My failure.....

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #96885 by
My failure..... was created by
Today is not a good day. Last night I was with friends in the woods making a fire and generally having a good time. We heard somebody scream, but thought nothing of it. Then this morning I found out a terrible thing. Thirteen year old Jasmine Cruz was killed in the woods that night. Her body was found a couple hundred feet from where my friends and I were having a good time. Then I realized that the scream we heard was Jasmine calling for help. My heart is torn for the loss of life, and my failure as a person and a Jedi to help someone who needed somebody to save them. There are no words to express my sorrow. I just ask everyone who reads this to keep this girl in their hearts to remind them who we are as Jedi and what we stand for: to protect all who need protection. Hopefully my failure wont be yours.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #96888 by
Replied by on topic Re: My failure.....
The failure is not your own. When something is out of place, removed from its context in your mind, it is usually ignored. That is the way we are wired. Human beings are not made to be constantly vigilant. Failures and blame in the case of a random out of place event are not necessary. Greve for the girl, but do not blame yourself for a crime committed by another.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 2 months ago #96889 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: My failure.....
I'll second Andy on this...

There is no way you are to blame, so there is no 'failure' on your part...

Had you realized things were amiss, I am sure you would have done your best to get help, provided you were unable to do it yourself....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #96890 by
Less than a month ago, I was walking home from Gamestop when I saw a man arguing with a woman. They were marching through the streets and through traffic, and the situation got really scary - for both the woman's safety, as well as the safety of those in the area (including myself!)

Eventually, the man began to beat the woman down to the ground, and I was absolutely shocked.

Now you could argue that I could jump in there and help the woman against her abuser. But think about this from a distant, impartial view. How would I be of any physical help to the woman? The man would probably harm me too, and what good would come out of me stepping in? A lot of bad, I can imagine.

Now, how could you have gotten involved and done something to help the woman? Believe me, if the man wanted to kil the woman enough, he would do it and accept any consequences. He'd probably try to harm or kill you for getting in his way. And what would happen if you were harmed? How would the Temple feel?

Andy Spalding wrote: The failure is not your own. When something is out of place, removed from its context in your mind, it is usually ignored. That is the way we are wired. Human beings are not made to be constantly vigilant. Failures and blame in the case of a random out of place event are not necessary. Greve for the girl, but do not blame yourself for a crime committed by another.

That, and also, we are not responsible for vigilante justice. Real Jedi aren't batmen or wonder women. We're law abiding citizens who strive for morality and justice, and many other things of course. What justice could you or I have brought by trying to fight?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #96894 by
for me, when I fight people like that

it isn't about the fight

it's about defending and protecting the people he is abusing.

but going from how I have handled that

do this, when he stops or something, just help the woman, take her to hospital

don't involve yourself with the attacker unless it's absolutely neccassary

I would only step in to protect them, so they should be the priority

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #96896 by
I have also been in a situation where I could have helped somebody, when I didn't

but don't blame yourself, I will keep Jasmine in my prayers and you as well.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #96897 by
I am not going to get on people about what they may or may not have done. I will Just leave a couple of quotes I find helpful.

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

I am not endorsing vigilantism, just do SOMETHING. Even if it being a good witness or being present so they know their actions do not go unnoticed.

“You can’t win, but there are alternatives to fighting.” ―Obi-Wan Kenobi, Star Wars IV: A New Hope

A phone call, a video, a report and a description. So many things go unchallenged because people don't want to "intrude"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #96898 by
This is actually some thing I've been looking into. My very good friend Wescli pointed out that this world doesn't "NEED" Jedi. Well in a way he's right...you dont need anything. You dont NEED air until its gone. You dont NEED water until its gone....so what happens when humans that are willing to learn how to help and protect(Jedi) are gone? What would that look like? Hmm.... :dry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSsPfbup0ac&list=PLAC5BDC262E18B063

SO this is not your fault. Its just the way humans are. Jedi should train them selves to do better. To get involved if it calls for it. Some times things have a way of working them selves out. However training is not enough. In the great words of Ra's Al Ghul- "Your training is nothing your will is everything....the will to act".

I'm sorry to hear what happened to you but you still have breath in your lungs. You can still do good. You missed a chance to do something but its not a failure. understand that please.

The Force Will Be With You.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #96900 by
I forgot to mention...

This situation reminds me of this scene:

Obi-Wan: There's nothing you could have done, Luke, had you been there. You'd have been killed, too, and the droids would now be in the hands of the empire.
Luke: I want to come with you to alderaan. There's nothing for me here now. I want to learn the ways of the force and become a jedi like my father.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #96901 by

ferreire580 wrote: Thirteen year old Jasmine Cruz was killed in the woods that night.

OMG Where did this happen? Sad so very sad. :(

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi