Lightsaber Combat Training - the way of the Warrior

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #238777 by

MadHatter wrote:

jake_sato wrote: Also Bokken training swords are also useful for this training purpose as they do not break, and do not hurt as much when struck. Thirdly being wooden they simulate the light weight balance of a true lightsaber.

One needs to be careful with such advice as I have had my hand broken by training with bokken. In fact the reason that Kendo went to Shinai is because of how dangerous solid wood bokken can be even with padding. Heck there is even a tale of Musashi killing a man with a bokken made from a boat oar.
Not trying to come off as a jerk just adding information that can save people a lot of pain.

One requires pain in training to allow you to know you are completing these exercises properly. If you are experiencing ANY pain during training - you are not ready to wield a REAL sword. of any type. PAIN in training allows for one to master a movement as to not strike themselves with their own blade. thank you very much for your words!

Attachment hd1e06ee.jpg not found

After pain comes great reward - during this battle Anakin was struck, hard. After this he never lost a limb again until his son took it. Why? he mastered the style of which was his downfall. we often must be struck and feel pain to never be struck that way again. in life and in training!
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 week ago #238797 by

After pain comes great reward - during this battle Anakin was struck, hard. After this he never lost a limb again until his son took it.

Actually, Obi-Wan took the other three limbs way before he ever meant Luke Skywalker.

More
8 years 1 week ago #238808 by MadHatter
Jake training should NEVER involve broken bones and possible death outside of the special forces. One does not need to have a useless hand for 2 to 3 months to learn. The sting of Shinai is way more then enough to teach people they did something wrong.
If people are suffering broken bones and sever bruises during a teachers classes that teacher is seriously out of their mind. Safety of the students if first and foremost in any class.
Also as Khaos is right he lost the other three limbs at the blade of Obi Wan.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 week ago #238830 by

MadHatter wrote: Jake training should NEVER involve broken bones and possible death outside of the special forces. One does not need to have a useless hand for 2 to 3 months to learn. The sting of Shinai is way more then enough to teach people they did something wrong.
If people are suffering broken bones and sever bruises during a teachers classes that teacher is seriously out of their mind. Safety of the students if first and foremost in any class.

Everyone trains at their own level - and no you should never push yourself - TOO far...

More
8 years 1 week ago #238832 by MadHatter

jake_sato wrote:

MadHatter wrote: Jake training should NEVER involve broken bones and possible death outside of the special forces. One does not need to have a useless hand for 2 to 3 months to learn. The sting of Shinai is way more then enough to teach people they did something wrong.

Everyone trains at their own level - and no you should never push yourself - TOO far...

This I totally agree with. I mean those at high levels of training should move up until the are using live blade. However at the start foam or Shinia are a good idea. I just didnt want some newbie reading this and then getting a bokken and getting themselves or their training partner seriously hurt. Sure we might hope that people here are wiser then that. But one can never be sure.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 week ago #238894 by

MadHatter wrote:

jake_sato wrote:

This I totally agree with. I mean those at high levels of training should move up until the are using live blade. However at the start foam or Shinia are a good idea. I just didnt want some newbie reading this and then getting a bokken and getting themselves or their training partner seriously hurt. Sure we might hope that people here are wiser then that. But one can never be sure.

Again I thank you for your concern, I have to remain vigilant in saying tho - those who can not handle training at higher levels - should not. That is very obvious to ordinary cautious and prudent individuals. Such as Jedi ;)

More
8 years 1 week ago #239414 by Adder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YROLvYhXxiU

For me, that is Form 3 :)

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin,

More
7 years 10 months ago #244243 by Albali Cometlast
Thank You Jake

I'll start practicing and how I hope to go forward in my ability to duel with my level while in the temple and to perfect 7 forms of mourning while I strengthen body and mind. Any advice for a rookie?

May the Force be with you

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #244252 by
Jake,

Some interesting stuff. You guys get together for sparring and such? Do you integrate hand to hand training into this practice as well?

Best Regards,
- Mindas Ar'ran

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #244756 by
I like this form, thank you for you contribution in saber combat, I look forward to tranning after I become a novice and acquire my first tranning saber

Attachment h84fcf3b.jpeg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi