Humor or Racist?

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #356794 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Humor or Racist?
I enjoyed it...

I would encourage the use of other material in conjunction. Not because I feel like it misrepresents anything, but...the more you know :star:

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #356860 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Humor or Racist?

rugadd wrote: Would you recommend "I am not Your Negro." ZealotX? I recently watched it on Netflix and was wondering if it misrepresents anything.

Yes.

People are naturally united by opposition. There was not anti black unity among whites (that I know of) in the early days during slavery. This allowed whites to fight each other over "states rights" due to the right, the south felt it had, to own slaves. This allowed slavery to go on longer in North America than it did in other countries. Religion in this time was very terrible for black people. On the one hand, the figure of Jesus... a savior... represented the poor and downtrodden. On the other hand, Jesus was used by the slave master, to justify slavery and how "masters" should be treated while the OT was used to defend the practice of slavery and the "curse of Ham", the selection. But the OT also told black people the story of Moses, murdering a task master and freeing God's people from slavery and so... it was logical to think... that if they too became God's people, they too would be saved and if not in the same fashion as Moses then perhaps in the afterlife promised by Jesus.

The bible itself became a perfect tool in the hands of the slave master. It divided the minds of slaves against themselves. It taught them to be like sheep. It taught them to love unconditionally and ignore the sins of the master; to forgive them where no forgiveness was even requested. Slaves learned to be humble like Jesus and therefore led to the slaughter, like Jesus, hoping to be close to God in the afterlife, like Jesus.

These beliefs became the hope of the people that they clung to in order to help them to survive while being beaten in the fields or beaten by the police. And make no mistake about it, when a person is legally allowed to beat you, it isn't just that person beating you. That person may be holding the whip, but it is SOCIETY that's beating you. If society, by law, commandment, mandate, constitution, or judgment... grants permission... then it is society that is against you and that is beating you; not just the person allowed to hold the whip.

Any sane person thinks this way if they are in the position of the slave. I would say the film I am not Your Negro is an honest look into the mind of a black man who is sane. While the expectations of black people to be more like MLK are actually in...sane. Because they are expecting a human being to act as this high standard of morality that white Christians in the south weren't employing in their treatment of the same group of people. Whites were human and only expected to be such. Black people were treated as animals but expected to be docile and accept their place. In some cases they acted surprised when black people wanted to fight back, as if the desire to fight oppression wasn't normal or human. When Luke blows up the death star no one blinks. They cheer because they judged the whole of the empire to be evil when in reality, the empire wasn't evil, the leader was, and he survived. Even Vader, who had fallen to the dark side, also survived.

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by ZealotX.

More
3 years 4 months ago #356866 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Humor or Racist?
Well, blowing up the Death Star was more like self defense in the first (IV) movie to be honest. And the third one was during construction (or at least they thought it was), and so in theory wouldn't have had as many folk onboard (surely construction would have been automated with droids mostly due to economic and productivity drivers) - given the station was designed purely as a planet destroyer it's a rather ominous mechanism to build and moreso given their demonstrated willingness to use it as they did on Alderaan.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
3 years 2 months ago #358091 by ZealotX

Adder wrote: Well, blowing up the Death Star was more like self defense in the first (IV) movie to be honest. And the third one was during construction (or at least they thought it was), and so in theory wouldn't have had as many folk onboard (surely construction would have been automated with droids mostly due to economic and productivity drivers) - given the station was designed purely as a planet destroyer it's a rather ominous mechanism to build and moreso given their demonstrated willingness to use it as they did on Alderaan.

That's totally true.

But you could also say that once Alderaan was destroyed there was no self-defense option for them. The fact that it existed alone was enough of a threat to any planet or system that wasn't willing to bow the head in obedience to the empire. So sometimes you can't wait until the gun is cocked and aiming at you. You have to see the threat as it develops and take appropriate action to minimize the threat. For the Republic the time to do that was before super weapons like the Death Star could even be started because it had to have first started as an idea.

That idea was only possible within a certain environment (mostly political). So before the chess pieces arranged themselves to this extent, that was the time to KEEP evil in check by making sure it could not achieve so much power. If you wait too long then you are also increasing the difficulty level of the moves that will have to be made on the right side to then correct or check the wrong.

More
3 years 2 months ago #358111 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Humor or Racist?

ZealotX wrote: That's totally true.

But you could also say that once Alderaan was destroyed there was no self-defense option for them. The fact that it existed alone was enough of a threat to any planet or system that wasn't willing to bow the head in obedience to the empire. So sometimes you can't wait until the gun is cocked and aiming at you. You have to see the threat as it develops and take appropriate action to minimize the threat. For the Republic the time to do that was before super weapons like the Death Star could even be started because it had to have first started as an idea.

That idea was only possible within a certain environment (mostly political). So before the chess pieces arranged themselves to this extent, that was the time to KEEP evil in check by making sure it could not achieve so much power. If you wait too long then you are also increasing the difficulty level of the moves that will have to be made on the right side to then correct or check the wrong.

It would speak to the urgency and the manner of which the problem could best be dealt with. So if we're considering the lives of the poor little 6 month in recruit on board the Deathstar who doesn't know their tit for their tat and has drunken the Empire is good kool aid, then the whole 'don't blow it up versus blow it up' would be a simplistic way to view the options. As in my opinion what made it self defence in the EpIV is that it was about to fire its boomstick imminently, and there was clearly no other way to stop it's next killing venture. So yea they cheered about managing to survive that situation, but that doesn't mean no-one blinked at the suffering it caused..... they just had no other choice in real terms.

But yea in the fiction they clearly showed an awareness it was better to destroy it before it came online as was demonstrated EpVI. I doubt they chose to wait for it to become operational to attack it as if they had some agenda to kill as many Imperial scum as possible :D Certainly I'd like to think the Jedi would seek the minimal footprint, and by extension the Rebel Alliance would be similar if not just to avoid being a copy of the Empire. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
3 years 1 month ago #359067 by ZealotX

Adder wrote:

ZealotX wrote: That's totally true.

It would speak to the urgency and the manner of which the problem could best be dealt with. So if we're considering the lives of the poor little 6 month in recruit on board the Deathstar who doesn't know their tit for their tat and has drunken the Empire is good kool aid, then the whole 'don't blow it up versus blow it up' would be a simplistic way to view the options. As in my opinion what made it self defence in the EpIV is that it was about to fire its boomstick imminently, and there was clearly no other way to stop it's next killing venture. So yea they cheered about managing to survive that situation, but that doesn't mean no-one blinked at the suffering it caused..... they just had no other choice in real terms.

But yea in the fiction they clearly showed an awareness it was better to destroy it before it came online as was demonstrated EpVI. I doubt they chose to wait for it to become operational to attack it as if they had some agenda to kill as many Imperial scum as possible :D Certainly I'd like to think the Jedi would seek the minimal footprint, and by extension the Rebel Alliance would be similar if not just to avoid being a copy of the Empire. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Not everyone foresaw the danger but there were already people who knew that the Empire didn't make a moon sized summer camp.

Rogue Squadron?

Anyway, I supposed that military personnel working at a nuclear silo probably have similar thoughts or questions. The mere fact they exist are threats to the world. They provoke other nations to equally arm themselves in order to keep the other nations in check. But ultimately it comes down to who is crazy enough to push the button first. And if that person doesn't exist... that's not evidence that they never will.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi