How Do You Save the World?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #189912 by
Hello everyone,

Humans can be like a disease, cancer or virus to our ecosystem, polluting the environment with waste, deforestation or hunting animals for sport. Most agree we have 100 hundred years to change how we use energy from unsustainable organic fuels to sustainable green clean energy.

Yet their is hope, look at how far we have come from 1915 when we had very little mechanical technology and life was hard and labour was sheer man power and travel was by horse and carriage. So in just 100 hundred years society has solved so many problems and our ancestors have achieved creating a life of convenience and a simple and much less laborious life. I believe this progress since 1900's is evidence for humans ability to work and resolve problems.

Such as look at the new technologies that can help us transition away from fossil fuels. Scientists can fuel a hydrogen car from water! A sports car that runs on SALTWATER! Or a car that runs on AIR!

There are so many problems in our societies, such as economic factors, the increasing demand of raw materials, manufactured goods, and services. But we have access to massive amounts of information, something we humans could never imagine only seventy years ago, when computers were barely imaginable.

I imagine in the future more people will have simple solutions like Aquaponics in their basement, something I am looking into. You can grow food plants and fish and produce a large amount of vegetables and fish very easily, with little work and not much space is needed.

Does anyone know of other technologies that could save the world?

Here are good speculative sites that deals with potential technologies in a futurist view point: Future Timeline.net And also 3D Food Printing Here is a link on sustainable cities Worlds First Sustainable City

L & L
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #189917 by OB1Shinobi
honest, brave, unselfish

People are complicated.

More
8 years 11 months ago #189919 by Carlos.Martinez3
I once met a man who asked the same question...
My answer was simple, I took a match from the box and lit it. My answer was this, by changing.... me.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #189924 by
Replied by on topic How Do You Save the World?
I don't try to save the world. Assuming that I can is either a gross over estimation of my abilities or a gross under estimation of the world's problems. :laugh: Plus, there's so much that I personally just can not do. I'm only one man (though my strength is that of 10 B) ). What I can change is, as Carlos said, myself. If I do that then maybe it will makes someone else's life better too. Maybe someone else will see my change and want to change themselves for the better, and then someone could see them, and so on and so forth.

More
8 years 11 months ago #189926 by OB1Shinobi
how does one change oneself?

into what does one change oneself?

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #189928 by
Yeah I agree,

If I stopped smoking I could spend £200 on charities per month to feed starving babies and children. But because I am flawed and stuck in my vices I instead poison myself with chemicals rather than saving lives. Or I eat healthy foods in small quantities I would be slimmer healthier and have £500 per month to spend on families hit by famine and war. Something like such a small change could improve my life of excess and get me fitter, happier and healthier and provide options for the extreme poverty in other countries.

Such a small change... Such a massive difference it would make...

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #189932 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic How Do You Save the World?
I believe the problem is that people approach it on a grand scale, and usually throw their hands up realizing the epic amount of the work involved. Instead people should think small, and work from there. The problem with this approach is that it requires constant effort, and sadly few individuals are sincerely interested in putting forth the effort.

I see so many people sharing this or that on Facebook, in attempts to make change or help "save" something. Their motives are usually out of ego. You cannot save the world with the click of a button, change usually requires a little more from us.

Start small, it can be picking up trash where you find it, recycle at home, volunteer time into the community and/or animal shelters. Invest time on changing the self, and then the immediate area around you...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, , OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #189934 by OB1Shinobi
what makes you think that if you didnt spend the money on smoking that instead of just spending it on something else equally unproductive (in terms of "saving the world") that you would give it to charity?

isnt it more likely to assume youd just buy more booze or girlie magazines or something?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #189943 by

Zenchi wrote: People should think small, and work from there.

You cannot save the world with the click of a button, change usually requires a little more from us.

hmm yes small solutions are possible but big things have small beginnings. You can save the world by clicking buttons, writing stories, raising awareness or using Free Rice United Nations World Food Program. a clever site that donates a small portion of food for every button you click.

OB1Shinobi wrote: what makes you think that if you didnt spend the money on smoking that instead of just spending it on something else equally unproductive (in terms of "saving the world") that you would give it to charity?

isnt it more likely to assume youd just buy more booze or girlie magazines or something?

Yes I would buy booze, but I am also frugal meaning that I get the best value for money and only spend £2 on wine bottles that would cost £11 in other shops. However I don't drink more than one bottle per week. Yes I would donate to Charity because I also have another surplus supply of money and basically I am referring to the wastefulness of £700 which is basically wasted money. I would much rather it go to charity than use it to kill myself. And had donated that much in the past :)

EDIT: The Temple of The Jedi Order could help all its members to do some charity work I am sure there are enough skilled people on here with time to spend responding to posts we could use that time to be productive and contemplate how WE can save the world together.

L &L

More
8 years 11 months ago #189949 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic How Do You Save the World?
Well the Temple here seems more to be a staging ground for thought and connection, rather than an entity directed at specific functions of change. I have yet to see a TOTJO race for HIV or cancer, for instance. :lol: But I also feel that simply by being here TOTJO is presenting us with the ability to initiate the sort of change we want to see. Which is what I would ask:

What sort of change do you want to see? In yourself and in the world?

I also think that while starting small is indeed the best way to get the ball rolling, so to speak, it doesn't have to remain small. I was just talking with a friend yesterday who's very meditative, very focused on trying to live within his moment-to-moment existence (I blame some of his views on overuse of psychedelics, lol). The problem as I see it though is that his vision of change was, well, non-existent. He doesn't want to see change because, in his words, he doesn't believe that we can change anything - or even that we should try. I'd say that change is something we can accomplish, not just within some unknowable future, but within the span of a single human life.

Not that I'm saying anyone has to try to change anything, or that there isn't enormous good to be found in focusing on daily changes for the better, but merely that I'm suggesting that change on a global change is possible - especially if large groups of people sharing the same desire to change the world get together and focus their lives into it.

In order to start figuring out this path though, I think it's important to figure out why we want to change the world - or even why we want to change ourselves. I don't believe that striving toward something is bad - in-fact I think it's great. But I always like to ask myself "why".

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi