How to get a group started?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #193147 by
I did not see anything in the FAQ about starting groups (and a search came up with too many results to be useful), and felt it would be extremely helpful to have a group for members on the autism spectrum, as there are some unique concerns and considerations that "neuro-typical" (if you'll pardon the term) individuals may not have difficulties with. Not knowing who exactly to petition for this, I posted here.

It would also be a very helpful thing to have added to the FAQ perhaps?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #193148 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Re:How to get a group started?
Groups can only be started by knights and higher.

I have no other information!

Edit: I have just been corrected.... Groups are started by admin, then presumably, run by knights.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #193150 by
Replied by on topic How to get a group started?
Thank you much for the information. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #193173 by
People began making "unsanctioned teaching groups" so we had to restrict who could make them. Groups can be made for anything so long as there is a genuine need and desire for them. I wouldn't advise making a group if just one person wanted too (or we'd have loads!), but if you could find a couple more people who are also interested then it could be a really great idea :)

To broaden the "range" of people the group applied to would you think of making it about people with all sorts of mental health issues? I'm thinking perhaps of depression or OCD and ADHD etc. Encouraging a safe environment for people to talk about these issues is a good use of the Temple's resources, but having a separate group for each one would be a little unwieldy!

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 10 months ago #193175 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic How to get a group started?
When I saw your post CryojenX, I wanted to think about it before responding...

All groups here are "public groups", meaning anyone can join, with the exception of the knight group, which is sort of a "broadcast messaging" system to the TOTJO knights...

Not only was there "unauthorized" teaching, but creating groups causes separation...

Mostly, the groups are used for folks to find others of a similar nature, "off the grid" folks like self-sufficency; Illinois Jedi live in Illinois, Jedi de Francis (lol, whatever its called) is for french speaking Jedi... Some who speak very little English...

So, when I thought about your suggestion, my thoughts were:

-are we not all somewhere in the autism spectrum?
-its a public group, anyone can join, view, read or comment.. Its not like a "support group" or "safe zone" because of that....
-would members of this group feel (further) seperation from others?

Just some thoughts I have...

Sometimes, when I feel I've considered something I move quick, and make things happen...

Sometimes, when I think I'm missing a puzzle piece, I drag my feet a little more....

I am in "ponder mode", and dragging my feet a bit...:blush:...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #193182 by
I totally understand both your perspectives on the subject and appreciate your openness on the matter. You raise some really good points that I hadn't even considered. Thanks for giving me some food for thought. :)

More
8 years 10 months ago #193192 by steamboat28

Jestor wrote: Not only was there "unauthorized" teaching, but creating groups causes separation...

This may or may not be off-topic, but I would respectfully disagree, Jestor. Groups can cause separation, but they can also cause togetherness, and tend to much, much more often.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

More
8 years 10 months ago #193197 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Re:How to get a group started?
A "troubled learning group" may not be a bad idea. I have ADHD and found many tricks that help me get through learning and life in general that I could share. Although I've seen people post questions of that sort in the forums.

In order to make it a "safe" group you'd need something more like the youth forums where no one else could see and that's still no guarantee. And how would word get around to people that need it if it's hidden?

But then again if we had a group with listed folk and someone was shy but needed help they could PM someone like one of the group administration with questions
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #193200 by

steamboat28 wrote:

Jestor wrote: Not only was there "unauthorized" teaching, but creating groups causes separation...

This may or may not be off-topic, but I would respectfully disagree, Jestor. Groups can cause separation, but they can also cause togetherness, and tend to much, much more often.

It would depend a lot on whether membership of a group was made part of one's identity or whether membership of a group was a way of facilitating some shared goal.

Kamizu wrote: In order to make it a "safe" group you'd need something more like the youth forums where no one else could see and that's still no guarantee.

Is there a prevalent risk of such a thing occurring? (genuine question)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #193205 by

Jestor wrote:
So, when I thought about your suggestion, my thoughts were:

-are we not all somewhere in the autism spectrum?
-its a public group, anyone can join, view, read or comment.. Its not like a "support group" or "safe zone" because of that....
-would members of this group feel (further) seperation from others?

Just some thoughts I have...

Sometimes, when I feel I've considered something I move quick, and make things happen...

Sometimes, when I think I'm missing a puzzle piece, I drag my feet a little more....

I am in "ponder mode", and dragging my feet a bit...:blush:...

Climate change does not respect border; it does not respect who you are - rich and poor, small and big. Therefore, this is what we call 'global challenges,' which require global solidarity. -Ban Ki-Moon-

Every part of our flora and fauna can be split up in families, sometimes a new familie comes, or goes. Seperation brings new development within a family. But putting mutliple families together, and the birth of a ecosystem is born. Harmony of an ecosystem can only exist if both the seperation and the connection develops.

Dear Jestor, I think we need both, equal and in harmony. :blush:

3. Jedi are aware of the future impacts of action and inaction and of the influence of the past, but live in and focus on the Now. We let ourselves flow like water through the events around us. We embrace the ever changing and fluid world, adapting and changing as it does.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi