Personality Traits

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #92903 by
Replied by on topic Re: Personality Traits
I scored ESFJ - Extravert(22%) Sensing(38%) Feeling(38%) Judging(11%)

OK, what the heck does that mean?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #92904 by
The sad part is: I was just re-reading my test result, and I misread it! I'm not INFP (as I've tested in the past): I'm ISTP (craftsman / introverted thinking). Which is weird because INFP describes me rather well. *Reads up on ISTP* Bugger ....

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #92910 by
I appear to be an ISFJ
Introvert(44%) Sensing(1%) Feeling(12%) Judging(44%)

Hmm, seems right to me :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #92915 by

jimcode3 wrote: For those of us who are not 'in the know,' could you define a term you used: MBTI?

its name of the theory this topic is all about.

RyuJin wrote: I'd like to know where to find out about the mbti and enneagram thingies

personality cafe is a very good source of resources summed up from the web.

More
11 years 3 months ago #92962 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Re: Personality Traits
It's all made up. Just like type a/b personalities, right/left brained, etc.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #93007 by
Hi, jimcode3 :)

There are various personality theories and quite a few mutations, which I mention because some of the systems use the same 4 letter designations, but are inherently different. My experience has been with the Myers-Briggs system. Unlike Keirsey's system (that uses the same 4 letter identifiers) it's not a behavioral system (not concerned with making comparisons between similar personality types or attributing specific behaviors to a type).

Myers-Briggs, in its original form, was meant to help distinguish different decision making functions within our individual brains. It's based on Carl Jung's "8 cognitive processes" theory. Jung identified 8 processes in the mind that he thought summed up how/why each of us makes decisions. What Myers and Briggs (and some of the other systems) did is assign those 4 letter personality types to unique combinations of Jung's 8 cognitive processes.

I'll try to explain this the best I can. Apologies in advance if I cause more confusion. The 4 letters - rather than translating, we'll say ISTP, to "Introverted Sensing Thinking Perceiving" - in actuality, are codes that represent what preferences you have for 4 of the 8 cognitive processes and what order you prefer to use them in. In the case of ISTP, you would be looking at:

1. Introverted Thinking
2. Extraverted Sensing
3. Introverted Intuition
4. Extraverted Feeling

A common misconception of the Myers-Briggs system comes (understandably) out of reading the more literal, surface translation of the 4 letters. Focusing on the cognitive processes, however, will give you a much clearer understanding of your personality type.

Myers-Briggs theory states that we have natural preferences for certain processes in a particular order, and that the more dominant the process, the less energy it requires. If you were an ISTP, you would theoretically use "introverted thinking" extremely well, but "extraverted feeling" (Jung spelled it with an "a") wouldn't be something you'd rely on too much or necessarily use well, and it would deplete your energy more quickly.

Another common misunderstanding is that the personality indicators (like the online personality tests) are meant to give you a definite result in terms of what your personality type is. These tests are simply meant to indicate what your type might be. In the Myers-Briggs documentation it clearly states that the only person who can truly identify your personality type is yourself.

I feel like it's important to stress that this is all just theory, and in no way is Myers-Briggs (or any other system, for that matter) a complete system. I will say, however, that the system has been amazingly beneficial to me personally, when it comes to understanding how my mind works, how to effectively interact with others, and identifying and learning about differences in myself and others. I really like the system, as incomplete as it may be.

In answer to your original questions...

1. The 16 personality types are very likely just scratching the surface.

2. My test results do accurately describe me, but as I mentioned they may not accurately describe everyone, and may in fact be giving you erroneous results. Without a fair amount of personal exploration into the system(s) you can't be certain that you've assigned yourself the proper 4 letter combination.

3. My understanding of the Myers-Briggs system is that you have a singular personality type... one that never changes. You have a natural inclination for using certain cognitive processes more frequently and more effectively than others.

That doesn't mean that you can't be an ISTP and utilize the processes of an INFP (thus, looking to yourself and others like an INFP). It's common for people to identify themselves as one type because they feel connected to that type or see a large part of themselves in another type - and this usually comes from confusion originating from misunderstandings about what the system is. It's also not uncommon for people to answer the indicators/tests in a manner that will lead them to believe this is the case.

I'm not an expert on Myers-Briggs personality theory, but I have read and researched it a great deal and spent a couple years exploring it in both online and offline communities. If you're interested in more thoughts and feelings or would like info on where to obtain further info, I'm happy to help out.

As Vilku stated, personalitycafe.com is a good resource. There are also individual forums for different personality types (e.g., INTJ forum, ENFP forum, INFJ forum). If Myers-Briggs interests you, you'll find excellent information on those sites, as well as the possibility of meeting like-minded people.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #93038 by
Your explanation, Arcade, provides for the flexibility in the results; it clarifies a few things. I've seen some say they're "ixtp" meaning they're [near-] neutral in the second item. If that allows an 8% variation, then I'm "IxxP" or at least "IxTP" (3% variation from center). It looks like I have quite a bit of further reading to do. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #93070 by

Whyte Horse wrote: It's all made up. Just like type a/b personalities, right/left brained, etc.

WoW.. if what you said was true, then thered really be no good theories at all. that the whole humanity was misinformed? fortunately not.

theres a core dynamic of how our species function, and these theories map it. although the idea of such not existing would be liberating, cause the existence of these theories destroy the idea of free will after all.

ive learned to see the reality how it really is, that is, we are all codecs following our programming without free will. like trains which go the same tracks. sure theres a 3d sandbox which illustrates as a free playground, but how you will act there is all decided for you.

what if i said there are 600000 people exactly like you in everything but appearance on earth? well, there are. its not like youd ever meet any of them, but the truth of people being predefined means we are options of human builds which keep repeating all over again and again. its just like those rpg games with their character build options, except we arent making the choices. although i would pick exactly what i am had i the choice.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 3 months ago #93075 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Personality Traits
Well, I think Whyte Horse is quite right in that's its all made up..

But, by thst, I mean it is a search for patterns... Humans, classifying and pigeon holing ourselves....

Keep going, don't stop, keep defining, and you will find not one single person on tjis planet is the same...

First you'd have to start with physical characteristics, such as looks, fingers, toes, hairs on body...

Then, thoughts, etc, etc...

Typically, "Jedi" people do this, and think that...

But there are always exceptions...

I don't know what to think about this seperations you have listed, never cared enough to investigate...;)

Im me, the only me, therefore I belong in the jestor pigeon hole... lol...

Forget breaking us apart, try bringing us together...

We are already too seperate...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #93077 by
You're both right.

There ARE base traits but there are ALWAYS exceptions in EVERYTHING to do with psychology and/or sociology.

You can argue because you are rich you do not appreciate the value of money like a poor person might or if you are invincible you do not appreciate living like a person who has just received they have a terminal illness...all things that can be changed...so there are some things that can be learned but like Jestor said...only from the individual...not from the group...

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi