The State of the World

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #179863 by
The State of the World was created by
I do not want people to think like me. I just want people to think. I want people to escape the prison of lies and deceit this world programmes them to believe. I want people to be their own person. I want people to think their own thoughts. I want people to believe in a better world.
In these times of dawning oppression, thinking against the established authority becomes a revolutionary act - regardless of right and wrong.
When I look at the state the world is in, I realize it simply cannot go on like this. The thought that fascists are creeping into power in the form of UKIP, or the thought of the modern day KK & Black Supremacists still existing, the thought of a world fueled with a desire of money, a world filled with power hungry politicians immune from prosecution, a world filled with control and a focus on consumerism.
It makes one wonder where this is all heading. Global warming... Wars... Corrupted minds over money, power and wealth... People too scared or too blinded to realize the reality of what is going on...
Pedophiles in the ranks of the UK Government... ISIS executing gay people... Mass slaughters of Christians and Muslims in African countries, genocides...
Need I go on?

Sooner or later, this world will crack. It is already buckling under the pressures of our civilizations.
The worst part being, nobody can do anything about it because not everybody cares. Not everybody wants to fix these problems. People are content hiding away from the truths of the world, going about their business hoping it will resolve itself.
It won't.
People are content to live a life of consumerism to the point that we are forced to live in societies some may not wish to be a part of.

Someone once told me that,
"Corruption is how you can sleep in your bed at night."
"Corruption is how you can live with the freedoms you have."
"Corruption is how we win."

And I simply say no.

Thoughts?

Edit: Just read it back to myself. No offence was intended. : :dry:
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #179866 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic The State of the World
It is a troublesome world indeed and we are all morally obliged to contribute as much as we can allow ourselves for its betterment.

That being said, all things considered, life as we know it today is more peaceful and prosperous overall than it ever has been before. There are still lots of problems unsolved and many new ones creeping up as some of the old ones are resolved, but the world isn't heading down by any means. Wars and diseases and corruption have been always prevalent and defining much of the human condition but they have never before been exposed and fought as successfully as they can be and are today. This world is not heading to its doom, quite the opposite. If anything, it should have cracked centuries ago and it bloody well could have just a few decades ago. And yet here we are, and there is no way back to those days anymore and that is good.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Amaya, , Loudzoo

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #179868 by
Replied by on topic The State of the World

Gisteron wrote: Wars and diseases and corruption have been always prevalent and defining much of the human condition but they have never before been exposed and fought as successfully as they can be and are today. This world is not heading to its doom, quite the opposite. If anything, it should have cracked centuries ago and it bloody well could have just a few decades ago. And yet here we are, and there is no way back to those days anymore and that is good.

Centuries ago, the world did not exist to the extent it does now. They did not have weapons capable of the scale of destruction we can unleash today.
The world only has so many resources. If you look back at history, as soon as the balance of nature is tipped - nature finds a way to fix it. The Spanish Flu, The Black Plague, the Ice Ages.
Also, animals were never meant to be farmed and captivated to the extent that they are now. We were never meant to grow to the population size we have now. Millions die from starvation, yet millions more throw food away.
Not to mention the state of the political systems in some countries that are supposed to be "democracy" emulating Bureacracy. Then we have other countries in which you get killed for being gay or having a different religious belief.

I understand your view, I do.
But this world can only take so much. Mankind has never ( as far as our knowledge goes ) grown to this scale before.

Don't get me wrong, it is not all doom and gloom in the world but as far as civilization is heading - I hold the opinion it needs to change. What we are doing today will not be sustainable in 100 years.

More
9 years 2 months ago #179873 by Gisteron
If we had the kind of weapons we do today in, say, the fourteenth century, mankind would probably be no more. But now we do have them and yet we are here and doing just fine. I'd argue we've grown.
We have been reckless with our resources until we understood the full extent of the damage that does to ourselves and our fellow creatures. Now we're trying to be wiser with them and we are successful at that.
As for diseases, I would not say that they are a solution or a cure. Yes, parasites and plagues are a limiting factor to population growth but so what? I'd rather live in a world where that is not a concern; where I can read literature and hear music and do art and study science; where I can have a debate whether a child is a person at conception or at birth and not need to wait for it to grow a few months before being sure it will even survive after its mother died in childbirth because she had it in a dirty shack with shady witchdoctors if she was lucky.

As for cultivation of food, why exactly not? How do you know what things were "meant" to be like and what is your objection to changing them for what is beneficial to us so long as we do not do it to the planet's and consequently our own detriment? Granted, we haven't been good at it, but we are getting ever so much better all the time. Should we instead get back to the days when all of us were starving and coughing up blood for a hobby because of some nasty curse?

People used to be tortured and killed for being left-handed or having the wrong hair colour. Now the places where it happens are ever fewer and we know about it and we fight it - not as much as we could, I grant you - I'd still maintain that we're doing better than back when the entire planet was bigoted, sick, wicked and miserable and didn't know it nor how to combat it. I'm not saying the world is perfect. But we are the luckiest generation yet and the next one will be luckier still. That is not to say there is nothing to worry about and nothing still to fight for a change in. I'm only saying the world is becoming a better place, not a worse. Let's not be quite satisfied with where we are. Just let us go further down that road, not back up again.

The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Rosalyn J, Kit, , Loudzoo

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #179886 by

Gisteron wrote: As for cultivation of food, why exactly not? How do you know what things were "meant" to be like and what is your objection to changing them for what is beneficial to us so long as we do not do it to the planet's and consequently our own detriment? Granted, we haven't been good at it, but we are getting ever so much better all the time. Should we instead get back to the days when all of us were starving and coughing up blood for a hobby because of some nasty curse?

Why not? It is not natural. It is not balanced with the nature of this world.

The native Indian tribes of America and the tribes that exist today in Amazonia are examples of the balance I mean. It is not natural to say - genetically engineer animals for our own gain - yes, we have to eat but cultivation on such a massive scale is not natural at all.
What gives us a special right to ( essentially ) cultivate a whole species for food? Because we have an advanced form of sentience?
The Indians learned to live with the land, not live off the land or cultivate a whole species into nothing but a source of food to the point that they are captivated entirely. When I say cultivation, I am referring to mass scale farming or, industrial sized farming. There is nothing wrong with keeping animals on a personal scale but generally - it should not have been scaled up to the size that it is now. It tips the balance of nature slightly. The problem starts to arise when nature is forgotten about, in the case of genetically engineered food sources such as crops and cattle.
The way of the world is to kill and eat to live. It is rather shocking that in today's society, there are some people that are happy to eat meat yet would not kill the animal to eat it.

What this finally boils down to for me is the lack of respect for the animal and its sacrifice ( in a way ). It is not "bad" to kill and eat an animal, for it is the natural course of life. The way of the world is to kill and eat to live but the way it is performed in certain areas of the world goes against nature. There are people would say thanks for food and respect where it has come from and are prepared to do such things to eat in the first place but the sad truth is, most people will not ( in my own experience ).
I just don't quite agree with mass scale farming where hundreds of cattle are confined to fields, to only be slaughtered for the mass production of food. Some of which is just thrown away.

You views are eye-opening and enlightening. It gives me food for thought, which was the initial reason I started this thread. I wanted people to give their thoughts, and for that I thank you :)
We may be slightly arguing in a sense but a good discussion is not without disagreements. :whistle:

What I am trying to get at is that right now, I know the world is not perfect ( it never will be ) but this style of living is also not balanced with the nature of the world. It is a shame really. Finding a balance is what is needed, I feel. :(

Yes, the world has progressed from our own history on a grander scale but too much of a good thing is bad, as they say. There isn't really a place that you can go and just live life your way without some form of rule or authority trying to control you. Yes a certain control is needed against criminals but it is getting a wee bit out of hand. So out of hand that in some countries, speaking out against an authority is an act of treason. Or simply owning tools to defend yourself is illegal.
:unsure:

I do thank you for your input though :D A little optimism is nice to see in the world. This post might make me seem like a pessimistic "doom and gloom" anarchist when really, I'm not :lol:

More
9 years 2 months ago #179894 by Gisteron
Okay, two questions:

First, how do you know what constitutes "natural" and "unnatural" respectively? Are we not of nature and thus all we do is natural in that sense? Alternatively, what if this way of life is within "our" nature, if you will? How could you tell if it wasn't? By some native tribes that don't live it? Take any one country with specific traditions. It could be said that they live unlike the rest of us. Are they unnatural for having their traditions or are we for not having them or having others of our own?

Second, what's wrong with the latter or preferable about the former? Let's say there is a subset of our species who do live the natural way, whatever that means. What makes their way of life better or preferable? What makes ours inferior? The fact that we don't live in the woods and grow crops and chicken rather than hunt and gather? They are different, but which is better and why? What are the reasons we choose the former over the latter? And what are the reasons we should choose differently?

The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #179900 by
To answer your first:
When I speak of 'natural' I am referring to a state of being that would exist without human interaction. Now - of course - this cannot occur due to us being a part of nature but it helps construct an image of what I mean. Nature ( for me ) is the natural world and its ecosystems. Take any wildlife documentary that follows the path of a certain species. The film crew and staffing of the documentary cannot interact with the way events occur and unfold, despite any emotional ties they have to the animal. This is to simulate what would happen naturally in the wild. If you can see my angle on this?
Humans do fit into this, just not in the way we have developed to interact with this natural order ( so to speak ). We do not have a right to enslave or cultivate a whole other species merely for our own benefit. Why? Simply because naturally this development goes against the order of nature. I keep on referring back to my examples but it is the best way for me to express what I mean in terms that makes me understandable ( because I can ramble :lol: ).
Take the Indian Tribes as an example. They lived alongside animals and hunted them for food when needed. That is the main difference. They hunted the animals for food, just as animals naturally hunt one another for food. They did not capture and cultivate the buffalo on mass, to cater them and finally slaughter them - robbing them of their natural freedom in the wild.
In terms of traditions, not one tradition is of more value than another when I say these next lines but it will depend on a frame of reference. To the Indians, the white man's way of cultivating was near sacrilege but to the white man, the Indian's way of cultivating was primal. It is not for me, you or anyone to decide what one is of more value, rather, to decide what one alines with your own personal beliefs. For me, living with the animals rather than cultivating them in the way modern society does is 'natural'. For you, it may not be. ( although, one could argue I am hypocritical around this due to living in a modern society but, this is something I have no choice over at this point in time. )

To answer your second:
This refers back to my point of the frame of reference and personal preference. I can say that one method is 'more natural' than another, just as you can argue against me in favor for another method. It is down to opinion and how an individual perceives the world. As for which way is better, that is simply an argument of opinion that nobody can win because nobody is right nor wrong. Rather, in my view, the Indian method of living ( so to speak ) is better - whereas you may view our modern methods as being better. In all depends on the perception of the individual.
Nobody can truly tell you what is right or wrong, better or worse, rather, one can suggest their thoughts on better or worse, right or wrong. Each individual has to make up their own mind. My reasons for my opinion of this could completely contradict your own, and therefore, are wrong and inferior in your eyes but right and superior in my eyes.

Hope this kinda makes sense of what I mean? :S

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #179902 by
To speak of 'nature' is to include ALL of it. It is incredibly egotistical of any human being or all of us combined to think that we are somehow above nature or separated from it. The state of the world in human terms is really of little significance to 'nature'. It is significant to us as inhabitants of the planet because we really want to remain alive (again, the ego), but 'nature' could really care less. Ask a dinosaur. Tsunamis do not discriminate. Most diseases do not discriminate. Meteors do not discriminate either. 'Nature' will return the balance, no matter how many cows we choose to cultivate for food.

If we are to survive, it is in some part due to an incredibly lucky set of circumstances. If we squander that chance by nuking ourselves into oblivion, we will not be missed for long. The planet will shrug us off as you would shrug off a case of head lice. And this planet of ours is a mere speck of sand in a galaxy that is also a mere speck in the grander universe.

I don't mean to be all doom and gloom either, but lamenting over the state of the world will not get us anywhere. Those problems appear too daunting to one Jedi alone. Instead, I would suggest that we seek to better understand how we can improve ourselves as individuals and encourage those immediately around us to do the same. Find your own peace. If we cultivate better Jedi the way we cultivate cows, the problems will fix themselves. If we choose not too, we will all end up one with the Force all the same. That is the true 'nature' of things.

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #179905 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic The State of the World
Wow! This is a really interesting conversation. I'd like to add something to it if I may.

I agree with you S. Gaelach, there is a way to live more harmoniously within nature. You gave the example of the Native Americans which I think is spot on. But I think we have to ask ourselves: what is nature currently? When we talk about other groups that live more harmoniously with nature, we are also talking about a pre-industrial revolution way of life (most recently) or perhaps hunting and gathering (if we want to stretch it back that far). If we want to live in harmony with nature (the one that you suggest) we would have to give up modern conveniences such as the internet, central heat, running water etc. As Gistron says, we don't want to de-evolve as it were. So we have to contend with our current nature. Currently we have 7 billion people on this planet that we could support. We have starving people in our own countries, in our own cities, in our own neighborhoods perhaps. As you pointed out S.Gaelach there are people content to throw food away while others starve.

Our current "nature" is concrete buildings, paved roads, and sorry to say, cultivated food. Given the current set of circumstances, what can we do?

The grander problem of the collective misuse of resources, the collective unbalance with nature that we see may certainly not be solved by one or even a group of Jedi, but the starving person in your neighborhood, maybe they need some help. The poor and downtrodden of the city that you live in may need some support.

Yes, we have a long way to go to right the world, but there are a lot of things that we CAN do, ourselves to make our own mark and improve its state.

What do you think?

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , OB1Shinobi,

More
9 years 2 months ago #179917 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic The State of the World
i think batteries drain when they sit on concrete

i think that people care more than somegive them credit for
im a person
i care

i think it would be a great balancing exersize to spend some time looking up people who change the world
you might just be suprised at how many amazing and dedicated people there are in the world

ill give you a free bee
spaceXtesla

but theres lots and lots of others
and ill do you one better than that
youre name is on the list too

of course when i suggest this as a balancing exersize im talking about people who are recognized for making a difference on a global scale

but i would like to challenge you to make up your mind right now that you yourself are going to make a great difference in your lifetime
thats what jedi means yeah?
yeah

dont worry about it if you dont know how

just make up your mind that there is a SOLUTION MOVEMENT for every problem that u recognize

and that the reason youhavent found this movement yet is because you havent adequately prepared yourself to be useful to it
yet
so think about what skills youre going to need to save the world and find a way to learn them

and trust that if you do your best
the force will do the rest

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi