• Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #3178 by
The topic has been locked.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #3459 by
I tried reading this article but found myself stuck within the first few sentences. However i tried to read on and persevere, but it just became more confusing.

The article from the outset doesn't explaining clearly what it is about and is very vague about this. It also use a number of metaphors that are confused and which the author doesn't explaining leaving me oblivious to it's meaning.

The lack of explaination has prevented me from reading it, as what is the point reading something that i cannot understand.

I found the article concerning black and white a much clearer read and much more interesting.Whereas this one has left me wondering what the article is concerned about.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #3653 by
I would like to formaly submit my name for registration in this course. At the promptings of Bishop Whiteman. Thank you for your time on this matter.

Justinian
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #3842 by
I would have to agree with whiteknight, i got about 2 pages into it and started wondering where it was all going, i skipped ahead, lol. Sorry, hope you can take constructive criticism. Good luck with the book though, i hope you did get it right, i know it can be hard, i have been working on a scifi book for some time now and just keep getting writers block.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #3845 by
Innocence_Lost wrote:

I would have to agree with whiteknight, i got about 2 pages into it and started wondering where it was all going, i skipped ahead, lol. Sorry, hope you can take constructive criticism. Good luck with the book though, i hope you did get it right, i know it can be hard, i have been working on a scifi book for some time now and just keep getting writers block.

LOL, John is not writing this Book. This Book was written By Alan Watts the Philosopher among other things back in the 60's. If youre really having that much trouble with it then I suggest you spend more time with it. It is important. You shouldn't just skip it because it doesn't interest you. Not everything will. But it is a vital that you take in all the pieces or it would not be in the classwork. Is this an indication of your intellectual stamina? Remember, FOCUS. KNOWLEDGE. WISDOM.
and yes, they come in that Order for a reason. Good luck with your second try and MTFBWY
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #3848 by
LMAO, OMG, i didn't even think about it as a class sesion, i opened it and just started reading without thinking of the context or purpose that i should have been reading it in. And i am sorry that i thought it was something that he was trying to get opinions on, i am so imbarrased now, lol. Okey, i will read it, it was just that Watts speaks so much as to why he was writting, it just really threw me off. Thanks for clearing me up.
MTFBWY
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #3850 by
Honestly i am glad that you put me in my place, i read it all the way threw and it was a very good read. I do not know why i didn't earlier, maybe i was just distracted. I had trouble understanding some of it but those parts i would read again and understood better. I am not used to reading things that are so philisophically inclined (i hope that made snese, lol). Is that the name of the book? 'The Book', i would like to find out if it is at our library. I really enjoy reading books that make people question their own views on things, life, 'God' or the 'Gods', and the universe itself. Currently i am reading The metaphysics, a book with much of Aristotles writtings.
May The Force Be With You
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #3851 by
I am Glad you took it to Heart. As Jedi we are often called to examine ourselves in order to better understand others. This is the heart of Compassion. Yes, The Book's title is \"The Book\". Depending on your Library it may or may not be hard to find but there are many used (i.e. Inexpensive) copies available online both on Ebay.com and Amazon.com. I look forward to hearing your response to the reading and readings ahead and MTFBWY
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #3866 by
What I personally \"got\" from reading Chapter 1 of 'The Book' is, we are all part of everything else, we just don't realize it yet, because we are taught that we are we, and everything else, is everything else. Sometimes, we need to sit back, relax, and look at the world with our heart, instead of our eyes. Yes, sounds hokey, and cliche, but, too true, we like to see things with our eyes, so that we may rationalize, and use our superior 'logic' that we believe to possess over everything else. If we were to \"see\" with out heart, we may actually find the thing that we were looking for in the first place, 'God', or as put so very well in that book, our 'self', the thing that we have been looking for since the dawn of 'our' time, and not being able to find, because we didn't know that it was our very self that we have been looking for.

That's just a what I gathered from reading it, though, it, to me, is exactly what Mr. Watts was trying to get across to us, quit using rationalization, and see the world through our hearts, not our minds, to find harmony with the world instead of conquering it, is to find harmony with ourselves.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #3871 by
I am not always great with words, which is why i didn't write my thoughts on the chapter, but i don't think i could have put it a better way, although i don't think we should view the world intirely without our mind, information from our hearts must be processed into something that we can understand. Take how i remember and view things for example. Everything i encounter has a feeling to it, if an event happens, i remember that event threw the way it felt to me, i remember people threw the way they feel to me, but i can't remember all of these things unless i use my mind. Of course considering that the heart and mind do have some trouble communicating from time to time, i will get a feeling and won't know why, be it a person, place, event, time, etc. And sometimes if something comes up, and i need to remember something all i really need to do is 'look up' that feeling, but sometimes i can find the feeling but then not the memory that goes with it. I don't know if anyone else remembers things this way but i have for a very long time now, and i think it is slightly relevent to the chapter. We can view the world with our brains all day long and still not know exactly what is going on, we can view the world with our hearts and know what is going on but not fully understand it, but when the heart is working as the pilot and the brain the co-pilot, i believe we can get anything done.

MTFBWY
Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi