Going out in public

More
10 years 7 months ago #116872 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Going out in public

FraterDavid wrote:

Kamizu wrote: I always wonder at the people who wear headphones and hoods. Missing so much in life :)

I think that such people are operating from a desire to block out the rest of the world, or to escape from it, or both. Or they feel that such an aloof kind of fashion is "cool". I agree, they don't know what they're missing. The same can be said of all of us, to a certain extent, but at least as Jedi we are actively seeking out that which we may be missing.

To me, the hoods on the robes of the Jedi are status symbols of their attunement with the Force. Kind of like saying, "I can wear this hood because I don't need to see you in order to know you're there and whether you present a danger or not." Realistically, most people on Earth are not attuned enough to get away with that, but the hood has become an iconic thing from the movies.

Very true! On both counts. Never thought of the Jedi hood in that manner before! Hrmm...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #116875 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Going out in public
To me the hood has always been a 'dont bother me I'm meditating on the Force' type of flag/symbol, rather then an expression of talent or skill.... but used in the fiction in public to hide. In this regard if we gave out robes to homeless people, would you still wear them? I thought in the old European cultures they represented poverty by being so simple and plain ie; non-attachment.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Adder.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
10 years 7 months ago #116877 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Going out in public
Aww and here I thought that robes were a trendy fashion statement :woohoo:

Most of us only wear robes on rare occasions... of course sometimes I wear it just to wear it....and sometimes I train with it on...of course I'm referring to my battle robe for training as experience has taught me that the over robe is too bulky and billowy for any sort of combat (saber,sword, or hand to hand)...

Traditionally robes were simplistic to symbolize a life of humility (not in a negative sense but in a devoted sense)...in most religions the spiritual leaders wear robes of some sort....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
10 years 7 months ago #116881 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Going out in public

Connor Lidell wrote: I don't know any Jedi that wears a robe on a daily basis.

Obi-Wan was CRAZY on Tatooine.

Actually, it's not unheard of attire for a desert dweller. There are lots of reasons that many layers and head coverings make more sense than they seem to in the desert.

More
10 years 7 months ago #116883 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Going out in public

Jestor wrote: Unless its functional, I NEVER wear a hood...

I find they are detrimental to my peripheral vision, and I like to be able to observe my surroundings...:)

I've used them before to help me learn to rely more on my hearing than peripheral vision, but not being able to side-eye things does bother me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #116893 by
Replied by on topic Going out in public
A hood is just a hat you can't drop. Follow hat etiquette with it and you will be fine.

As far as robes, I have them, but only wear them for cerimonies... No matter how dashing they make me look.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
10 years 7 months ago #116899 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Going out in public

Andy Spalding wrote: A hood is just a hat you can't drop. Follow hat etiquette with it and you will be fine.

As far as robes, I have them, but only wear them for cerimonies... No matter how dashing they make me look.

That includes lowering it when entering stores and banks....or taking late night strolls in florida....(was it too soon for a joke like that? :evil: )

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #116901 by
Replied by on topic Going out in public
ok thanks everyone...:)

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #116902 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Going out in public
My hooded robe is a very functional "coat" ; its employ then is as such. I do not wear it in weather wherein a coat is impractical. In cool weather, it is a quite practical garment. For its symbolism, it has been neither cleaned nor repaired in 20 years, however continues to receive compliments on how smart it looks. Curious ... :unsure:

As far as ceremonial attire, I don't have anything specifically for special occasions. Everyday is a ceremony of sorts ... People in Dijon do not recognise me as Jedi from my clothing - they recognise me as Jedi by observing my moral/ethical conduct and the philosophical discourse. 'Being' is more conducive to the Jedi's identification than 'looking like ...'. And no lightsabre is involved. Discernment is a more able arm, and can even prove just a tad more intimidating.

With regards to whether they were crazy to wear all those clothes on Tatooine (which was really the south of Tunisia), one finds that desert-dwellers do cover themselves. It actually keeps the sun off them and conserves body moisture. The worse thing one could do in a desert is go about uncovered in the 'interest' of staying cool - the dryness of the air will 'drink' the water out of the body in a very short time and one dies of dehydration. Very painful and not pretty ...

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Proteus, Kit

More
10 years 7 months ago #116986 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Going out in public
You could probably pull it off with a robe like this:

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi