FPS

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81884 by
Replied by on topic Re: FPS
I play CoD on occasion. I have young children so it's not played unless they're at school or in bed. I'll play for an hour or two a few times a week, but I prefer RPGs. :P

I don't think games effect any part of my life other than enjoying some down time once in a while. If they did, I wouldn't continue to play them. I'm not sure I relate them to real life at all.. because let's be honest.. if someone shoots me in the head I'm not going to respawn haha

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81886 by
Hm, I've always enjoyed FPS games, but usually only for their Multiplayer aspect, but there is a couple games I enjoy the single player more so. As far as my favorite game.. I'd have to say Halo franchise, any and all of them. Halo 4 has probably the best multiplayer that I've seen among the franchise so far.

I also play Modern Warfare 3 from time to time, but its been quite a while since I last played it. Another game I love playing, not sure if you would honestly count it as FPS.. but I also love the Mass Effect games, the single player on them have some really good stories.

As for their impact on my life? I don't personally see any form of impact. Games are often used as a reason for some people being violent, but sadly people don't look deep enough into their lives. I don't think games have a true impact on people unless you let them have the impact. Though I will say that my games do have a tendency of taking up my free time.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #81902 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: FPS
I love the concept of virtual reality, so I enjoy FPSers. I am a big fan of games which are open world, and give the player access to tools to customize scenario's and link them into custom campaigns. The Bohemia Interactive Operation Flashpoint 1985 and its followups are stand outs for me in this regard. Despite not being as graphically glitzy as mainstream FPSers it provided greater utility and has subsequantly been used by various militaries around the world for actual training. I dont enjoy the gaming experience of top down POV RPGs, like WoW, SWTOR etc. No negative impact experienced, but I didnt start playing them until late teenager years when things like Doom were invented, so I have no idea if its a good idea for children.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81904 by

Desolous wrote: [quote="SeanChing" post=81839I enjoy Call of Duty and Halo 4...

oh snap, me too! whats your sign in name?

that said, yes i enjoy FPS, my whole life, but RPGs as well, and pretty much equally. i dont know that i can relate video games to my spiritual life unless you broaden the definition to cover all social interactions (or lack thereof in some cases) arising from the game. i mean, at no point have i ever finished a game and felt closer to or further from god. a little wistful its over, yes, but never 'spiritual'.

aside: my ex wife said that when she and her sister were kids, they were only allowed to play a nintendo game based on the bible. noahs ark, david and goliath, things like that. anybody know anything else about it? cuz i lol'd out loud when she told me that. shes so evil now, it did zero good.[/quote]

My gamertag is
electoh

I'm focusing on Halo 4 now, so I probably won't be playing any COD. Plus, I don't use a mic, so sorry, I can't chat that way. Hope I can play some Big Team Infinity Slayer with you!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81909 by
Thanks guys, you've been very helpful thus far, but I guess I made a mistake in my wording as you've misunderstood my meaning of "spiritual".

What I really meant was "philosophical". What I'm looking for are the descriptions of being "in the zone", where you're playing so well it's as if someone took over for you. If y'all could tell me about those experiences, I'd much appreciate it :)

More
11 years 5 months ago #81912 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: FPS
You mean something beyond immersion? I'd say there is two types of immersion, environmental where you suspend your disbelief of the simulation and connect to the visualization of being in the game, and then also character immersion where you act in the game as if you were a different person.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81921 by
Well, since we're on the topic of First Person Shooters, that narrows down the list of potential games to reference....however, I know a really great FPS that immersed me into the world of spying and cold war espionage:

Goldeneye 007 for Wii.

Yes, this game had one of the best campaigns I have ever played for an FPS, and was certainly the most immersive FPS game that I have ever played. Unlike the usual "shoot-em-up" and "macho-man" FPS games (and really, there are too many of them), Goldeneye focused a whole lot on stealth and controlled gun fire. Armed with only a pistol and a PDA, the game required players to rely on stealth assassinations, hacking of enemy equipment, and wise shooting. The difference between Goldeneye and a usual spy game was the fact that everything about the campaign just worked well. Whether or not the game developers and players genuinely predicted how well Goldeneye would work before it was released and played in not truthfully known, but it ended up being a really great working game - by fate or free will.

I wrote a video game review on Goldeneye 007 for the Wii and gave it an 8.5/10 - a good grade. If you're interested, you can view my review by copy and pasting the following URL into another tab:

gamespot.com/users/gamereviewguru/contributions

and search for my review about Goldeneye 007.

More
11 years 5 months ago #82014 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Re: FPS
That is what I was talking about as well when I said…

As to their spiritual impact on my life… it was negative. So, I quit playing. ;)

I am REALLY good at games. And it is not because I spend massive amount of time playing them. I learned to “let go” and just be a part of the game. To almost become a game playing machine, so to speak. The rest of the world tuned out and you are in the “game zone.” Reacting to things in the game before they happen almost as an anticipatory reflex. I then would become “locked” in to the game. All sense of actual time or the “real’ world around me would melt to the background of existence.

A friend of mine was a quality assurance manager at Blizzard and then Ensemble Studios; he also worked at a few other places over the years. But because of my ability to “zone out” and just demolish games and other gamers he would have me come in and test games for him. It eventually began to encroach into my real life and all I could think about was the next time I would play. There is a feeling that comes with being “in the zone” that unless you have been there it is impossible to describe, and it is a good feeling, very addicting and very false. You begin to feel “powerful”, but what people seem to fail to realize is that they are only connecting to a machine. It is just a game… and so I stopped playing.

I will still pick up a controller from time to time… but NOT often. ;)

Monastic Order of Knights

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #82041 by
First Person shooters are a nail in the coffin for people who used to be able to view real life from a third person perspective. That being said, who knows if it is real life?

How do you know?

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 5 months ago #82047 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: FPS

Desolous wrote: [quote="SeanChing" post=81839I enjoy Call of Duty and Halo 4...

oh snap, me too! whats your sign in name?

that said, yes i enjoy FPS, my whole life, but RPGs as well, and pretty much equally. i dont know that i can relate video games to my spiritual life unless you broaden the definition to cover all social interactions (or lack thereof in some cases) arising from the game. i mean, at no point have i ever finished a game and felt closer to or further from god. a little wistful its over, yes, but never 'spiritual'.

aside: my ex wife said that when she and her sister were kids, they were only allowed to play a nintendo game based on the bible. noahs ark, david and goliath, things like that. anybody know anything else about it? cuz i lol'd out loud when she told me that. shes so evil now, it did zero good.[/quote]

when i was in high school, my best friends father was a pastor, and his mother ran the christian bookstore....they had the same rule for games...in fact they would regularly search my friends room for d&d books, any games that weren't christian, any music that wasn't christian...none of it made a difference...he still listened to metallica etc, played d&d etc...he used to get me in trouble and i kept him out of trouble...it's been my experience that that sort of totalitarian parenting always fails miserably, when you forbid something it creates a stronger desire to experience it and this is never more apparent than in "christian" families...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi