The search continues....

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #81514 by
Replied by on topic Re: The search continues....
How did the double entry happen?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 4 months ago #81532 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: The search continues....

Phortis Nespin wrote: How did the double entry happen?

I usually just blame Ren...;).,

LOL!

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: , MCSH

More
11 years 4 months ago #81601 by Wescli Wardest
That is a great video SikikSoulja and it would seem that someone has had a very similar idea and the time to work on it. He even expresses that we need to be looking for “patterns” instead of just particular things to identify this phenomenon.

I am working on a reply to Phortis Nespin at the moment. He asked about searching for a light pattern. Which is an excellent idea! I had been considering what exactly we might be looking for over the last several days… energy, light, magnetic field or perhaps some kind of “heat source” or caloric burn?

As odd as it may sound, because whatever device would be used to identify said phenomenon exists it would share properties with the sought after phenomenon so would there be a way to identify it with the device? That was what leads me to think that we needed to be searching for “patterns” in results… but patterns of what!?!??! :unsure:

Monastic Order of Knights

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #81639 by Wescli Wardest
Light is unique in that it has properties of energy and the physical. It can effect things as something with mass does, carry information, flow in waves (as energy does) and be effected by electric magnetic and gravitational fields.

Light
Light is electromagnetic radiation that has properties of waves. The electromagnetic spectrum can be divided into several bands based on the wavelength of the light waves. Visible light (what Our eyes interpret) represents a narrow group of wavelengths between about 380 nm (1 nm = 10-9 m) and 730 nm.

Attachment 1.gif not found

Velocity of Light and Refractive Index

The energy of light is related to its frequency and velocity as follows:
E = hv = hC/Alpha
where E = energy
h = Planck's constant, 6.62517 x 10-27 erg.sec
v = frequency
C = velocity of light = 2.99793 x 1010 cm/sec
Alpha = wavelength
I couldn't find the alpha key so I just wrote Alpha for the wavelength...

The velocity of light, C, in a vacuum is 2.99793 x 1010cm/sec (186,282.4 mps). Light cannot travel faster than this (theoreticly), but if it travels through a substance, its velocity will decrease. Note that from the equation given above-
C = v•Alpha
The frequency of vibration, v, remains constant when the light passes through a substance. Thus, if the velocity, C, is reduced on passage through a substance, the wavelength, Alpha, must also decrease.
We then define refractive index, n, of a material or substance as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum, C, to the speed of light in a material through which it passes, Cm.
n = C/Cm

Note that the value of refractive index will always be greater than 1.0, since Cm can never be greater than C. In general, Cm depends on the density of the material, with Cm decreasing with increasing density. Thus, higher density materials will have higher refractive indices.

The refractive index of any material depends on the wavelength of light because different wavelengths are interfered with to different extents by the atoms that make up the material. In general refractive index varies linearly with wavelength.

Materials can be divided into 2 classes based on how the velocity of light of a particular wavelength varies in the material.

1. Materials whose refractive index does not depend on the direction that the light travels are called isotropic materials. In these materials the velocity of light does not depend on the direction that the light travels. Isotropic materials have a single, constant refractive index for each wavelength. Minerals that crystallize in the isometric system, by virtue of their symmetry, are isotropic. Similarly, glass, gases, most liquids and amorphous solids are isotropic.

2. Materials whose refractive index does depend on the direction that the light travels are called anisotropic materials. These types of materials will have a range of refractive indices between two extreme values for each wavelength. Anisotropic materials can be further divided into two subclasses.

a. Minerals that crystallize in the tetragonal and hexagonal crystal systems (as well as some plastics) are uniaxial and are characterized by 2 extreme refractive indices for each wavelength.

b. Minerals that crystallize in the triclinic, monoclinic, and orthorhombic crystal systems are biaxial and are characterized by 3 refractive indices, one of which is intermediate between the other two.
Air, since it is a gas, is isotropic. The refractive index of air is usually taken as 1.0, although its true value is 1.0003.

Reflection and Refraction of Light
When light strikes an interface between two substances with different refractive indices, two things occur. An incident ray of light striking the interface at an angle, i, measured between a line perpendicular to the interface and the propagation direction of the incident ray, will be reflected off the interface at the same angle, i. In other words the angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence.

If the second substance is transparent to light, then a ray of light will enter the substance with different refractive index, and will be refracted, or bent, at an angle r, the angle of refraction. The angle of refraction is dependent on the angle of incidence and the refractive index of the materials on either side of the interface according to Snell's Law:
ni sin (i) = nr sin (r)

Attachment 2.gif not found

Note that if the angle of incidence is 0o (i.e. the light enters perpendicular to the interface) that some of the light will be reflected directly back, and the refracted ray will continue along the same path. This can be seen from Snell's law, since sin (0o) = 0, making sin (r) = 0, and resulting in r = 0.

There is also an angle, ic, called the critical angle for total internal reflection where the refracted ray travels along the interface between the two substances.
This occurs when the angle r = 90o. In this case, applying Snell's law:
ni sin (ic) = nr sin (90o) = nr [since sin (90o) = 1]

sin (ic) = nr/ni

Attachment 3.gif not found

Dispersion of Light
The fact that refractive indices differ for each wavelength of light produces an effect called dispersion. This can be seen by shining a beam of white light into a triangular prism made of glass. White light entering such a prism will be refracted in the prism by different angles depending on the wavelength of the light.

Attachment 4.gif not found

The refractive index for longer wavelengths (red) is lower than those for shorter wavelengths (violet). This results in the greater angle of refraction for the longer wavelengths than for the shorter wavelengths. (Shown here are the paths taken for a wavelength of 800 nm, angle r800 and for a wavelength of 300 nm, angle r300). When the light exits from the other side of the prism, we see the different wavelengths dispersed to show the different colors of the spectrum.

Absorption of Light

When light enters a transparent material some of its energy is dissipated as heat energy, and it thus loses some of its intensity. When this absorption of energy occurs selectively for different wavelengths of light, they light that gets transmitted through the material will show only those wavelengths of light that are not absorbed. The transmitted wavelengths will then be seen as color, called the absorption color of the material.

For example, if we measure the intensity of light, Io, for each wavelength before it is transmitted through a material, and measure the intensity, I, for each wavelength after it has passed through the material, and plot I/Io versus wavelength we obtain the absorption curve for that material as shown here. The absorption curve (continuous line) for the material in this example shows that the light exiting the material will have a yellow-green color, called the absorption color. An opaque substance would have an absorption curve such as that labeled "Dark", i.e. no wavelengths would be transmitted.
Sunlight, on passing through the atmosphere has absorption curve as shown, thus we see it as white light, since all wavelengths are present.

http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/geol211/proplight.htm

Light pressure
Light exerts physical pressure on objects in its path, a phenomenon which can be deduced by Maxwell's equations, but can be more easily explained by the particle nature of light: photons strike and transfer their momentum. Light pressure is equal to the power of the light beam divided by c, the speed of light. Due to the magnitude of c, the effect of light pressure is negligible for everyday objects.

There is also an interesting pdf on light here… http://spie.org/Documents/Publications/00%20STEP%20Module%2001.pdf

Irradiance
Irradiance is the power of electromagnetic radiation per unit area incident on a surface. Radiant emittance (radiant exitance) is the power per unit area radiated by a surface. The SI units for all of these quantities are watts per square meter (W/m2), while the cgs units are ergs per square centimeter per second (erg•cm−2•s−1, often used in astronomy). These quantities are sometimes called intensity, but this usage leads to confusion with radiant intensity, which has different units.

All of these quantities characterize the total amount of radiation present, at all frequencies. It is also common to consider each frequency in the spectrum separately. When this is done for radiation incident on a surface, it is called spectral irradiance, and has SI units W/m3, or commonly W•m−2•nm−1.

If a point source radiates light uniformly in all directions through a non-absorptive medium, then the irradiance decreases in proportion to the square of the distance from the object.

If you would like to look more into irradiance here is a good paper on that… http://www.volker-quaschning.de/articles/fundamentals1/index.php

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Wescli Wardest.

More
11 years 4 months ago #81640 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: The search continues....
It's gotta be another dimension doesnt it? With things like quantum teleportation, and why gravity works instantaneously at distance.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #81684 by Wescli Wardest

Adder wrote: It's gotta be another dimension doesnt it? With things like quantum teleportation, and why gravity works instantaneously at distance.

Does what have another dimension? I'm not sure I'm clear on what you're asking... :unsure:

I mean, there are several "theorized" dimensions and sometimes it seems the further we reach to solve a question mathematically the more dimensions we get! :P

hahahahahhahahha :D

Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Wescli Wardest.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #81700 by
this is funny, cuz my girlfriend and i were just talking about this this morning as the cat pawed at her reflection in the mirror to get to 'shadow nienke'. i said according to multiverse theory, it stands to reason that there is an entire universe made entirely of antimatter (with pockets of matter as we have pockets of antimatter here). so something something something cat, i forget the exact thing we arrived at, it was way early.

More
11 years 4 months ago #81733 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: The search continues....

Wescli Wardest wrote:

Adder wrote: It's gotta be another dimension doesnt it? With things like quantum teleportation, and why gravity works instantaneously at distance.

Does what have another dimension? I'm not sure I'm clear on what you're asking... :unsure:

I agree that the plant can be conscious, because I think its a subjective assessment based on the objects relativity to the observer. I take that position because for all intents and purposes our brains are too powerful for us to know whether we are the sum of mental processing, or some conscious spark/soul.

If its the sum of mental processing then that makes it easy - its just a survival mechanism to be aware of being aware ie self awareness. So then of course I sidetrack myself and wonder does the belief (of a soul etc) itself represent its own consciousness LOL, or of course if a soul type of entity does exist this also leaves me wondering about higher states or awareness; precognition and higher senses. Such questions probably fertilize the minds to consider any aspect of nature which is beyond time, and being timeless to operate and influence others accordingly. Which leaves me looking at unexplained concepts such as gravity and those quantum things. I feel that the harmonic resonance transfer of information can only explain so much, which leads me to wonder about other dimensions and consciousness.... which starts to incorporate the supernatural aspect of spirituality and gets a bit harder to rationalize. I hate how maths has other dimensions but yea it is offtopic, soz.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
11 years 4 months ago #81736 by Wescli Wardest

Adder wrote: I agree that the plant can be conscious, because I think its a subjective assessment based on the objects relativity to the observer.

...of course if a soul type of entity does exist this also leaves me wondering about higher states or awareness; precognition and higher senses. Such questions probably fertilize the minds to consider any aspect of nature which is beyond time, and being timeless to operate and influence others accordingly. Which leaves me looking at unexplained concepts such as gravity and those quantum things. I feel that the harmonic resonance transfer of information can only explain so much, which leads me to wonder about other dimensions and consciousness....

That was wonderfully put! And these are the same things which have spurred my mind into action on more than one occasion.

Part of me wants to say that it is because of our limited definitions and understanding that we are so hesitant to delve into the socially unaccepted, and explore new possibilities. After watching the Nassim Haramein video I looked up his papers and any research I could find of his. I found his ideas interesting and a different way of looking at things but I regret to say that his math is, at best, questionable. This, of course, does not discredit his ideas… but rather leads to me believe we need more people trying to figure what is actually going on. I have often felt that no matter how closely we look at a thing we will always find ways of looking deeper into it and discovering that the equation goes further than originally guessed. That is what leads me to the search for the missing identifier being a pattern.

I had a (hair brained) theory one time about music… Many of us can not say why it is that we like certain music or why our “tastes vary from time to time. Wondering about this one day, in a physics class, I thought “why does music have to be the creation of the individual?” Could it not be possible that music resides in its own dimension and the artist merely reaches into that dimension and pulls out a tune, harmony, melody or song that others can connect to? Then, some part of our mind, or soul, could share a piece of these dimensions and the song we hear connects us to that dimension. Or, there are several dimensions and each has music that is associated with it and when we hear it we are then connected to an unseen realm we somehow know. Depending on our connection to that place we either like it, dislike it or are indifferent. Just a thought… and off topic! :P

For days I have been researching in my free time looking for a connecting “thing” that might have been overlooked by others or not given the opportunity to succeed… I am always open to suggestion, ideas or random thought. But a part of me really feels that the connection be found in connecting things that are currently thought to be unconnected.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #81740 by
So I finished reading the report on light. I had a recurring thought...

Light is electromagnetic, the earth has a magnetic field, what if the plants focus the earths positive or negative magnetic field with the opposite light electromagnetic field, causing it to turn toward the source of light? This may be why plant lights in the specific range work better than standard light bulbs for growing purposes?

Like I said, I don't know anything about plants or science so this may be common scientist knowledge, but for me, it sounds like I'm smart??? :huh:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi