Is war ever justified?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 6 days ago #2043 by
Replied by on topic Re:Is war ever justified?
In english, a coordinating conjunction ( in this case the word \"but\") is used to join two independent clauses, creating a compound sentence. Thus the former does not denote the latter.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 6 days ago #2055 by
OK, heres the skinny. What we do around the world, in theory, is good. The actual results of our intentions are slightly different. We are not the world's police. We have however been drafted into that role by the other world governments that do not have either the support of their societies, or the equipment/manpower to accomplish even their own internal problems. The plan in the Middle East was to establish a foothold for future desert engagements as our previous launching pad was either Germany or our one airbase in Turkey. Now, seeing as how we are fighting a mindset (Islam and terrorism) and not a tactic, the results might seem impossible. Fear not, even though some might say we have problems winning the war on hearts and minds, we do continue to make progress every day. Are we losing men? Hey, news flash! Soldiers die. That is something we know going into it, hence the whole \"...I am prepared to give my life in their defense...\". The only reason it seems like we do lose so many soldiers is the biased media. Does anyone know about the biggest soldier loss not associated with war? There was a training accident for the D-day landing and thousands died that day. Thousands. One day. And these men were not even in a combat zone. And we freak out about a dozen or so in a week? Will the war be won? Hard to say. We may neutralize the theater, but terrorism will always be around. If we vanquish it over there, there will still be terrorism in Ireland and places like that. Stay the course, support our troops and our President and we'll all come out of this OK.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 5 days ago #2081 by
I'd just like to post my opinion, as the question was asked. First i would like to vioce my support for the US, UK, Australian and all other troops in conflict zones right now. You are doing a superb job in horrendous conditions, and i bow to your commendable determination to keep \"doing the job\" in the face of insurgency and interference from those who have not the least understanding of what it is like to wear BDU's.

I have not served in the military, but am a student of many strands of history and human conflict is usually the instigator of record-writing, and therefore features heavily in any written history throughout the ages. My opinion is not based on first-hand experience, but from the records kept, and we all know that the \"victor\" is usually the one who gets to write the history as they see fit. And Hindsight is always 20/20.

I guess my view is somewhat selfish, as i do not believe in \"Liberation\" armies, too often they are used as the pawn of a totalitarian government. Examples such as the Peoples Liberation Army of China, the Red Army of Soviet Russia, The NVA, the Rhodesian Army, the list goes on. All were portrayed by their country's leaders as liberating armies of freedom, but were wielded for political gain, often trampling on human rights and the citizenry in the process.

I therefore believe that unless a populace is being hideously repressed and internal calls for help have been received, then a foreign military force will always be fighting on the back foot, and viewed as \"invaders\". Even if the motives are for the good, internal political machinations can sway the opinions of the local people against what should have been a welcome relief from oppression.

Soldiers are required to follow orders, and it should be the highest consideration of the ruling faction that their training, loyalty, devotion to duty and professionalism should be respected. Due thought and planning must take place before the lives of valuable people are committed to combat.

In the case of one's home country being invaded by a hostile enemy, i feel somewhat differently. I have not yet met a man in my country (Australia) who would not take up arms immediately to defend our homeland. Most conversations i have had go along the lines of \"I'm a peaceful person, and do not wish to join the army because i don't like the thought of killing people\". But mention foreign invasion and we all seem to have this idea in the back of our minds that this is the circumstance where it is time to stand up and fight.

So i guess i don't think war is a good option, and should never be applied unless all other alternatives have been fully considered. In the event of invasion, self defence conflict is justifiable. This theme is one i apply to many situations in my life, and i feel it is a balanced and justifiable view. It is however, only my opinion, and others may disagree. I value other people's thoughts and opinions as a part of the rich tapestry of life, and am happy to hear opposing views.

MTFBWY
thud

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 4 days ago #2113 by
Br. Serric, just had to comment on your line about \"news flash, soldiers die\". This comes painfully to many, who do not understand the warrior ethos. People who have not sworn to give their life in the defense of Country and freedom. I had this conversation with my wife a couple nights ago. She said that what we are doing is pointless and we can never win. Can we win? I don't know, I don't have the foresight to tell for sure, I don't personally think that all forms of terrorism will ever be completely destroyed. What we are doing though, I don't believe is pointless, if we leave now, these terrorists will come in and take over the government, then we have more problems to deal with. As far as soldiers dying though, we haven't lost that many. I say this with a heavy heart, because all life is valuable, but concidering we have been fighting for what now 4 years or so. We are at a total of less than 4000, that is un-heard of in any previous war. In both world wars, we were losing hundreds a day some days. Same with Vietnam and Korea. My wife argues that since technology has advanced and we have better weapons we should not lose as many as we have. Well, its not all about armored tanks and vehicles, sometimes someone has to be a ground pounder and root out the dug in rats, you can't do that in a tank. So until they come out with an undestroyable body suit that is light enough for a normal soldier to wear while also carrying his normal needed supplies, there will be casualties. We are doing quite well by statistics, WW II for example, we entered the war in 1941 due to Japans attack on Pearl Harbor, by 1945 at wars end we lost 407,300 military personel (according to wiki). Anyone who looks at those numbers can tell, technological advances have greatly increased our soldiers battlefield lifespan. Before I sign off of this post, do not think I'm saying that those who have died in this war are unimportant, I'm just saying that statistically we are doing outstanding as far as numbers of casualties.

DK

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 4 days ago #2125 by
Friends, and fellow Jedi, I am a soldier, first and foremost, and I believe that sometimes war is necessary, but never justified. On that note, this current war in Iraq, though a harsh war, is necessary one. I only say this because, if our sons, daughters, brother, sisters, father or mothers were not over there, fighting them on their home turf, we would have war in the streets of America. I really and truly don't care what you think about war, or how war is conducted, or for what reason it is being conducted, the only thing I ask of anyone, is that you support our My brothers and sisters fighting, and willing to give all. You don't have to like what is happeneing, but remember, they are doing what they are told and trained to do, nothing more.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 4 days ago #2129 by
I hope I didn't infer that even though we know our jobs that our (and in turn our fallen brother's) lives are unimportant. Every life is precious. And on another but still related note, we get more oil from South America than we even do from the Middle East.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 4 days ago #2137 by
remember like everything else here this is a chance for us to openly put out our views. you feel how you feel. everyone is accepted here, now on the justification of war, through history we have seen reason why it is, and when its not. remember that history is always showing us the right way and wrong way, on how to approach things. MTFBWYA

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 4 days ago #2142 by
Serric wrote:

I hope I didn't infer that even though we know our jobs that our (and in turn our fallen brother's) lives are unimportant. Every life is precious. And on another but still related note, we get more oil from South America than we even do from the Middle East.

Not sure how much longer we will be getting oil from South America, but you are right. But that is not the point of why we're in Iraq right now I believe. I personally feel that we are there so that they do not come here again and bring the war to our doorstep again.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 4 days ago #2146 by
Totally agreed brother. However, there are those in our country and even in our other branches of government that think we are only over there for the oil. I personally think the whole area should be a glass parking lot, but thats just me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 years 3 days ago #2163 by
I feel the same way Serric, about the glass parking lot thing.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi