Telling friends and family

More
9 years 8 months ago #155217 by Alexandre Orion
I had an interesting conversation on this subject just this evening. The thing is, the questions I wound up fielding were more about moral philosophy than about the Jedi religion.

:S

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #155218 by Rosalyn J
Usually I will let people know, particularly because I went to the Gathering in Almont and people kept asking what I was doing. I just tell them that I am a Jedi. I get some patronizing, but I also get some good responses and some genuine desire to learn more.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #155219 by
Replied by on topic Telling friends and family
I started watching the Joseph Campbell stuff around my friends and they enjoyed it. Then when they asked me what I was writing while working on the IP, I pretty much just told them that I was working on a degree scheme. I simply said that it was for a church of Jediism and that it's not actually about Star Wars Jedi. I read the doctrine to them and they vibed with it, said that this is how it should be or this is going to become big. I am known for playing Star Wars games so of course there probably some secret sneering going on but that doesn't matter. When I say I'm writing a 3,000+ word essay on The Power of Now they're kind of looking around wondering what they should be doing, so it's inspiring others.

If someone starts asking me direct questions about my beliefs and religion, I'll go ahead and tell them. Of course there are some people that I would not even bother getting into this with and we all know who they are - the materialists, your party/work friends, and folks who just don't have an interest in spirituality and consciousness. It used to be that I'd try to get them thinking but I've learned you can't teach a pig to sing, you'll only waste your time and annoy the pig. :P

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #155222 by
With what exactly Ricky? Not being able to tell folks?

Just asking, or we can go to PM if you like...

I was curious..:)
[/quote]

That and being a member of the church...I'm not committed enough...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #155558 by
Well I told my girlfriend last night. It went really well. She wasn't actually very surprised. She didn't question me at all or anything. Then today I had the opportunity to discuss it at work (I would normally avoid this topic but it was just me and one other coworker and they asked about my spiritual beliefs). That went great too. It feels really good to have talked about it and not been judged at all.

I appreciate all the help on this forum. It helped a lot.

More
9 years 5 months ago #170181 by JohnOfLight
Hello there.
yes. I have encountered difficulty with telling my friends and family. so far, my mom, sister, dad, and I think my grandma knows. I also have only a few friends that know.

More
9 years 5 months ago #170319 by SilverWolf
I have been in a Relationship for six years with a wonderful Woman named Rachel. When Rachel and I first met, she was already married. However, her husband hated her and treated her worse than dirt. She was the one that first introduced me to Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire divided ( SWG) I reluctantly played it because I wanted something to share with her. I started to level up my toon and got fustrated at level 20 and decided to go fly in space and got to Ace pilot on all 2 of my toons, all 2 of hers, and all 2 of our Son's account before I ever made it to level 90 on the ground. After Star Wars Galaxies closed, I started playing Star Wars: The Old Republic. I tried my best to play toons on both sides ( Republic and Sith) However, I found out the hard way that playing a sith literally makes me physically sick. Rachel would joke that I am too nice to be sith :) When we were struggling to find a church to go to, I looked up religion online and found this site. Rachel encouraged me to join and told me that I practically live my real life like a Jedi anyways, so why not? So Believe it or not, it was my then girlfriend that got me into star wars past the movies that i grew up on. So never be afraid to tell the truth about how you feel and how you believe to your friends and family. They love you. and while they may disagree with your choice, OR support it, either way they love you.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi