Physical TOTJO Temple in Texas Project

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167261 by
Fabulous, Revan. :)

It would seem that the Chicago area also holds the most Jedi. But, I'll keep my opinion that Texas would be fine too due to there being 5 members, only outnumbered by one in Illinois. However, taking Kit's suggestion, Chicago would also be fun! Maybe outside Chicago, of course, with that midwest area feel. I live in Indiana, so that could work for me personally (not that that's too important). IJRS will be building one in Colorado too, which could be a good road trip for those texas people. mmm.

Alright! Well, fun discussion everybody.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #167273 by Kit
And knowing my husband, we'll be moving back to Texas when I retire if not before LOL. And probably the same area as you three too

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167274 by

Kamizu wrote: And knowing my husband, we'll be moving back to Texas when I retire if not before LOL. And probably the same area as you three too

What area? I lived right outside of Ft. Hood when I lived in Texas.

More
9 years 5 months ago #167278 by Kit

Revan Falton wrote:

Kamizu wrote: And knowing my husband, we'll be moving back to Texas when I retire if not before LOL. And probably the same area as you three too

What area? I lived right outside of Ft. Hood when I lived in Texas.

Dallas. Husband grew up in Oak Cliff. He swears he's going to take over his parents' house and move them to a retirement home haha. I personally prefer the smaller towns but I do miss the availability of larger cities. We were stationed out in Abilene for nine years. I just want a horse XD

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #167345 by Adder
I think an ideal location would be nowhere near a military facility, power generation, volcano, sinkholes, fault line or telecommunications facility... or too low on the coastline. While out in the woods would be great, I guess the issues are dangerous wildlife, bushfires, and medical evacuation/response options.

I was thinking the other day folk should get together and renovate property for profit. Give somewhere to train and make money - money needed to survive and undertake other charitable work. Savings can be established at the same time, and those folk get experience in building, so that after half a dozen projects they could acquire land and actually do something really cool with it, instead of just having a camping site or scout hall to visit.... though that would be fine too of course.

This way, each project is training for Temple building and saving to it, and you can inject a little Jedi-ness into the world one property at a time!!! I guess its about priorities and risk v reward. If the team got sick of doing it then they might have enough saved to keep the last project as a temple.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Adder.

More
9 years 5 months ago #167350 by steamboat28

Jedi in this thread wrote: a lot of things about Texas

I still have at least two friends and three family members demanding I show up in that state sometime. Maybe I should.

More
9 years 5 months ago #167359 by Kohadre
If I may offer my thoughts on the matter.

I believe TOTJO is as it should be. A small community of philosophers, spiritualists, and academics. Through our nonconformity to a standard belief system, our community permits and encourages the growth and self expression of the individuals within it. Our individual beliefs contribute to intellectual conflict, which results in growth of all involved in said conflict once those involved take the time to open their minds and consider the opinions and life experience of others, and learn from them.

True, we do have a doctrine, creed, and set of principals which the members of this community mutually follow and believe in, however there is no demanded belief in any particular deity, no way to worship the force (no worship is even required). There is no concept of sin, and there are no taboos as far as what you can do with you life or your body.

TOTJO is a magnificently unique place, in that it not only encourages, but facilitates free thinking, free speech, and free expression. There are few other communities in existence so open to such a diverse range of beliefs, that still function to the degree which the TOTJO community does.

But, I feel as though I must offer this warning to those considering to expand the temple.

I make no claims at superiority or elevated status above the other members of this community. I will only say that I have experienced a great deal in my time, and have learned things that most people will likely never come to be aware of, much less develop an understanding and appreciation for.

TOTJOs ambitions are understandable, but I must warn that if pursued, will end up resulting in it's demise.

If a temple is established, and a congregation gathered to support that temple, in time it will follow the same path as all other faiths. Conflicts over differences in belief and personal opinion will cause rifts within the temple, which will result in certian followers splitting off to create a temple centered around their mutual beliefs, and then within that new temple the same process will occur, and so on ad infinitum.

You only need do a basic look into the history of any organized faith to see I am telling you the truth. Catholism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Paganism, etc... All were started around a set of beliefs which were basic and mutual, and diversity otherwise encouraged. But as time progressed, more and more splitting occured resulting in more and more sub-religions centered around the same set of beliefs, but with a generous helping of dogma and intolerance of nonconforming beliefs thrown in.

Lastly, I will leave you with this.

"That which was made, shall be destroyed, and through fire shall be made again. You will rise out of the ashes, a beacon to those who survive. You will bring the world into a new age of peace and prosperity, working with your bretherin to lay a foundation so that such a tragedy does not befall them again. And as the world is remade, so too will be humanity. But you are just one, fragile and mortal. In time, you shall pass from the world, leaving in your wake a memory, a legacy. You will be remembered first as a hero, then, as a legend, and in time as a God.

It is the cruelest fate, to have a message that meant well, and see it made wicked and unwise. Those principals which were set to encourage life, will be used to justify taking it.

That which once was, shall be again."

So long and thanks for all the fish

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167360 by
Is the goal to immortalize the faith? If Jediism is supposed to die, it's very 'Jedi' to respect that.

All the worst things come from us trying to prolong something forever...

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 5 months ago #167362 by Jestor
Kohadre, it is something I warn about, too quick of expansion, and boy, can I slow a project down, lol...

I think growth should be organic, and slow, as to establish a solid foundation...

Death is the way of all things...

Ida's, people, plants, animals, and as much as we love TOTJO, it too will end...

But, I also am reminded that "forced" change has gotten us some wonderful advancements too....

Delicate balance, it is.....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kohadre

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167365 by
Kohadre, very wise words, and sound advice. My question those is this. If Totjo is as open and accepting as you say it is (and I agree whole heartedly), what would building a physical location would make the congregation splinter off? If the same doctrine etc is observed and put in place in the physical Temple as it is here, where would the need arise to leave, build a new Temple with different views? The reason for the off breaks of those religions were due to them not accepting others and putting such strict rules etc upon its congregation etc. Would like to hear your thoughts on that.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi