The armed forces

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 11 months ago #533 by
The armed forces was created by
i was accepted into the US Naval Academy and will be joing the armed forces. coming from an entirely military family, i understand what this means. For all of our servicemen, i would like your opinions about it. I am afraid, yet i am ready. Any advice you would like to share, or thoughts about your experiences (keeping in mind i come from a strong military background so i don't need a lecture about joining and the commitments that comes with it)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 11 months ago #535 by
Replied by on topic Re:The armed forces
Oh Lord, let me be the first to jump in on this one. First of all, may the Force be with you whilst attending. Second, DON'T GO! Sorry, but having been in as long as I have; I have to say that there is nothing worse you can do to a servicemember than to make them an officer. I have been around too many brand new lieutenants just out of VMI or West Point with all their book knowledge that have just destroyed units. If you come from a big military family, ask the members that were non-commissioned officers versus the commissioned officers, let them tell you how you can take a person that loves the military and believes in our ideals and pin that gold bar on them and just see what happens. There are just so many things that get forgotten because the paperwork has to be done just right for the C.O. If you like paperwork and being on-call 24/7 for an unappreciative Captain or above instead of being in the mud with the troops getting dirty, blowing stuff up, go ahead. But theres a reason they call people like me \"The Backbone of The Army\". We get the job done. But its ultimately your choice, the money is better and you do have that degree to fall back on. Just make sure your contract \"branches\" you. That way you won't have to change career fields every two years or so. Theres nothing worse than to fall in love with a field, say Infantry and then be told two years later that you will now be a tanker or Signal Corp officer. Good luck, meditate on it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 11 months ago #537 by
I am a vet and I come from a sevice family. But, being an officer is the only way to go for a career. I was enlisted but, I do know the many advantages that come from being an officer not just the added money, and exclusive clubs, dining, recognition, resume' value etc., and on and on. Yeah, I hated the 1st lieutenant's that came through my unit---- every single one. I am sure their training makes them that way.... They are trained to believe they must show their authority from the git go and it shows that they really don't know shit about their new job. So, as you are going in, and your gonna be an officer, good luck and remember when you get to your first duty assignment that you should at least pretend to give a shit about your lowly underling enlisted personnel and make sure you give thought before you give an order or especially before you decline a request. Good luck, it will definitely be an experience most folks will never have. Mine sure as hell was, I wouldn't want to do it again but, I sure wouldn't give up the experiences I had either. ;)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 11 months ago #538 by
wow, i knew officers were hated, but haha. My father and grandfater enliste and worked their way up from nothing to the big guns. My whole family is military, it's what we do. We make it into our lives missions. My grandfather enlisted, and now he's a retired General! (go figure...wooohoo for my life...:S ) They put a restriction on me though. I HAVE to attend a 4 year university OR ELSE! and my dad and grandfather are terrifying. So i knew i wanted to join, but then i also had to go to college AT LEAST 4 years. That's why i chose the Academy. I will do my best not to be a jerk when i first get into the service for real. I don't believe in that kind of additude anyways, it is very negative and i KNOW what people call their commanding officers when they aren't listening....lol. I also plan to go into code breaking or translating. I adapt easily to other cultures and learn languages easily. But i feel a sense of duty to my country, and to my family's honor and name by serving.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 11 months ago #539 by
have being in the service i can tell you this much. the only reason that a new officer is disliked, is because they dont listen to the old dogs. If you are going to the navy make sure you listen to what the chief says his rank says he knows for the most part on what he is doing. i am not saying you are like the other officers at all but you have to remember that the enlisted dont see you get chewed out, they only see them getting chewed out by you. just my advice and this is just what i have expierenced. good luck to you and you're career,
may the force be with you on this new journey.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 11 months ago #641 by
Don't do it. The US government is an Evil Empire.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 11 months ago #642 by
Well that's a bit forward, Zute. Opinions are valuable but do you have backup for that? I tend to agree, but im curious as to your reasoning?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 11 months ago #644 by
well the govt still has to have approvel from the senate and the congress for most things. and since we vote who is in the office. we have the choice to who is the govt, so shouldnt we choose better for the person who is supposed to give our voice? just my thoughts on it. the only thing i didnt like about the service was how they ran things and remember if you choose to go that rought make sure you are read for that choice.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 11 months ago #651 by
Congrats Warbeauty may you serve with distinction,honor and intelligence. (and if the situation allows, humanity)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 11 months ago #683 by
the US government is an evil empire?
thank you Zute for making my day. You sound like all of my friends. haha

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi