Your Definition...

More
5 years 6 months ago #327710 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Your Definition...
"It's a song"

When you hear a song, you know what it is. It's a collection of melodies and rythms, often with vocals. But what does the song mean?

You might have a meaning that the writer had in mind when writing it, but also have interpretations by each of the listeners. The original meaning might even change for the writer over time. Usually, the writer is happy for the listeners to have their own interpretations, since they all seem to add to the depth and personal importance to what was created.

However, in the end, they all know its a song, music, and that it is something that makes them feel a certain way and has some kind of impact on them.

Is the true meaning of the song simply what it was originally written for, or is it a combination of that as well as the personal interpretations of the listeners and the effect that'd it has on them?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #327715 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Your Definition...

Proteus wrote: "It's a song"

When you hear a song, you know what it is. It's a collection of melodies and rythms, often with vocals. But what does the song mean?

You might have a meaning that the writer had in mind when writing it, but also have interpretations by each of the listeners. The original meaning might even change for the writer over time. Usually, the writer is happy for the listeners to have their own interpretations, since they all seem to add to the depth and personal importance to what was created.

However, in the end, they all know its a song, music, and that it is something that makes them feel a certain way and has some kind of impact on them.

Is the true meaning of the song simply what it was originally written for, or is it a combination of that as well as the personal interpretations of the listeners and the effect that'd it has on them?

J.C. ( Jospeh Cambell ) often states -paraphrasing - “ each of us is a song “ thanks brother ! That’s a great view !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
5 years 6 months ago #328190 by jpadkins
Replied by jpadkins on topic Your Definition...
HI Carlos,
I am just seeing that you replied. I guess I didn't turn on tracking. How I currently practice my Jediism is through meditation, study, exercise, and being conscious of the connection we all share.

JP Adkins
Apprentice
Licensed Minister of Jediism
Journals- IP / Apprentice / Seminary / AP /
Degrees Tracker
House of Br John
TM- Raxicorico
” May you feel the presence of the Force because the Force is always with you.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
5 years 6 months ago #328193 by Carlos.Martinez3

jpadkins wrote: HI Carlos,
I am just seeing that you replied. I guess I didn't turn on tracking. How I currently practice my Jediism is through meditation, study, exercise, and being conscious of the connection we all share.

If I don’t mind - specifically how ?
In the mornings I meditate on things that need some for the day - a few life lessons - a meditation journal read or two by a few difremt authors - I currently am studying meditation on a lever of explanation as to actually how it’s done and why and what can be done- my conection is often based on real life applications - Walmart target thrift shops malls restaurants things like that - how do you actually do it ? The actual application. Use love to include as many actual practices and definitions as possible .

Build, not tear down.

More
5 years 6 months ago #328206 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Your Definition...
“To be a Jedi, Luke, you must confront and then go beyond the dark side of the Force” - Obiwan Kenobi

“You must unlearn what you have learned” - Yoda

“Vader. You must face Vader. Only then, a Jedi you will be” - Yoda

As Proteus said, we all “add” our own interpretation into it. My interpretation of the original trilogy is a fight between collectivism - The Empire, a system that beats up and destroys the individual in the name of “peace and order” - and the Individual, represented by Luke Skywalker.

In Dagobah, Luke fights Vader in his vision in the cave, and though he defeats him, the severed head reveals his own face, implying the risk of becoming Vader (the corruption of the individual), another cog in the Imperial machine, in his attempt to control the outcome.

Thus, when later Luke is faced with killing Vader in the Emperor’s chamber, while the Emperor taunts him about taking Vader’s place, he realizes that he’s let his fear of controlling the outcome of the Rebellion bring him towards the fringe of the dark side, of losing himself and become a new Vader, a new cog in the Imperial wheel.

Thus, his victory when declaring “I am a Jedi, like my father before me” is a victory of Individual vs. Collective, of Will vs. Duty.

He is a Jedi, because he is free. Free of the expectations of others, free from the fear of death, free from the Machine. And in this freedom, his True Will shines forward, becoming a true Force, a King, a Master, instead of simply a pawn being played by those who would control him.

In conclusion, my Jediism involves the tearing down of conditioning, the invisible scripts that run me in the dark - unlearning what I have learned - and learning to direct my energies (control) in order to make my True Will manifest.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
5 years 6 months ago #328209 by Carlos.Martinez3
In conclusion, my Jediism involves the tearing down of conditioning, the invisible scripts that run me in the dark - unlearning what I have learned - and learning to direct my energies (control) in order to make my True Will manifest.

Thank you for that ... Jedi !

Build, not tear down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
5 years 6 months ago #328215 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Your Definition...
The whole question is missing a key ingredient:
Jediism means whatever you want it to, it's just all star wars inspired.
TotJO Jediism means whatever you want it to, unless it involves a different site or goes against the powers that be.

Either way, everyone's answers here are equally valid in that sense

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #328221 by
Replied by on topic Your Definition...
I’ve tried several times to explain my definition in a few paragraphs and I just can’t do it. There are too many facets to compress into a single post. Instead I’ll pick the most important pieces of “my Jediism”. The first and foremost is the exploration and understanding of who I am. This isn’t the image I have of myself or my goal, but who I actually am. The honest examination of motives and the source of behavior and choices. Only once we understand the deep workings of ourselves can we hope to truly understand the depth of others or the world around us.

Secondly would be self-discipline. I have always viewed the dark side as acting against our virtues or morals. Doing it from time to time won’t change us in any dramatic way, but every time we take that path we lose a little bit more of who we are. Self-discipline is needed to help stay the path of virtue and prevent losing ourselves to the impulses and desires of instant-gratification and/or temptation. When self-discipline is combined with living in the moment you recognize that we only make one choice at a time and even the truly wretched can make one good choice.

Third is our connection with the rest of existence. I do believe that there is a connection between every single last piece of the universe. Every quark, electron, element, cell, being, environment, etc. The dynamics of these complex relationships are beyond my comprehension, I will admit. However I have no doubt of their existence and that my choices can have consequences well beyond what I observe. I experience the world with the knowledge that I am the world and the world is me. We are all together in the Force.

The last and certainly not least facet of “my Jediism” is love. I afford anyone the benefit of the doubt. I’ll give anyone a hand. I don’t see race or religion. I see a reflection of myself raised under different circumstances. I see who I could have been and someone who could have been me. We are all as brothers and sisters in this life. We all share the same experiences and feel the same emotions. We all struggle and face challenge. We all have triumphs and victories. The more you learn about someone else(without bias) the more you cannot help but love them. There is a quote from Ender’s Game that really stuck with me. “In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. I think it’s impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.” – Ender.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #328237 by
Jediism, to me, is a faith in the Force. Faith, as I see it, is usually partially (if not completely blind). That is, after all, what faith is. To believe in something despite not knowing if it is real. So Jediism is a partial or complete blind faith in the idea of this energy field generated by all living things, that surrounds us, binds us, penetrates us, and binds the universe together.

But I do not have faith in the Force. I know that is is indeed real. Can I prove it to someone? Nope. But I've felt it, moved it, and seen it being generated. Twas only for a brief moment, but it was unlike anything I had ever felt or seen before. So, for me, Jediism is a faith in something I know to be fact, so it is not a matter of faith for me and, as such, I cannot call myself a Jediist. I am a Jedi, or more specifically, a Jedi Realist, because I lack the faith component I outlined.

So what does that entail?

The Force calls us to service. One is provided a choice in life. To be a blunt, rusty knife and be inadequate for their calling in life when it comes... or one can be the pristine medical scalpel that does its job perfectly. The Force can call on a Jedi to act at any moment, and as such one must prepare diligently for that moment so that they do not hesitate, no matter what the task is. They must train spiritually, mentally, and physically to become the vessel for the Force they can be.

And secondly, it is a recognition of the infinite connections between all people, things, and events, and to be able to see these connections as they are, rather than how we perceive them to be. It is an impossible task, almost requiring one to lose themselves, to step above being human many times, or at least to rise above basic human nature, to ensure they see truth as it is rather than how they want it or think it is.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #328532 by
To be honest, I wouldn't call it Jedi I guess.. The Force has always been real to me. With or without jedi.. So I've taken a more pragmatic approach to my craft. Especially lately..

Life is Spirit, Spirit is Life.. it's everywhere, in everything.. so my walk is to walk with it as I can, to study intimately, to defend zealously, and serve humbly..

The Force is power, and I am a child of that power. As such, I want to develop the calm mind, loving heart, and dynamic power inherent to that nature. To be with the Force is to love it. To Love it is to be of service to it as it loves and serves me.. The freedom of power is tempered by my love and service towards Life/Spirit..

As a wise man once said "The greatest among you must be a servant to all"..

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi