Going out in public

More
10 years 6 months ago #116997 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Going out in public
That is an awesome robe!!!!

I want one of those! I have no idea where I would wear it, but anyone would look good sporting something like that!

Monastic Order of Knights

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #116999 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Going out in public

Wescli Wardest wrote: That is an awesome robe!!!!

I want one of those! I have no idea where I would wear it, but anyone would look good sporting something like that!

You could wear it to a really nice Thai or Chinese restaurant. My mom has one similar in style to that, but in blue

So long and thanks for all the fish

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
10 years 6 months ago #117048 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Going out in public
:blink: that is one smexy robe....I'd wear that anywhere,anytime....haters be damned :laugh:

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #117060 by
Replied by on topic Going out in public
Question related to this topic:

Where does the notion of "a robe" (ie the dress code) come from?

Is the assumption being made that the SW movie Jedi = TotJO Jedi? If so, then are all TotJO celibate? Or are we just picking and choosing the "cool" aspects?? :whistle:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #117061 by
Yes, from the fiction.

However, the fiction drew the wearing of a simple brown robe from historical monastic orders.

I have actually seen a TOTJO ceremony first hand. The participants were not dressed in any sort of attire that had anything to do with the fiction. I on the other hand, for all my bluster about legitimacy and professionalism, was dressed up in what I feel to be my "ceremonial" outfit. Irony.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #117068 by
Fair enough.

If that is the case...I know plenty of monastics and priests who wear their cassocks out in public (regardless of weather).

They seem to be practicing their religion with ease...why so much different for the "jedi."???

Further...I do medieval re-enactment...and I have worn (tonight in fact, and its 98 out now) full monastic robes over steel armor and chainmail - no issues.

The problem is in the mind...release your attachment to such ideals of what is the "norm."

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #117078 by
For me, as I said, is a question of professionalism.

People, unfortunately make snap judgements. I find the stigma associated with the simple act of calling oneself Jedi to be enough of a battle, I also don't want to further complicate things by alienating myself from those I would serve by being odd.

I am a member of ARMA, a historic European Marital arts group, but we do not dress in period attire when we do what we do, we have a modern martial arts uniform that helps to separate us from people that seek to be re creationists or larpers.

While we should be proud and not be ashamed of our religious expression, dressing up in robes is not "required" and there fore unnecessary.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #117083 by
That is not to say YOU should not wear a robe. Practical things those, especially if you are handy enough to sew in lots of pockets.

• Whyte Horse
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • Do not try to understand me... rather realize there is no me.
More
10 years 6 months ago #117107 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Going out in public
The modern day equivalent of "poor person's clothing" is a t-shirt and jeans. Historically it has been a plain robe. If you want to display humbleness, a simple life, etc then the t-shirt and jeans you already have are probably your "monk's robes". You could make an iron-on transfer of your favorite jedi logo or jedi symbol and add it to your robes for about $1 and some kind of printer to print it.

On the other hand, the robe in that photo I posted is probably a Qing dynasty emperor's robe. It costs $400 from that website. An authentic one would cost into the tens of thousands of dollars. I think you could make one yourself for about $50 in material.

In this day and age, you can get almost any clothing you want and you can probably afford it so... for $400 you can get a lightweight, breatheable, waterproof, windproof, warm thermal insulation, gore-tex, removable hood, triple-stitched, armpit-zipper opening, back ventet, self-wicking, machine-washable jacket. Something like this:

Attachment h6f3123e.jpeg not found

And I've been wearing it for 13 years. The first one lasted 10yrs and then it was replaced with a new one for free on a lifetime warrany :woohoo:

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #117110 by

Andy Spalding wrote: People, unfortunately make snap judgements. I find the stigma associated with the simple act of calling oneself Jedi to be enough of a battle, I also don't want to further complicate things by alienating myself from those I would serve by being odd.

Yes...it is VERY unfortunate I agree. However, there are christian's in Syria this very day who are dying for their faith and system of beliefs. Are Jedi so less in their convictions that they care?

Where there is doubt, faith.

Is this not part of The Creed? Are Jedi not bound to it? Are such things not a symbol of this faith?

While we should be proud and not be ashamed of our religious expression, dressing up in robes is not "required" and there fore unnecessary.

I absolutely agree. "Required" is a strong word for sure, nor would I advocate that it should be such. My point though is that the reason for not wearing such attire seems to come from a realm of fear and ignorance, not from a faith in peace and knowledge.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi