Personality Traits

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #92489 by
Personality Traits was created by
So, I just finished one of those online "personality review / analysis" tests. I came out, as predicted, INFP. Three questions to all of you:

1\ Do you believe in these 16 personalities as the preeminent types, or are they just scratching the surface?

2\ Take the test (or refer to your most recent results): do they accurately describe you? How you used to be? What you WANT to be?

3\ If you wanted to be something different (let's say: ENTP), why? What would you have to change to get there?

This is personal stuff, so, as always: be respectful with your replies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #92499 by
Replied by on topic Re: Personality Traits
I'm an ExTP. I sit on the fence between ESTP and ENTP.

As for your questions...

1) As far as I've read about the archetypes I embody, it's pretty spot on, though I take the Keirsey Temperament approach more than the standard Meyer Briggs testing.

2) I am an ExTP. I used to be an INTP. I see the change there as being the result of my apprenticeship and what I learned there.

3) I'm not sure I'd want to be different. I'm happier now that I have changed, rather than staying what I was. Not that I really had a problem there, either, but I prefer the new open me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #92531 by
hi, im an infj and i have studied personality psychology for a few years, and first thing im telling you is that youve misunderstood mbti. mbti is information processing only, the clothes of and charastristic are found in enneagram theory while mbti is the deeper underneath part.

for example my enneagram is 9w1, the stereotypical jedi considering 9w1 is all about peace.

then there are also instincts, which are like the weapons metaphorically speaking.

so imagine mbti is brains, enneagram clothes and instincts the weapons.

@Williamkaede

type never changes, its chosen when your few years old or possibly even earlier.

only your self understanding changes, while the parameters never.

also i used to try to be an intp my wholechildhoos because only my intelligence was appreciated by my parents, now im returning to being who ive always been deep in me instead of killing emotions i deemes unacceptable. like smiling.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #92836 by
For those of us who are not 'in the know,' could you define a term you used: MBTI?

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #92839 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Personality Traits
According to keirsey...I'm.an intj (rational/mastermind) like stephen hawkings, u.s.grant, nietche, isaac newton...supposedly intj's only comprise 1percent of the population...I've read the thing over and over countless times and found that it's an exact match...reluctant to lead or socialize, but highly efficient, thoroughly pragmatic...disregard for traditional authority etc...strong willed, obsessively gathering information on everything before accepting anything....

Now if you look at zodiac signs I'm an aries and match it perfectly, and in the chinese zodiac I'm a dragon and match it perfectly as well...

Basically all of these methods are based on observations of countless people...so they're more of a generalization based on those observations...

You can learn skills and develop traits from other groups, but these will not be your true skills and traits...or at least not you natural ones...

I'd like to know where to find out about the mbti and enneagram thingies

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by RyuJin.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #92842 by
I use MyPersonality for MBTI and multiple intelligences.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #92843 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Personality Traits
I used humanmetrics.com for the personality profile....had to in business management class..

Around the same time period I took an iq test that identified me as a "visionary philosopher"...saying my minds strength allows me to think ahead of the game...anticipating what should come next in any situation...the balance of numerical/verbal universes of the brain provides multiple sources of information...also posses a knack for matching and anticipating patterns, combined with an uncanny ability to detect the underlying blueprint of most of life's situations (2 examples of this type are: plato, benedict spinoza)

Like the other personality types this one is fairly spot on...but really when looking at all of them together it's easy to see shared traits among them

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by RyuJin.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #92895 by
I used the link RyuJin provided and also got intj.
So far, from what I read and understand, it fits quite well, however, having only "yes" and "no" as options... It wasn't always easy to determine definitely. I would have preferred a sliding scale and think it would have been more accurate.

Only 16 personality types? I doubt it, but I'm sure they could fit just about anyone into a category somehow.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #92897 by
I got extravert, intuitive, thinking, judging. ENTJ, using ryujins site.

Funny. Last time I took something like that years ago, it was INTJ.

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #92902 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re: Personality Traits
I'm a clear INFP, who always comes out very strongly on the IFP in partcular.

Sometimes I think I would like to be an ENFP instead of an INFP. Social situations cause me so much grief sometimes. But if I was extroverted I would be completely different...but I just want to be myself. So if I could wave a magic wand and make myself extroverted...I wouldn't.

Oh, and in answer to the remaining question, yes, I do believe that these personality types do pretty well at summing most people up.

Take, for instance, this explanation of the INFP personality. It's as if the person who wrote it knows me inside out and back to front ;)

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

B.Div | OCP
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Ben.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi