Psychic abilites

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #15865 by
Replied by on topic Re:Psychic abilites
As brother john it is not part of jediism as such... as with many things, measurable phenomenon requires a 100% bullet proof scientific environment to measure so even things like utube vids etc always be discounted.

I for one with apprentices tell them form the outset 'force powers' (for want of a better term) are not something I can or will try to teach as I firmly believe these are things either already present or not to the individual concern and I also feel that those with any 'powers' (again what ever term you wish to use) will be aware of them to some degree before they stumble across Jediism.

Jediism is not about 'force powers' and 'zapping bad guys with lightning' etc or lightsabres for that matter. In the case of this topic on this forum it is/was just somewhere to talk about it. having a cookery section does not make us Chefs either.

Also, there is no denying instinctive feeling/behaviour in any animals (and yes folks we too are merely animals just with over inflated ego's) so perhaps any abilities are merely varying degrees of this between individuals.

We all have skills etc that others do not have why should this be any different?

MTFBWY - A

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #15875 by
Kana Seiko Haruki wrote:

As brother john it is not part of jediism as such... as with many things, measurable phenomenon requires a 100% bullet proof scientific environment to measure so even things like utube vids etc always be discounted.

I for one with apprentices tell them form the outset 'force powers' (for want of a better term) are not something I can or will try to teach as I firmly believe these are things either already present or not to the individual concern and I also feel that those with any 'powers' (again what ever term you wish to use) will be aware of them to some degree before they stumble across Jediism.

Jediism is not about 'force powers' and 'zapping bad guys with lightning' etc or lightsabres for that matter. In the case of this topic on this forum it is/was just somewhere to talk about it. having a cookery section does not make us Chefs either.

Also, there is no denying instinctive feeling/behaviour in any animals (and yes folks we too are merely animals just with over inflated ego's) so perhaps any abilities are merely varying degrees of this between individuals.

We all have skills etc that others do not have why should this be any different?

MTFBWY - A

Thanks for the clarification on the point of 'superpowers' and trying to develop psychokinesis.

As far as training to enhance your awareness of your surroundings and sharpening your senses that is definitely worthwhile.
I identify with the tenets set out in the basis of jedism I guess I just cringe from fringe and I'm glad to hear that you folks are based on a solidly reaslistic and moralistic worldview!

Meditation, learning to control breathing, training your body through martial arts (which can help to heighten and train your reflexes - nothing superhuman mind you but amazing nonetheless!) and working toward perfecting your mind and training it in a moral code is commendable!

Keep up the good work guys.
Sorry if I seem like I'm testing you out a bit but this is my first exposure here and I wasn't sure what I was getting into.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #15876 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Psychic abilites
Garm wrote:

While I do not normally exhibit any abilities I did experience a pronounced ‘lousy’ feeling yesterday as I was sitting down at my desk to have lunch. It as accompanied with a clear thought of the Temples' forum page in my mind’s eye…thus I logged on and behold, there was something going on… :side:

I can relate to that Brother. Very often I have had particular feelings which have led me to take final decisions in every day life. And very often were the right ones. I don`t think it is really of any relevance whether it can be proved, is realistic, or others believe it, you just know. Thanks. MTFSYW

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.
Last edit: 15 years 9 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #15880 by
Well, yes, good reflexes and awareness are good... particularly for a Jedi, because although we are not necessarily supernatural, we still have a duty to uphold, to defend those who cannot defend themselves... which is obviously difficult without martial arts or good reflexes.

Even so (this doesn't really have to do with being a Jedi, it's just always been there), I've wanted to move things with my mind since I was a kid, and I doubt I'll ever give up on that dream.

But yes, you folks right, simple awareness and instinct, even on a basic animal level, is better than nothing. :D

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #15885 by
Sauron wrote:

Garm wrote:

While I do not normally exhibit any abilities I did experience a pronounced ‘lousy’ feeling yesterday as I was sitting down at my desk to have lunch. It as accompanied with a clear thought of the Temples' forum page in my mind’s eye…thus I logged on and behold, there was something going on… :side:

I can relate to that Brother. Very often I have had particular feelings which have led me to take final decisions in every day life. And very often were the right ones. I don`t think it is really of any relevance whether it can be proved, is realistic, or others believe it, you just know. Thanks. MTFSYW

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Besides, acting on instinct or recognition of paradigm or experience is nothing which requires a 'supernatural' explanation.

I disagree with you completely though. Whether or not it can be proved is very relevant if you want to be taken seriously or dismissed as a fringe group of movie fanatics or as a serious religion.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #15891 by
White Crane wrote:

I disagree with you completely though. Whether or not it can be proved is very relevant if you want to be taken seriously or dismissed as a fringe group of movie fanatics or as a serious religion.

Ok, I am not picking on you personally by quoting you, its just an excellent example of what i am about to say so bear with me...

If we were for example, a Staunch Christian forum here, and one or several members said something like they had heard God speak to them or saw any number of the associated holy people (Mary, Jesus etc) no one would really question them or slate the entire faith for the beliefs of a few.

Entire economies are developed around such claims, Lourdes in France is one of many, and all faiths have such places of pilgrimage (except for Jediism I believe).

The term supernatural is a term that kind of irritates me, once again it is a term made by humans to cover their own backs and keep face. What we really mean is that it is beyond true human understanding and comprehension, and we cannot come up with a good explanation for it. The simple truth and fact of the matter is even if everyone could and did demonstrate these things, people would always find an argument to refute them so what is the point of even trying. Like with any religions etc, everyone has their own opinions and ideas, why is it necessary to argue about them? surly isn't an attitude of 'each to their own' a much easier and non confrontational way? I/we have our beliefs, you and others have yours, for crying out loud, wars are fought over such 'differences of opinion' and that is the ultimate in futile acts.

Again, using the Christian ideas as an example (I was raised a Christian so feel kinda qualified to use it as example) If someone popped up now saying 'I am the son of God' or 'The world as we know it was created in 7 days' at best they'd be laughed at, more likely taken away by men in white coats and drugged up.

As with many things, misunderstanding leads to fear and we all know the rest of the line. I am no 'Star Wars Geek' I appreciate the movies sure but my Jedist beliefs are separate from the SW universe. Dismissed or not, my beliefs remain that... MINE and I happen to share them with others not only on this site but others too. You too are welcome to yours, but I have not asked you to 'prove' anything. We could counter you and tell you to disprove our beliefs. frankly, most here are used to and resound to being viewed as somewhat whacko, but in truth, if any religious beliefs, were to be micro analyses... all could be 'mocked' in one way or another.

We the Jedi however believe in freedom of thoughts n speech and beliefs, you only have to look at the various Rites to see this in action, and lets be honest here, no one really knows the whole truth for sure, and when we find the answers for ourselves, we are unlikely to be able to communicate with those we leave behind. On the off chance we do manage this, those we communicate with, will only be subjected to taunts etc.

All these things come down to simple faith. It is yet another example of a pointless discussion really as its like two dogs chasing each others tails ad infinitum. This topic was originally started for people to post what they BELIEVE to be 'intervention' supernatural, force or otherwise (I would hereby like to apologise to the topic starter for their perfectly reasonable thread being taken over like this). I for one am interested in others example, hell, it isnt like anyone has claimed to to get an X-Wing fighter out of a swamp or shoot lightning from their fingers.

Anyway... that's enough, I need to go and raise the titanic through will power alone now :unsure: :huh: :ohmy:

:woohoo: :silly: ;)

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
15 years 9 months ago #15892 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Psychic abilites
White Crane wrote:

Sauron wrote:

Garm wrote:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Besides, acting on instinct or recognition of paradigm or experience is nothing which requires a 'supernatural' explanation.

That`s fine. We differ maybe because public opinion as far as my personal experiences are concerned are not important.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #15893 by
White Crane wrote:

I also do not want to pick on you, but have you not ever had a feeling that told you to do or not to do? Intuition one might call it, but for many of us here a way of life which we call the Force.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #15896 by
azrel wrote:

White Crane wrote:

I also do not want to pick on you, but have you not ever had a feeling that told you to do or not to do? Intuition one might call it, but for many of us here a way of life which we call the Force.

ALL: Don't worry about picking on me =) I can take criticism and counter-argument so long as it doesn't become ad-hominem.

I hold christianity with equal skepticism. Sometimes it's laughable really like the 'miracle' trade and so forth really. When one person believes in a delusional belief it's called insanity. When a billion believe in it it's called faith.

I rule nothing out. I am a seeker and I'm probably what you'd call agnostic and have a 'non-exist' base position. Therefore I want proof of something before believing it. Faith is not enough for me.

In any case, many people call many things by different names of the same thing. I might call those feelings intuition or subconsciuos paradigm recognition... you call it the force. TomAto, Tomato... =)

I just like to challenge ideas and hopefully people in the discussion including myself gain a better perspective on the whole from it.

I like this site a lot. Keep the thoughts flowing.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #15899 by
All my thought are mine and not views of temple (have to put this, the down side of being admin)

We as Jedi are sometimes a little defensive/jumpy as we are (like any 'new' or 'different' group regularly targeted for jibes etc so please always bear this in mind whne you post to anything on this or other forums.

We too like to learn other viewpoints and encourage the expressions of these views. As long as no one is insulting or rude etc, anyone is welcome to participate in our temple, we have many members who are not actively practising Jedist.

My personal take of the 'name' issue is this, I think my nearest other name for what we call The Force, is Mother Nature... does this cast any new light on the subject for you?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi