American Jedi Documentry

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #291980 by
Replied by on topic American Jedi Documentry

rrhodes67 wrote: I don't know, I got the feeling that maybe it would do more damage than good. A lot of the trailer made it look more like a Cos-Play/Living RPG than anything else. A lot of people already seem to have the impression that it's just a bunch of people running around in robes playing with lightsabers. A lot of this trailer seemed to reinforce that image. The actual documentary may not.

I have more faith in the director than that. ;) After all, he managed to make a docu about bronies without it turning into a parody.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #291984 by
You could very well be right, and I hope so. I was just going from my impression of the trailer.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #291985 by

rrhodes67 wrote: You could very well be right, and I hope so. I was just going from my impression of the trailer.

Oh, I feel you there. :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #292006 by
well i think alot of that is a projected bias as well :) Many here puts up walls when they see any hint of a robe or lightsaber.

But I can tell you the robes and lightsabers were only brought out for the ceremony as a sign of respectful unity.

People wear robes and fight with lightsabers for more reasons than just RPG. And it should be showed. It is part of what a great percentage of the community practices with. :)

Laurent was a great guy. Ill be honest I did enjoy talking and working with him. I just don't favor the focus of his show.

More
6 years 8 months ago #292023 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic American Jedi Documentry
That was....difficult to watch for me personally. I feel like the idea was sound, however his selection, doesn't represent the spread of the community to well, but I think I can understand the picking as well. Some good picks...and some not....I'm weary of how its going to represent. But to each their own personal journey right?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #292025 by
Well sadly part of the picks was based on what he had. These are the people that stood up and offered to be on his show.

......of course....there were others too....Others he could have chosen to follow but...

Month later he called me and said he was cutting me out of it nearly completely because in the middle of my ceremony he left my path to record someone elses so it wasn't a completed following.

*Shrugs* like I said...I get it....at the same time...i see a few major no no's that had I known they were said/done...I would have faught harder to keep them out :-/

we will see i guess

More
6 years 8 months ago #292038 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic American Jedi Documentry

Trisskar wrote: Well sadly part of the picks was based on what he had. These are the people that stood up and offered to be on his show.

......of course....there were others too....Others he could have chosen to follow but...

Month later he called me and said he was cutting me out of it nearly completely because in the middle of my ceremony he left my path to record someone elses so it wasn't a completed following.

*Shrugs* like I said...I get it....at the same time...i see a few major no no's that had I known they were said/done...I would have faught harder to keep them out :-/

we will see i guess

Yeah...
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
6 years 8 months ago #292128 by Alethea Thompson
Interesting take on the film:

"On the distributor's side, Dan Fisher, Vice President of Acquisitions for Freestyle Digital Media, says: 'This hilarious documentary deftly walks the fine line between a satirical poke and a love letter to the Jedi community."'

http://screenanarchy.com/2017/07/exclusive-american-jedi-heads-for-release-via-freestyle-digital-media.html

(As to my thoughts, I reserve them for the films release.)

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: FTPC

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #292133 by
Of course this film will showcase the more sensationalist aspects of the community, the fringes, the things people will find weird. When you're making a film you focus on the characters, not the quiet and capable (besides a relatable protagonist perhaps). People like Hannigan would be an absolute gift to a documentarian.

You think they'd get funding for a film which was about how normal and ordinary some group most people have never heard of are? Would you pay money to see that? I sure wouldn't :D

It is what it is, if it brings more true seekers to our community so much the better. If not, well, at least we get to enjoy seeing our buddies up there on the screen.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by .

More
6 years 8 months ago #292142 by Alethea Thompson
*not saying...* No, no, I'll say this at least- I have confidence in Hannigan's role in all of this. I believe he did a far better job of representing us than many expect.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: FTPC