He have younglings in here right?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4837 by
So i was wondering what kind of teaching should be given to these younglings (if there are any that young), especially if they are young teens or even just kids. I was thinking on this just a second ago, we can't expect a 10 year old to understand The Book, he may understand some of the poetry of The Tao Te Ching but how much of it? This is also for parents who wish to raise their children in the ways of the Force. How would one go about it? Would there be different classes for different ages, or just different skill levels?
I am going to have children someday and i was just kinda wanting a head start on this. How would go about teaching 'real' (i say real because i know most younglings that really participate are comin' round the bend to adulthood) youngling, real children, and would you do it from birth? Would you have them watch the movie early on to get them interested or would you wait and let them learn about the path first (that one kinda is redundent, i think they should either watch the movie later or not at all, we don't want kids going to school think they can actually levitate or use telekenesis, someone could get in trouble). But i think i have asked my question.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4838 by
One of my apprentices is only 13. He is very insightful for a 13 year old, but still, 13. I started him off with a very simple meditation practice to actually give him something he could physically do and not just a bunch of reading. I then turned him loose in the Temple Doctrine. Have had him reading it through at least once a week before I started having him explain to me in his own words and understanding what the 16 basic teaching mean as if I had never heard them. I have also encouraged him to join the Spirit Wind class. There are numerous other things I have used for him, but these are just examples. Just keeping thing simple and base for younger apprentices is the best way to go about it. Teach them the basics instead of choking them with the heavy stuff. In time they will be ready for the heavy stuff, but not yet.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4839 by
What a wonderful question! along with it though I have to say that we are very much about people finding their own paths. So then the question becomes...do we just introduce our children to all religions and let them decide (as we have been able to do) or do we merely introduce them to Jediism and The Force and Limit their scope of vision?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4840 by
Well, myself personally, am not going to tell my children what religion they can, or cannot choose. It's not our place to preach to people of our own religion unless that person shows an interest in the religion, as they obviously would be doing here if they were here, otherwise, we're just forcing our belief's upon them, and I for one, take great offense to that, and tend to get a bit riled up and have colorful phrases to throw in their general direction.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4843 by
Well, it is really hard to raise a child and keep your personal beliefs out of it. I for one was raised christian with the only other belief i knew of was catholic, for years i didn't know any other religions. I was very sheltered. But once i discovered there was more to believe in i emersed myself in myth and story. But i think because i didn't have a strong christian background (we were never really church going and no strong beliefs) that i was more open to everything else. It's kinda keeping a kid in a house with little of the outside world but not saying why, then letting them into the yard and telling them they can't explore but again without knowing why, then letting them out into the world and telling them they can't make their own decisions on said topic then you finally know why and it seems like a great cage. That is the impression i got growing up, just me and maybe my sister. But i would like to think that when i do have children they will be taught a few things about my personal beliefs, i will make sure they know all i can teach them, then i will emerse them in other beliefs. They will have a choice, i know i may be influencing them a bit but how can one help not to be biased about something they believe in whole heartedly?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4847 by
hello I tech may kids class in may aikido dojo i amd a recnised and regerstered kids techer. kids are extrudnarey at learning. ofcorse you hafe to tech theam difrentley than you do the adults you cant expect out of theam wot you can out of the adults. althow the kids bay far can pick up on things 100 x faster on serton things than the adults can theay are not jaded and stuck of serton aideys as adults are. not that adults cant learn weall it just tacke theam longear to be capebaill of dowing the same things the kids seam to dow almost naturaley.
and than the poseat is alsow true thear is serton things that kids just cant and are not abeaill to understand untill theay are oldear and gane more life experinces.
just may little 2 $ worth and spocken frome 9 years of teching may kids class. i have so moutch morei coued share about teching serton ideays to the kids but it woued tack a book lol mabey some day i will pout it in one how nows.

i think it is wonderful you wont to include kids theay sertntley add a specheaill atmesfear to things that you canot get with just an adult invirment.
may kids class has a spechaill spot in may hart i started thear and first learnt to tech thear than lernt how to run a dojo thrue runing may kids program. i have sead maney times that i will always tech a kids class evean if the unlikley hapens and i give up aikido i will nevear give up may kids class.

Mouse

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4848 by
indeed the Catholic Church insists that parents brainwash thier chrildren and only the doctrines of Cahtolicisim are told to them from baptism, also its taught that any other belief is false, just to go into another faith's Church is a sin, however that can be absolved by merely confessing it to a Priest.

i have 2 kids, a daughter 13, and a son 15 almost 16 now, and i have not limited thier exposure to any religion. they have went to different churchs with several neighbors or thier friends and thier parents when invited and all i do is when they have questions i try to answer them with as little bias as possible. the can see the belief systems with no prior bias.

sure i talk about the Jedi beliefs and doctrines when they are around but i have never forced them to believe anything or not to believe anything. prior to Jediism, i refered to my self as a \"realist\" as no other belief system, except for a few Eastern ones, had any truth for me. i wanted to let my kids make thier own choice, without any brainwashing whatsoever.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4851 by
I have never pushed anything on my daughter either and neither has my wife. She's almost 6 and about to start kindergarden. My ex-wife, who my daughter lives with about 90% of the time is not so open minded. She actually had my daughter baptized without my consent, which she was suppose to have before hand as required by our decree, and then told me she e-mailed me and I never responded so she took it as my ok. Something of this nature I would not have ignored, but it's over and done now. I wasn't happy either way when I found out about it some 6 months afterward.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4855 by
First off: I am German. That means, I had religion as a class in school! Oops, that's an American No-NO. However, we had a great teacher (four years runniing, while a teenager) and we went through almost all religions, just to see the difference. And then, of course, with history class, we started to wonder (much of history has something to do with religion, e.g. Henry #8, the one who killed his wifes and founded the Anglican church of England, because the Pope did not want to give him a divorce...).

I think, that with normal exposure (again, from my German standpoint/experience) kids will learn that there are different religions (e.g. what if they watch a documentary about India and Hinduism is mentioned? Great teaching moment).

Alas, right know I can talk easily, because my three year old is having trouble talking (with three languages going who would have thought?). So, right now, I don't have to explain anything like this (I am happy when he says a 3 word sentence...).

But no, I don't have trouble introducing him to my beliefs. How many of us grew up one thing and have since then widened their horizon? I don't intend to shelter them, so sooner or later they can make their choice.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 9 months ago #4858 by Jon
I was one of those who you might describe as having been forced to be Roman Catholic, through child baptism. But I have still managed to find my own spiritual path. Never-the-less I have not regreted any of it. Quite the contrary, my Roman Catholic education has been a great gift. If you don`t give a child an initial spiritual direction, how can that child choose? Roman Catholicasism gave me a basis, which helped me to understand the rest. I could understand Buddhism, for example, in the light of Christianity. It is also true that the Roman Catholic Church takes a very one sided attitude, but then it is upto the parent to show what else there is in the world. We do live in a time of informatics and globalisation, and not in the medieval times. All that I am is due not only to what the Roman Catholic Church gave me, but also what my parents contributed and was able to learn. This in turn I wish to give to my daughter.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi