Jedi and Religion

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2561 by
Jedi and Religion was created by
Here is my thought I must ask for others to speak on these things:

The fundamental tenets of any religion is to follow its ways to the exclusion of any other. This does not mean others are wrong, it is just the paths we take. I do not like pickles on a sandwich, but that does not mean those that do, are wrong in my eyes. Just a preference.

If we are to set apart a the jedi religion for this world, and not fall into the new age nonsense of others who feel all ways are fine to blend and see what you come up with, we get a diluted mess. Granted the Jedi in Lucas' mind was a blend of other things, that is fine and well. For in his blend, he came up with something of its own.

Even the word Jedi he did not come up with on his own. The term \"Jedi\" was derived from Jidaigeki (Japanese period dramas) as George Lucas was heavily influenced by Akira Kurosawa. Isaac Asimov's Foundation series features several varieties of empaths and telepaths who can detect and influence human emotion.

However, to take this new form, Jedi, and then say one can be of Jedi X or Jedi Y flavor seems to allow just that sort of disharmony to come into play.

We should have a solid foundation of what it means to be a Jedi in pratical and the real world and show this face to the world and be who we say we are. Standing for something and not waivering. Otherwise we face dissolution and become just another tepid movement at the end of the day.

This is especially close in my estimation with Christians. And to those who claim this path, I have no ill will for you, but by the tenets of your own faith you must believe \"Jesus is the only way, the truth and the light\" no mention of a force or other such guiding principle. How is a Buddhist Jedi to make of that when they themself do not believe in a 'God or Goddess' and see the practice of dharma the way of enlightenment.

I do not wish to start a debate, cause problems or what have you, but this path is very close to me and I feel these things need to be addressed as I find this a very noble and well ideal, that is to say totjo.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2562 by
Replied by on topic Re:Jedi and Religion
Whether by design or mere coincidence I can answer this for you rather simply. I am a Lutheran, I am a Christian Jedi. but for the many of us who claim this moniker Jediism is nothing more than another denomination of such. I use the fundemental principles of Jediism as a means of attaining a deeper connection with my savior. No where in the scripture does the lord say that the Holy Spirit (which for me and many others is the Force) may not have a different name. Nor does it say that one may not follow a series of principles in which to live ones life in his honor.

What I think you are not seeing is that Jediism (to me and others) can be and in most cases is Jediism. there is not a teaching of our doctrine that is not also echoed in scripture. sure the Bible is far longer and contains much more information, but the doctrine of this temple has truly limitless application.

I am a Jedi. I am a Christian. These are very much synonimous. They are equal. Just as it is to say I am a Jedi and I am a buddhist or any other religion. If this is not clear i implore you to ask questions. But it is the great and awesome diversity of this congregation that facilitates our learning. Were we all to be strictly \"Pure\" Jedi we would then be stagnant. There would be no views in which to grow.

Buddha himself said \" WHATEVER, after due examination and analysis, you find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings; believe and cling to that doctrine, and take it as your guide. Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. \"

Yes, as a Christian I believe that the only way to heaven is through Jesus Christ. But here, I do not impress that upon anyone unless they ask about it. I am here, as we all are, to learn. To grow in our faiths, whatever they may be.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 10 months ago #2590 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Jedi and Religion
As you have said there seem to be as many answers as convictions. There was a time when I tried to combine faith systems, but one day the buddhist monks told me that God does not exist and Christ was only a good man. To attain enlightenment Sangha, Dharma and Buddha were necessary. The Tibetan Buddhists don`t even recognise Zen Buddhism.... as being ways to illumination. As soon as one idea in Dharma is changed thats it. No-one, they said, can exist outside of Samsara, everything is inter-dependent. The christian churches I was involved with occasionaly quote Buddha, but he has absolutly nothing to do with salvation. Certainly the Roman Catholic Church has a similar view: Christ, the Church and the Holy Scriptures. I think there is a difference if you are dealing with faith systems on a personal level and if you are working with institutions. I certainly got fed up with explaining, looking for ways out.... . For me there is truth in everything which exists, all roads lead to Rome, every disaster can be a blessing. I think a lot depends on the individual, what does he/she really want. Is it not wonderfull to have so many different ways? Everyone in their individuality can discover their own way to fulfillment.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2599 by
ok there is a solid foundation, you have to really look into it. just because you can't see it does not mean its not there. the real question is how long have you been a jedi, have you ever had a master? the reason for this, is because this is an area that you're master should have covered. people do take the force how they do. its something people connect with. what is the force for you? to some its the holy ghost, to others its an energy with no other name but the force. when people learn of something they connect it with a similar knowledge. hence why it is easier for some to connect the force with Christianity's the Holy Ghost. this is my thought but trust me the answers you are seeking are in you and also this doctrine. read it and really break it down and you will have more answers. also remember there is no wrong with other religions or combining them with ours, for we as jedi must accept all. MTFBWY

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2600 by
I'd like to know how you would do it?

The problems you predict have not happened here.

Br. John

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 10 months ago #2602 by Jon
I can relate to that. The openness which the order demonstrates has spoken to me very personally.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 10 months ago #2605 by Jon
The path which I have chosen is that of the Jedi, and the \"baggage\" which I have collected in my life I wish to use on that journey. I see myself as a Jedi with a Christian background, and not a Roman Catholic with a Jedi background.

More
16 years 10 months ago #2626 by Garm
Replied by Garm on topic Re:Jedi and Religion
I have to agree with Ceris on this one, no ill will on anyone, I just see that Jediism needs to eventually be a stand alone faith. This is the reason I think we are all here in the first place, to be part of the birth of a fresh outlook. A new hope? Our discussions are very interesting and every one has valid points. Jediism is evolving, but to what end? Does our faith of Jediism offer something unique? I believe that we are on the right track...just the fact that we can all come together from different backgrounds and get along and even have a little fun along the way speaks volumes. Finding the middle ground may be the hardest trial before us.

Just my thoughts,
Lenny

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2628 by
But then what would be the focus of our faith? Ourselves and our mastery of the Force?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2634 by
Serric: our acceptance of the force as a living entity, and our working with it.. power with, not power over or from. growing in the ways of the jedi as we are coming for found this new way.

there was a quote by my one of my sensei's which went: \"climb your own mountain, do not seek after other ones. and imitation is never flattery to the true student. he will get to the heart of the path itself and follow it explicitly and ever perfect his art until he passes from this world.\"

if we continue to chase our tails with a melting pot of ideas and religions, we become jacks and jills of all trades yet never truly a master of any

thank you Lenny for seeing what I am grasping at.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi