Telling friends and family

More
9 years 8 months ago #154948 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Telling friends and family
I find quite a few new members to the Jedi faith more attracted to the aesthetics and the mythos behind the movies, than the actual faith itself. They mistakenly "identify" with what they believe a Jedi should be, instead of investing some serious time to study it's origins. I recommend taking a year to get a feel for it, take the time to dig and study the roots of this faith. Then, if you still feel strongly about this faith, and wish to continue down this path, you'll have a years worth of experience and a study of it's roots to which to use when explaining to others what this faith is really about....

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #154951 by
Replied by on topic Telling friends and family
I agree with Zenchi. Give it some time. I didn't start telling people until around the time I finished the IP and even then I think I probably could have done myself a favor by waiting a wee bit longer.

Remember that people often times feel entitled to more personal information than they actually deserve and perhaps the most prudent thing to do is (politely) remind them that that's none of their business.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #154957 by
Haha! Good topic, indeed. I will share my story of what happened when I told my parents.

So, I got into this gig when I was a young 12 years old. I was actually into the Sith stuff at the time, so I didn't tell my parents. I didn't want them to know I was planning on using them for my own purposes. ;) You know how preteens can be. I was sure that I would be fine being secretive and discreet. About 4 years later, at 16, I became a Jedi. I knew that I would be doing something weirder than being a Sith because Jedi might actually be something I could tell people about.

I did try telling somebody I was a Sith once, actually. It was in school. And, my 8th grade friends were not very believing. So, they tested me to see how many fingers they were holding behind their backs... I was right every time. :P I guessed what color they were thinking too. I think they thought I was a freak, though. lol. Couldn't handle my awesomeness!

When I decided to become a Jedi, I decided I wouldn't tell my parents exactly. I knew that this stuff wasn't accepted, and they might try and "cleanse" me or something. They're both religious. Christian and Jewish. I also decided, though, that I wouldn't actively hide it.

I talked about Jackie and Gabriel and my friends as I went along. Eventually, they just "knew" I was a Jedi rather than me having a dramatic reveal.

It took almost 4-6 years for them to fully understand. Now, they don't exactly approve of it, but they don't yell at me for it either. They do not see the importance of it, I think. They wish I'd "grow out of it" or something. I don't judge them for thinking that way. They are not me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #154970 by
The only people I've told are my wife and a close friend who's also part of an alternative faith. I don't see there being much benefit in telling people as it's likely it will create confusion. Better to serve as an example of what it means to be Jedi and let that speak for itself, imho.

More
9 years 8 months ago #154972 by Nicole Judge
I was afraid to tell it anyone, too, and then I got my courage to tell it to my classmate.
I thought she would call me crazy, but imagine, she congratulated me, because she knows how much I wanted to follow the Jedi way, and that I could achieve this dream. She was really happy about me, and she still asks how my apprenticeship is going, she was keeping her fingers crossed for me when I was awaiting apprenticeship, and so on.
So far I told my other two friends about it, and they weren't this happy, but they didn't bother me with it, either. :)

~ may the Force guide us ~
the root source of suffering is an ignorance of ourselves

Teaching Masters: V-Tog, tzb, Darren
Apprentices: yet to come...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #155121 by
My wife knows and she's cool with it. She is also best placed to see the positive change in me. As for others if it comes up I will tell them. I'm proud to be a member here and I'm lucky to have supportive and open minded family and friends for the most part.

I think the general point is there is no right or wrong answer but don't feel like you have to shout it from the rooftops if you don't want to. This is a personal journey and if you go with your gut feeling it'll usually be right.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #155185 by

Goken wrote: I have just started here and am a little nervous about talking to my friends and family about the decision. I know that ultimately it's my choice and that what they think won't change it, but I really want them to understand. My main concern is with my girlfriend. She'll have to know so I'm not lying about what I'm doing on the computer all the time.

Has anybody gone through this or have advice on dealing with it?

I have this problem and left because of it. I came back not to deal with it but to: talk, discuss, think and explore. I'm gonna reflect and honestly, say what I want to say, say what I think, say what I feel and say what I believe. Then see what's come out of all this. :)

More
9 years 8 months ago #155190 by Wescli Wardest
When asked, I tell people that I spend a good deal of free time on an internet site that promotes self-improvement, tolerance, acceptance and understanding. They usually ask something like, “really? What is that?!?!?”

Depending on who they are and how open they are to new ideas I give one of several replies. But eventually they keep asking to know what it is and where it is and how to find it. Then I tell them the name. Sometimes they’re like, “cool!” and sometimes they’re like… “w-h-a-t??” :blink:

Hahhahhaha It all really depends on the person and how it’s delivered. :P

But I very seldom volunteer information. I figure that if people are genuinely interested, they’ll keep asking and trying to find out. If not, they’ll move on. :D

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , Kit,

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 8 months ago #155191 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Telling friends and family
Lol that's an easy way of doing it...

My sis and brother in law would try to embarrass me by telling people...it didn't work...when asked I simply say I'm a jedi and go about my business...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , Kit,

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 8 months ago #155209 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Telling friends and family

Wescli Wardest wrote: But I very seldom volunteer information. I figure that if people are genuinely interested, they’ll keep asking and trying to find out. If not, they’ll move on. :D

Read that as "plays hard to get"...:lol:....

I have this problem and left because of it. I came back not to deal with it but to: talk, discuss, think and explore. I'm gonna reflect and honestly, say what I want to say, say what I think, say what I feel and say what I believe. Then see what's come out of all this.

With what exactly Ricky? Not being able to tell folks?

Just asking, or we can go to PM if you like...

I was curious..:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi