How Do You Save the World?

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #189981 by OB1Shinobi
the way you protect yourself from being carried away by ideology and masked dictator ploys is by defining your core principles and constantly applying them to your day to day experience

for instance a person who makes a deliberate commitment to being truthful and unselfish will recognize eventually that their actions are going too far

even if it has to be pointed out to them by those who see it happening, which they would because the person is being truthful about what theyre doing and is unselfish enough to hear others points of view fairly

add the values of courage and responsibility, accountability, and long term comitment to high output/effort (willing to work hard) and the result is what you would call a person of character

such people do not get carried away for long
as a general rule
and are always at the core of movements and organizations which make great differences in functional ways

in other words; jedi

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #189984 by OB1Shinobi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVSEmwY2u0I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvhnGeXiuq0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLwwLrn2ncI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBBoCoJfDXM

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
8 years 11 months ago #189992 by OB1Shinobi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCmTJkZy0rM

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, Loudzoo

More
8 years 11 months ago #190015 by Carlos.Martinez3
Ob1 so sorry for the delay, to change ones self is as simple as seeing what you want to be like... and acting accordingly. to easy, it's our programming at times that gets in the way. Case in point, u wanna learn to speak a language... learn it. you want to know on certain subjects, learn em. Educating your self has never been illegal and now that we have the Internet, holy-moley... we can learn...everything. free, kinda lol. If u like pm me any time

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #190041 by
Replied by on topic How Do You Save the World?
Ok, I hear you, but lets cut straight to the chase. I think we would agree that there is no such thing as “saving the world.” I am now of the belief that it’s not the world that needs saving, but it’s each of us that must focus on saving ourselves first. Saving ourselves happens when we take the time to become the most aware versions of ourselves, so that we are able to live a purposeful life.

It is when we make conscious decisions and create things and experiences that leave a legacy and positively impacts others. When you get clear on who you are and heed your inner calling of how to serve others, you ultimately achieve your greater goal of “saving the world.”

The human race has a problem in its relationship with the environment. That problem is an intrinsic consequence of running a technological civilisation on the surface of a planet and it's one we were destined to face since long before perceiving it. Now that we do perceive it, and everybody's talking about it, we should start being more realistic about the historical context of those discussions.

All life forms exploit their surroundings to get what they need to survive. Daisies need sunlight, squirrels need acorns, whales need krill. We humans, however, have always been rather more ambitious about what constitutes our needs and, for 100,000 years, those ambitions and their side effects have been inexorably increasing.

HUMANS are not the centre of life. Nor is any other single species. Life has existed at the planetary level for at least 3,000 million years. To me, the human move to take responsibility for the living Earth is laughable. The planet takes care of us, not the other way around.

Our self-inflated moral imperative to guide a wayward Earth, or heal our sick planet, is evidence of our immense capacity for self delusion. Rather, we need to protect ourselves from ourselves.

We are at the point of a very big crisis indeed in global biodiversity. Over 40 per cent of the land mass of the earth is now devoted to human agriculture. The cities are eating up the open spaces with their garbage and concrete. The forests are being taken over by agriculture. There is simply no way that this can be allowed to double in the next generation, which is the rate at which we are going.

Over 70% of our Earth's surface is covered by water. Although water is seemingly abundant, the real issue is the amount of fresh water available. 97.5% of all water on Earth is salt water, leaving only 2.5% as fresh water Nearly 70% of that fresh water is frozen in the icecaps of Antarctica and Greenland; most of the remainder is present as soil moisture, or lies in deep underground aquifers as groundwater not accessible to human use. Only ~1% of the world's fresh water is accessible for direct human uses. This is the water found in lakes, rivers, reservoirs and those underground sources that are shallow enough to be tapped at an affordable cost. California has been in a state of emergency since 2003 because of lack of water every year since then has been the worst drought than in 50 years. California has been using water from aquifers that are reserved for our children for the year 2050 and has shoved the water shortage problem onto the later generations.

The truth is Gaia will recover from humans, but will humans be around to see that happen. Can we 'change ourselves' before its too late? How do we change ourselves?

Either we change ourselves, change each other or change are lifestyles. We could live less technological dependant lives or engineer solutions to make the best out of our technological innovations. Technology should improve ones life and its our personal choices when using technology that make technology a negative impact.

Technology can have positive impacts, and we should learn how to be effective consumerists. Such as we can buy organic, fair trade hot chocolate or spend more money on quality products like shoes, clothing, and food. Because the apparel and food industry that sell cheap clothing or food usually do so buy creating sweat shops. Make your products last longer! Make do or mend! And in other circumstances like using solar power in your home or making good decisions on what you buy.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190045 by
A few more thoughts:

Firstly we didn't choose to be here. The long chain of technological innovations that brought us to this point was not premeditated. No one sat down and planned the invention of agriculture or the Industrial Revolution.

However, now we're here there can be no turning back. We don't have the option of returning to our pre-agricultural days of hunting, gathering and living off nature's rhythms. Population densities far exceed levels that can be nourished through such practices.

Hunter-gatherer peoples live at average population densities of less than one person per square kilometre. Population densities in the heavily populated regions of the world are now well over 100 people per square kilometre something our natural environment cannot sustain without globalisation.

With this is mind, some have suggested the Earth has more humans than she can sustain and that a population crash is both inevitable and necessary. As one with an optimistic view of the problem-solving for humankind, I think we can come up with a more creative way forward than that... It would be a failure for people to die, because i am of the view we should try to win the game. And part of it, is that it is better to live than to die.

In essence we've naively constructed a civilisation that is not environmentally sustainable. Now we have to re-craft it into one that is.

My question is what type of technology could help save the world. For most of us saving ourselves will be making correct decisions on what/when to buy technology and our meaningful purposes and goals in life. However for business and entrepreneurs consumerism is even more important and what they choose to spend their money on.

For example: I bought myself a pottery wheel and now can go into my back garden and dig up clay and make my own pots and cups and make statues. I am investing in solar power and aquaponics equipment. I already grow a large amount of vegetables in the garden. My home is extremely energy efficient and give a small amount of money to charity. However this is all I possibly can do and would like advice on how else to improve.

How do you save the world?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190047 by
a well meaning place to start...perhaps

https://www.crowdrise.com/

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190048 by
I have to ask myself, is my view of the world the correct view for me to change the world to?

I don't know.

I have to ask myself, is my view of the world the correct view for me to change my part of the world?

I don't know.

I have to ask myself, is what I do in my part of the world a postive example for others to positivly change their part of their world?

I hope so.

I hope when our views of the world overlap we are compatable. I think/feel that could change the world.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #190053 by
Those are my views on why we should save the world:

A Conclusion:

Even once we've re-crafted our civilisation to work in harmony with Earth's ecosphere, we will stand only at the threshold of yet further challenges. For this is a world on which solar cycles, ice ages and moving coastlines are an implicit part of life. CO2-induced climate change is not our only great collective environmental challenge - it's the first in a long line of complicated learning experiences.

Would like to hear your views Rickie. I am off to the Cinema to Watch Age of Ultron: Avengers assemble
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190075 by

Would like to hear your views Rickie

I thought I did?

It's all about balance and harmony with nature. I believe and feel that is how we perserve and save the world but can I be certain I'm correct. I don't know... but have hope. There have been civilizations that simple disappeared in the past. Is history repeating itself? Is this a cycle we have no control over? I don't know.

On global warming. It appears humans are the cause and I agree. As responsible humans we need to do the bast we can to stop those things we know cause global warming. On the flip side, economics make it expensive or incovient. Which I think is poor irresponsible judgment. Finally humans tend to do the easy thing until a disaster strikes and then we are all over fixing things. We usually do.

How Do "I" Save the World. I vote people out of office if I can. I'm not silent on critical issue. I live a modest life style, minimizing my consumption of resources. Walk, garden, bike ride, grow fruit and veggies in my back yard. Drive no more than I have to, turn off lights, lower the thermostat etc.

Lots of small things and I hope I'm a good, though flawed, example to others.

I know I don't know a lot of stuff but do know change is for certain.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi