Re-wiring your brain...?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #211662 by
Re-wiring your brain...? was created by
It's your brain, can you Yoke(yoga) it into a new configuration?

The BBC "Future" magazine article on possible ability for folks to "re-wire" their brains...

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

MTFBWY
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Adder.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #211671 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Re-wiring your brain...?
Been there, done that...
https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Health-physical-fitness-and-wellbeing/111921-changing-your-mind-literally

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 4 months ago #211679 by Loudzoo
Replied by Loudzoo on topic Re-wiring your brain...?
Thanks Arkayik - interesting stuff. Have you seen this study?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/london-taxi-memory/

I believe this is the actual paper being discussed:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3268356/

Gisteron - that is a great thread but I hardly think the topic is 'done' . . . I'm sure you didn't mean it but your post comes across as rather dismissive of a topic worthy of discussion!

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #211686 by
Replied by on topic Re-wiring your brain...?
I wrote something in relations to this for Just Jedi a little while back. Nothing extensive or "Study heavy" just a quick blerp.

It's a good subject to study/research and learn about. :)

Initiate: Examine Your Habits

"You might of heard the statement “Human beings are creatures of habit.” and this is true. Habit's, are a series of behaviors and actions that gets repeated over and over again and they develop based on our life experiences, the things we are exposed to, those small and big influences that determines how you, as an individual, act in your every day normal lives.

As a child you develop a habit of routine, influenced and set upon you by your parents. These routines are meant to give you a healthy start on life (And to give your parents a bit of sanity along the way ;) )

At first, these behaviors of routine can be difficult to learn and adapt to. Like waking up at 6am in the morning every day to get your kid off to school, or you off to work.But once you develop a habit from repeated practice, your conscious mind hands the duty of remembrance, willpower and training over to your subconscious mind and it slowly becomes a natural reaction, so ingrained that it just becomes a natural behavior. It may even feel as if you have no control over these habits, or is a thing you cannot live without. Smoking...for example.

No matter how automatic these habits have become in your life, they all started with a Conscious Mind. A time when you decided to take part in the action and repeat the process until it was handed off onto the Subconscious Mind.

Habits can be good and wholesome to your lifestyle, like developing a habit to exercise and eat healthy.Meditation Routines, or even that little hobby you enjoy that lifts your spirit such as writing, collections, art, gardening, or hiking the trails. Or they can be bad, bringing stress, pain and poor health into your lifestyle.

Just like any habit learned, however.You can consciously chose to replace the habit with a new one, or let it fade from lack of use. For, just like with anything in life...if left alone and forgotten, it will fade from memory. But you must first make a conscious decision to act upon it, and repeat the process until it nestles safely into your subconscious mind.

As Jedi, we train and learn self discipline In order to create healthy habits that will benefit our minds, bodies and spirit as well as set the foundations that will allow us in helping others do the same.

More
8 years 4 months ago #211774 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Re-wiring your brain...?

Kitsu Tails wrote: I wrote something in relations to this for Just Jedi a little while back. Nothing extensive or "Study heavy" just a quick blerp.

It's a good subject to study/research and learn about. :)

Initiate: Examine Your Habits

"You might of heard the statement “Human beings are creatures of habit.” and this is true. Habit's, are a series of behaviors and actions that gets repeated over and over again and they develop based on our life experiences, the things we are exposed to, those small and big influences that determines how you, as an individual, act in your every day normal lives.

As a child you develop a habit of routine, influenced and set upon you by your parents. These routines are meant to give you a healthy start on life (And to give your parents a bit of sanity along the way ;) )

At first, these behaviors of routine can be difficult to learn and adapt to. Like waking up at 6am in the morning every day to get your kid off to school, or you off to work.But once you develop a habit from repeated practice, your conscious mind hands the duty of remembrance, willpower and training over to your subconscious mind and it slowly becomes a natural reaction, so ingrained that it just becomes a natural behavior. It may even feel as if you have no control over these habits, or is a thing you cannot live without. Smoking...for example.

No matter how automatic these habits have become in your life, they all started with a Conscious Mind. A time when you decided to take part in the action and repeat the process until it was handed off onto the Subconscious Mind.

Habits can be good and wholesome to your lifestyle, like developing a habit to exercise and eat healthy.Meditation Routines, or even that little hobby you enjoy that lifts your spirit such as writing, collections, art, gardening, or hiking the trails. Or they can be bad, bringing stress, pain and poor health into your lifestyle.

Just like any habit learned, however.You can consciously chose to replace the habit with a new one, or let it fade from lack of use. For, just like with anything in life...if left alone and forgotten, it will fade from memory. But you must first make a conscious decision to act upon it, and repeat the process until it nestles safely into your subconscious mind.

As Jedi, we train and learn self discipline In order to create healthy habits that will benefit our minds, bodies and spirit as well as set the foundations that will allow us in helping others do the same.

thats a really good lesson and one worth repeating, thank you for writing it and thank you for sharing it

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #211781 by
*Bows*

Thank you :) I find it similar to the OP topic in that our mind creates a series of Nuro Networks based on the behavior of Habbit. Which is why we can change our network....so long as we consciously create a habbit for our subconscious mind to master :) Its all quite fascinating ^_^ (Even if I get lost in the sciencey verbiage part :-p )

More
8 years 4 months ago #211782 by Carlos.Martinez3
I re write my human condition on a daily if not hourly basis so it is possible.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #211787 by

Arkayik wrote: It's your brain, can you Yoke(yoga) it into a new configuration?

The BBC "Future" magazine article on possible ability for folks to "re-wire" their brains...

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

MTFBWY

Fascinating, Arkayik, and hopeful. I find myself rooting for Deborah (the woman profiled in the first part of the article), who magnificently overcame a very burdensome situation. I hope these discoveries will benefit many more people.

One of the articles linked to the page you shared provided an equally optimistic description of how learning one or more foreign languages has been found to significantly deter the mental decline so many face as they age. Reading this stuff has provided me with a great deal of cheer. :-)
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by . Reason: I'd forgotten to check the box to be notified of replies to this topic.

More
8 years 4 months ago #211788 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re-wiring your brain...?
Perhaps supplement Lecithin!? Even if for the placebo boost :silly:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #211793 by

Gisteron wrote: Been there, done that...
https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Health-physical-fitness-and-wellbeing/111921-changing-your-mind-literally

I posted a few videos in that thread that relate to this topic. They're good ones, too.
Thanks for starting this back up again. I'm really interested to see what other have to say and share about it. :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi

Notice: SessionHandler::gc(): ps_files_cleanup_dir: opendir(/var/lib/php/sessions) failed: Permission denied (13) in /var/www/html/libraries/vendor/joomla/session/src/Storage/NativeStorage.php on line 135