think opposite, only Steamboat was pointing out the opposite could be true, and as you see by my last response, I do agree...

The probelm with writing things down, is that the moment it is written, it can become outdated...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #193241 by Locksley
It's a good idea. Simple.

The idea that it would cause separation doesn't really fly with me - especially if it's being moderated by a knight AND it's an open group. If it were a closed, unmoderated group, maybe, but this way it's just a specific place for people with mental health issues to get together and talk about their experiences. There are tons of places beyond the Temple where things like this could be discussed, so (to me) the fact that it was brought up here - that there's an interest in starting a space for this here is actually proof that people are looking for even more inclusion with the Temple. Anyway, looking at someone with mental health issues differently than someone without doesn't feel great (in my experience) to the person with mental health issues. We might like to talk about it, we might have no problem admitting it - we might even accept it fully as part of our identity - but I don't think anyone wants to be defined specifically by any mental health things they have going on.

I certainly don't think that having a group like this would cause any sort of 'division'. If groups can cause division, and division is that serious a concern, than the Jedi poets group, Off The Grid, Minstrel Jedi, and Military Jedi all need to be shut down ASAP. I doubt anyone would see this as reasonable?

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Locksley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Edan,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi