My failure.....

More
11 years 2 months ago #96994 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Re: My failure.....

Andy Spalding wrote: We can what if any situation to death. From the way you are limiting options, you must be looking for limited answers.

Sounds to me like you're avoiding the question... The whole point of this post is to learn from what happened and prepare oneself. I happen to be one of those people who goes camping a lot and I take my wife and child and go to places where there is no electricity, no cell phone service, nobody for miles, etc. When I go into bear/lion country I bring a handgun but there are times where it's not necessary so I don't bother to take it.

I know if it were me I wouldn't leave my family alone and go off into the woods alone. I'd probably get them in the car and go find a sheriff who could then get dogs, etc.

I'm telling you all this because I've been reading lots of news reports of serial killers, missing persons, and our local law enforcement has been highly active lately (they actually caught a muderer who fled across the country a few days ago to where I live).

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #96995 by
Replied by on topic Re: My failure.....

Whyte Horse wrote:

ferreire580 wrote: I don't know why its not on the news yet. It didn't even see it in the paper. It happened in the town next to me in Whitehall/Coplay.

You need to let the police know what you heard. I found the article and they're calling it a suicide.
Jasmin Flores 13 year old

Yea suicide is what people are saying, I talked to the aunt of the girl and her sister, they said it wasn't a suicide. And I did tell them about the scream, they didn't take it too seriously for some reason.

I was also told by somebody who works for the police she..hung...herself. Which doesn't go with the official report that she was found on the trail. And doesn't explain the scream.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #96998 by
Its common to have conflicting stories. As long as you gave what report you could, you did what you needed to do.

When you give your puzzle piece to the authorities it is up to them to put the picture together.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #97015 by

Whyte Horse wrote:

Andy Spalding wrote: We can what if any situation to death. From the way you are limiting options, you must be looking for limited answers.

Sounds to me like you're avoiding the question... The whole point of this post is to learn from what happened and prepare oneself. I happen to be one of those people who goes camping a lot and I take my wife and child and go to places where there is no electricity, no cell phone service, nobody for miles, etc. When I go into bear/lion country I bring a handgun but there are times where it's not necessary so I don't bother to take it.

I know if it were me I wouldn't leave my family alone and go off into the woods alone. I'd probably get them in the car and go find a sheriff who could then get dogs, etc.

I'm telling you all this because I've been reading lots of news reports of serial killers, missing persons, and our local law enforcement has been highly active lately (they actually caught a muderer who fled across the country a few days ago to where I live).

I humbley suggest we let any what ifs post mortum discussions be defered until the shock and emotion on the post subsides for a while out of respect for the people closest to the situation have a chance to cope to the flood or emotions they may be having.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #97016 by

Sounds to me like you're avoiding the question...

I don't need to fantasize. I am an EMT, Military Police officer and Captain of a Search and Rescue team.

These situations are well known to me, what if's serve very little purpose than to reinforce guilt, blame and spur "well if it had been me" statements.

*EDIT: But if meditating on such events make you feel more prepared, I am not going to try to talk you out of it.

More
11 years 2 months ago #97018 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Re: My failure.....
I have been watching this thread… and I am sensitive to the fact that their may be emotional distress that some may be experiencing.

I suppose many would claim I was crazy…

I take my daughter (13 years old) and my goddaughter (soon to be four) camping. I do not carry fire arms or any significant weapon so to speak. My daughter, however, does like to take her fire arm.

I will tell you that if I heard something that aroused suspicion I would investigate. Yes, I would tell my daughter where and why I was going and I’m certain that she would do what was necessary to insure her and my goddaughter’s safety.

In the symphony that is life; I may not have a great role to play; but, it is mine to play. I trust that I will be led to the right decision when the time comes and I hope I have the courage to act.

Monastic Order of Knights

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 2 months ago #97019 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: My failure.....
I think what Andy is saying is if you prepare for specific events, those are all you will be ready for...

Don't limit your training...

Rather than concentrate on what could have been done in this situation, find training for "all" situations...

Most people do not act, they freeze up, afraid to react for fear of making a bad situation worse....

You roll up on a car flipped over, driver is in there barely breathing upside down, unconscious....

WHat do you do? Cut the seat belt and drag them out, or leave it for better trained individuals?

Situations will vary, busy road, fire possibilities, pileup possibility ...

WHo knows?

The point is be ready to act in a manner you feel is a betterment to the situation...

Still breathing, but shallow, no fire danger leave them alone I think....

Breathing stops? Pull them out and begin CPR if trained...

What, your not trained? Get trained!

CPR and first aid are two of the most basic things I think a person can do....

The situational combinations are too numerous to cover...

Andy, isn't there a acronym for coming up on a emergency?

I thought there was, maybe not.....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #97020 by
I can't think if there is an acronym for it. But there should be.

You pretty much got to the gist of what I was getting at. There are an infinite number of "what if's" because there is an infinite number of things outside of your control. What you do have control of is yourself and your response.

Spend your time training for emergencies, not trying to Imagine what can go wrong or right. Train yourself, you are the most useful tool you have.

What if I had a gun... what if i had my family... what if i was alone... what if what if what if what if.... ultimately it is just speculation.

You will never have what you think you need when something happens, work with what you have.

Knowledge weighs nothing.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 2 months ago #97023 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: My failure.....

“Andy the Awesomely Dressed" wrote: Knowledge weighs nothing.

Dude! Those books ain't light!!

Lol...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi