What form(s) of magic(k) do you practice?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #153508 by

RyuJin wrote: I did the ceremony on halloween which just happened to have a full moon...

That sounds excellent. :cheer:

I realize I could simply look this up, but figure asking you will yield a more interesting answer... What is hedgecraft? Is it related to shamanism and/or witchcraft?

Do you recall which version of Enochian magic you studied? The Golden Dawn interpretation of the elemental tablets is obviously the most accessible, but I also found it a bit too complicated for my poor little brain. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #153509 by RyuJin
Hedgecraft is sometimes called kitchen magic...it's a blend of ritual magic, herbology, etc...practitioners are often called kitchen witches ( due to the use of ordinary household items etc) or more traditionally hedge-riders, because spiritually they ride the boundry (or hedge) between this world and the spirit world...

Golden dawn sounds familiar....of course it's been almost 24 years since then...I do remember learning that my magickal responsibility was dragon's blood...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by RyuJin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #153549 by

RyuJin wrote: Hedgecraft is sometimes called kitchen magic...

Ah! Thanks. I thought that sounded familiar. I've heard the terms "kitchen witch" and "hedge witch" on various occasions, but wasn't aware of what those practices fully entailed. :) The way you've described it, I'm imagining sort of a mix of witchcraft, hoodoo, and shamanism. Cool.

It seems like you have a pretty sophisticated and diverse collection of techniques that you use then? Did you design/construct your own staff and wand?

More
9 years 8 months ago #153570 by steamboat28

Arcade wrote: The way you've described it, I'm imagining sort of a mix of witchcraft, hoodoo, and shamanism.

There's also a lot of orphan folklore and superstition involved in some of it, too. It's basically the "local" everyday variant of magick. It's one of those things that, in the cultures or families it's big in, seems to be as engrained as tradition in the cultures and/or families in which it's practiced. I've spoken with a few folks that see it as "normal" and a "harmless gateway" to other practices and/or faiths.

Which brings me to a curious question for this thread, if I may--those of you who have answered, do you practice a religion as well? Does it influence your practice? Is it compatible, or is your practice secular in nature?
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #153572 by Edan
I no longer practice magick, but while a Satanist I had my own kind of brand of magick; a mix of Egyptian heka, goetian (goetic?), and other things from my interaction and work with others.

do you practice a religion as well? Does it influence your practice? Is it compatible, or is your practice secular in nature?

At the time, my answer would have been yes to practising (I was theistic then), however not of one of the big organised religions obviously. It was a very big influence on my work.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #153589 by

Edan wrote: a mix of Egyptian heka, goetian (goetic?)

Yep. Goetic magic. :) I've dabbled. Egyptian magic, on the other hand, I've always found incredibly complex. Such a detailed, intricate system. I took an Egyptology class in college and the magic and religion section of the course was very fascinating, but also made me realize how challenging any form of modern application of Ancient Egyptian practices would be. I would enjoying talking with you about this sometime.

steamboat28 wrote: Do you practice a religion as well? Does it influence your practice? Is it compatible, or is your practice secular in nature?

Technically, I'm a practitioner of Haitian Vodou (a monotheistic religion), since I attend fets (celebratory services for the ancestors) a few times a year, but as of this moment I don't consider myself a Vodouisant. I try to distance myself a little by specifying that I'm a NOLA voodoo practitioner (which, in my case, is a fairly secular practice), but the local Vodou community is full of lovely people and I like that community element sometimes, so I am often pulled in that direction. :) It definitely affects and influences my practice. I have integrated into my regular practices a decent amount of techniques, rituals, and ideas that I've learned at fets.

I also practice Germanic paganism (Anglo-Saxon Heathenry), but am not connected in any way to modern reconstructionist communities. If I were to claim a religion, I would say that this feels closest to who I am. But is it a religion without a community element? I'm not sure. Still, the spiritual connection that I feel with the Germanic deities is very strong and most definitely influences my magical practices. Passionate modern Heathens might argue that magic was rarely practiced by the ancient Germanic people, but that spiritual current can still be an inspiration (and it has been for me in a big way).

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #153590 by RyuJin
The wand just sort of appeared, I was working out on my porch and heard something fall on my air conditioner pretty hard, when I went and looked it was sitting there...I was kind of reminded of yoda's walking stick and kept it...

The staff was a small tree that had been cut down and left laying in back of the complex for over a year....everytime I walked the dog my gaze was drawn to it, so eventually I picked it up and went to work...the markings include my astrological symbol, the kanji symbols for:dragon, earth, air,fire, water. There is also a leather grip I made and the feathers are from a young bald eagle that was molting and currently resides atop a flagpole 3blocks away....

Attachment hd08843c.jpg not found

It's hard to see but the head of the staff is carved into a dragons head...I have a philosophical lifestyle....as I dislike the concept religion has become....philosophy is flexible, religion is rigid....

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by RyuJin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, , Kit

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #153618 by
Wow, RyuJin! Very nice. It's not often that I find myself flowing with the kind of drive and creativity that clearly inspired your pieces, so I genuinely appreciate your work.

RyuJin wrote: I have a philosophical lifestyle....as I dislike the concept religion has become....philosophy is flexible, religion is rigid....

Understandable. There are some religions with a greater amount of flexibility, but I don't like things carved into stone either (unless we're talking about runes). :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #153633 by
I'm really glad this topic was started because it inspired me to continue my pagan studies (on a site similar to TOTJO in function and purpose but for Wiccans and other pagans). I'm not a diehard fan of the Wiccan tradition, but what I appreciate is the structure while their emphasis is in modifying the structure to suit the needs of the individual or coven. I've actually been writing my own versions of standard rituals (Open the Temple, Consecration of Tools, etc) with Jediism incorporated in as well as less emphasis on specific deities and more on the values of the Jedi and the interconnectivity life through the Force.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #153672 by

Jamie Stick wrote: I'm really glad this topic was started because it inspired me to continue my pagan studies

Excellent. :) I think we've spoken about this, but I was a proper Pagan for just over 6 years (mostly non-traditional, though the first year I was practicing Wicca). I wasn't aware of Jediism at the time, but I can totally see how you would be able to integrate what you've talked about into your Pagan beliefs and practices (and vice-versa). That's also inspiring.

It's great that you're writing your own rituals and moving in your own direction. I found the basic framework that Wicca set out for me invaluable, but once I had a solid understanding I started traveling down my own branch of the path as well. All the best to you. I hope your journey takes you interesting places and brings you much peace and joy.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi