Telling friends and family

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #154889 by
I have just started here and am a little nervous about talking to my friends and family about the decision. I know that ultimately it's my choice and that what they think won't change it, but I really want them to understand. My main concern is with my girlfriend. She'll have to know so I'm not lying about what I'm doing on the computer all the time.

Has anybody gone through this or have advice on dealing with it?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #154891 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Telling friends and family
With my family I have gone through with the opinion that we will discuss if/when it comes up (so far in the past decade religion has never come up and they're not really interested!) so I can't help you there really.

With your girlfriend though, if you don't feel that you can just 'come out and say it' because you feel she might respond badly, I would send her a link to something you found interesting here and suggest she take a look, and then you bring it up through conversation rather than blurting it out and feeling worried.
With my fiance I just told him, and once he'd had a nose around the forum he got it.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #154892 by
Replied by on topic Telling friends and family
I would say not to worry about it. And if/when you do bring it up, bring it up privately, one on one:

At the bar with the guys, bad time
On the car ride home (when completely sober :) ) with one other person or chatting on the phone (do people still do that? Haha), good time.

Everyone I ever told looked at me funny but once I explained the reason behind the name, what we stand for and what we study, I got looks of approval and acceptance.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by . Reason: added sober comment, haha

More
9 years 7 months ago #154895 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Telling friends and family
Honestly, when I told my mom she was rather disgusted (and she's been doing the New Age thing for a few years now....). She really didn't make it past the word "Jedi" before shutting down. My step-dad I haven't bothered to tell. He really doesn't have anything to do with any sort of faith in any capacity. My dad didn't understand at first either. I told him about a year ago but didn't get the chance to actually sit and have a discussion in person with him until this weekend. He understands a lot more now. I just don't bother talking to my mom about it. My husband was in the mindset of "Whatever you want Dear." He watched me go through my spiritual exploration for a few years before that and has always been supportive, even if he doesn't really understand it. My best friend was the most vocal. She thought it was a LARPing/Role Playing thing. I had her look at the Temple's main page and explained my personal ideals and what drew me there she was accepting.

Oddly enough, religion comes up a lot at work. Partly because there's a handful of paperwork that requires us to fill in our religion. The biggest thing that's helped me is to have a good heap of humor. People tend to ask if there's lightsabers involved, or if I could use the Force (usually coupled with them miming extreme concentration as they attempt their hand at telekinesis) which can actually be an opening to explaining that we DO believe in the Force and some views on what the Force is. Some people are quite accepting after explaining what being a Jedi means to me. Others just ignore most of what I say after they realize I'm serious and it's not as awesome as they thought. (*I* think it's awesome)

I think the ultimate thing to keep in mind is it's YOUR choice and some people will never understand. My mother is very close minded on many things. I doubt she'll ever understand. I could very nearly see her disapproving look over the phone when I told her XD.

I talk to my husband all the time about what I read on the forums, our conversations, my lessons, things I've learned. Perhaps getting your girlfriend involved in what you are doing and learning will help her understand. You could maybe start with something like "You know, I've been thinking/searching...and..." or think about what drew you to the Temple to begin with. Tell her about that! If you think she'll balk at the word "Jedi", start with something like "Hey! I found this really cool place where..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , PatrickB

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #154896 by
Hi, Goken...

I concur with what Edan, Learn_To_Know, and Kamizu said. What I might add is the suggestion that you wait until you're comfortable with Jediism before attempting to convey to others what it is or what it means to you. I know it's exciting (I've been here for over a year and a half and still think it's exciting :) ), but I bet you'll find it easier to explain when you've walked the path for a while - and will, at that point, be able to help others feel comfortable with your decision to be part of Jediism as well.

My friends and family have all taken my involvement with the Temple really well, but they've had plenty of time to adjust to the fact that I'm not particularly traditional in most senses of the word. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #154920 by
It's a question I've seen a lot among pagan circles. I have friends whose parents completely cut ties with them after being told "I'm a witch." and I have friends whose parents went "OK, let me know if there's any events I have to be at for that." Unfortunately I've struggled with telling my parents for many years that I lead a life that isn't strictly Catholic. It's the main reason I left the seminary but couldn't quite tell them that. I've tried to hint at it several times and didn't quite get a good response. I think they picked up on the hint and were trying to nudge me away from what I was hinting about without me coming out and declaring it hoping they could stop it before I really became serious. Ultimately I think "I'm a Jedi, a real live practitioner of the belief system called 'Jediism' which takes its name from the Star Wars mythos because the ideals are so in line with the benevolence and peacemaking efforts of the Jedi in Star Wars." Will come out a lot better than telling them "I'm a wizard, with honed magickal abilities that are at the peak of our God given human potential which allow me to make a real positive difference in the world I live in." Jedi they will think is a harmless and well meaning phase that they'll adjust to overtime. At the very least the ethics of the Jedi seem fairly unquestionable (at least in the ethical views of my family) so even if they see it as finding a weird way to live it they'll see it as still living a good life with good values. Wizard and magick are sort of dirty words in more staunchly religious homes. I'm hoping my dad will say something like "At least you not a democrat, right?" (Also has strong political views...) but ultimately I know that the only way I can approach it is by sitting down with them sometime when I'm visiting home and just tell them all about it.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 7 months ago #154921 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Telling friends and family
My wife does not understand....

And as you become involved, and see how much I'm here, you'll see how it might be an issue.... lol...

I love her, and she me (I hope, lol), so, as it is a hot topic, we sort of leave it unspoken... Occasionally it pops up, and she try's to ignore it, but, if she does say anything, I try to get overly defensive too, lol... Or overly explanational, lol.. I can get wordy, lol...

I think my wife looks at all religion like most look at Jehovah's Witnesses, believe what you want, but don't bring it to my door...;)

Don't push, yet be open...

We are very individual in our beliefs, so you will be looking inside yourself for answers, we just help you ask yourself the questions.....

That's where the answers are....;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #154924 by
I've told my girlfriend, my boss, and a few others, and everyone has been very supportive. I do repost stuff from the TOTJO Facebook page quite a bit, and have never had anyone say anything negative about it at all. Heck, I have Facebook friends that have become fans of the TOTJO Facebook page after I shared something..

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #154926 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Telling friends and family
Could always just adopt a menacing expression and get some tattoos....that works pretty well with most people....or simply live your life by the jedi ideals and they'll come to understand since actions speak louder than words...as to telling the girlfriend...well I'm certainly not remotely qualified for that seeing as to how I rarely am able to keep one let alone find one :lol:

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by RyuJin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

More
9 years 7 months ago #154931 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Telling friends and family
I know its exciting when first venturing into Jediism. It was for me too. Many people tend to want to "establish" it with themselves. I recommend otherwise though. I'd suggest letting the new lifestyle flow into your world on its own accord, at its own pace, and seamlessly, rather than "first I wasn't, but starting today I AM!"... Establishing something can make it psychologically finite in nature (meaning, when you establish a beginning, you have set it up to establish an ending for it somewhere down the line). The less one has to affirm it to themselves, the less one will feel they owe it to themselves to have something to show for, or to prove, or to justify, or to upkeep. You need none of these things here... not actually (at least not to me).

Which takes me to... telling other people...

You can tell people whatever you want. However, don't feel you have to tell anyone about it - not as in "keeping a secret", no. This is instead, following the philosophy of "If you don't make it a thing, it won't be a thing." If you do tell somebody, it's all about circumstances, context, and method of introduction. If you bring it up out of the blue to a family member in a "We really need to talk" kind of fashion, you've just dumped a bunch of awkward pressure onto you and whoever you'll be talking to. This tends to result in a plethora of possible negative outcomes. Should you really make this a "serious thing"? If you present it seriously, the possibilities of negative or misunderstood reactions becomes a bit serious as well. If you toss something out nonchalantly during a talk already happening about religion for example, that can go a bit smoother. Even then, coming out with something like "Well, I'm a Jedi, so what I believe is..." The statement that you are a Jedi, while quite affirmative in our doctrine, can easily lack a properly understood context outside of it. If you tell someone "I am a Jedi" who does not have that understanding, then they will establish a very distorted and ignorant impression from it. Therefore, the approach I recommend is, instead of bothering with saying "I am a Jedi", just talk about what you have been learning or experiencing as one, within the context of the discussion of course. After all, the essence of being a Jedi is not in the title, but in what kind of life is lived behind it. Focus on this, and show people you are a Jedi instead of telling them, and you will have bypassed just about all of the above issues. :)

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , Edan

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi