Re-wiring your brain...?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #211815 by
Replied by on topic Re-wiring your brain...?
I think about this a lot....Do I believe it because it has one foot in reality or because I WANT to believe it? Many of my meditations focus/reflect on this....is it only wishful thinking?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #211821 by Breeze el Tierno
Neuroplasticity is a well documented phenomenon. You don't need to hope it's true. I work with survivors of brain injury. It is the basic foundation of our work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #211830 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Re-wiring your brain...?

Cabur Senaar wrote: Neuroplasticity is a well documented phenomenon. You don't need to hope it's true. I work with survivors of brain injury. It is the basic foundation of our work.

other than whats been presented here already, is there any particular online source you might suggest to get a trustworthy intro or to keep current with the topic?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #211852 by

Cabur Senaar wrote: Neuroplasticity is a well documented phenomenon. You don't need to hope it's true. I work with survivors of brain injury. It is the basic foundation of our work.

It has it's limits. The brain like a muscle has it's limits of development. An injured muscle will strive to repair itself. Neuroplasticity is a natural function that has finally been discovered and explored. Those of good enough intuition have learned to use it. I reflect on, hope/believe, it has potential to explore our brains unlimited potential.

My comment was incomplete. Is it the key to consciously unlocking our unlimited potential or just mental physical fitness? Which is a very good thing, difficult thing to do but a good thing. I muse on higher levels of spirituality and consciousness.

Is Neuroplasticity a stepping stone?
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #212033 by
FYI

http://cct.biola.edu/resources/neuroplasticity-and-spiritual-disciplines/

What are the possibilities?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212141 by

Rickie wrote: [

I think you've distilled the question.

Our minds are very skilled at self delusion. Is it true re-wiring or inherent capacity within the system?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #212907 by

Rickie wrote:

It has it's limits. The brain like a muscle has it's limits of development. An injured muscle will strive to repair itself. Neuroplasticity is a natural function that has finally been discovered and explored. Those of good enough intuition have learned to use it. I reflect on, hope/believe, it has potential to explore our brains unlimited potential.

Neuroplasticity is the natural occurring structuring of the brain. I would have to go back to my notes, but basically as the brain develops neural pathways are created in a certain way. It is based on our "habits" and based on efficiency on how we function. When we practice or continually do something, the pathways between neurons in our cells become strengthened and thicker to allow electrical impulses to move faster. Think of playing a guitar. You suck at it at first and then after a while you get better. That is because of neuroplasticity physically reconfigures your brain. This is not an instantaneous process and takes approximately 10,000 hours (according to estimates) to become a master at said practice that enhances the connection, but this doesn't take into account previous work on this and other factors I believe. Either way it takes a while to become strong.

Rickie wrote: My comment was incomplete. Is it the key to consciously unlocking our unlimited potential or just mental physical fitness? Which is a very good thing, difficult thing to do but a good thing. I muse on higher levels of spirituality and consciousness.

Click for long answer

In short, neuroplasticity is a tool that one can use to create increased potential and increase physical mental fitness, through conscious effort.

I also studied it a bit in school and read about it a lot. I also published an article about this. This is one of the books that I have read: http://www.normandoidge.com/?page_id=1259

P.S.
That is basically what my profile picture is about

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212934 by

Seumic wrote: Think of playing a guitar. You suck at it at first and then after a while you get better. That is because of neuroplasticity physically reconfigures your brain.

hey yeah, theres a thought.

so as some of you know, scott weiland, the singer for stp and velvet revolver, died last week. in memoriam, i played a whole stp concert circa 2000 or so off of youtube so my son could enjoy weiland a little. and i plugged in my electric and played along with most of the concert, some songs i had not played in literally years, some since before he was born. but as soon as i started, its like i had just played them yesterday.

muscle memory, neuroplasticity, whatever you wanna call it. it amazed both me and my son.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi