FPS

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81829 by
FPS was created by
Hey everybody, I'm working on a little project about first-person shooter games, and I was wondering if any of you play them (like from Wolfenstein3D right on up to Call of Duty). I'm interested in hearing about your experiences, such as the best or worst you ever played, and how playing those games relates to your spiritual life.

Feel free to post here because I'd like to see what each of you has to say to others about their experiences.

Thanks! :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #81830 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Re: FPS
I use to play a lot of FPS’s and it dominated much of my “free time.” :ohmy:

Best, worst… I know one of my favorites, when I played, was Battlefield 1942. :woohoo:

As to their spiritual impact on my life… it was negative. So, I quit playing. ;)

Monastic Order of Knights

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81839 by
Replied by on topic Re: FPS
I play a good deal of FPS on Xbox Live, and I'm a devoted fan. I enjoy Call of Duty and Halo 4, and I have a few things to say about my experiences. I'll try to return back to this forum for a more detailed response, but things are busy now.

Although this is a good topic, Streen!

More
11 years 5 months ago #81848 by MCSH
Replied by MCSH on topic Re: FPS
I used to play fps a lot but...

I love the story of game more than anythings, and honeslty, fps stories... aren't good :P

Master: Wescli Wardest
Clerical Mentor : Master Jestor

Clerical Rank: Licensed Minister

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 5 months ago #81850 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: FPS
i play a wide array of games...my favorite types are rpg's because of the customizing you can do to your character....

right now the 3dps i've been playing alot is army of two:the fortieth day...i can beat the game in under 30mins now...

the first fps i played and got repeatedly pwned in was unreal tournament...until i found maps that had the "redeemer" :evil:

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: MCSH

More
11 years 5 months ago #81852 by MCSH
Replied by MCSH on topic Re: FPS
yes, RPGs are really cool, but not everyone play it, it's kind of a geek game :D

FPS is more played among normal people!

Master: Wescli Wardest
Clerical Mentor : Master Jestor

Clerical Rank: Licensed Minister

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
11 years 5 months ago #81853 by RyuJin
sshhhh :lol:

my geek wasn't supposed to escape...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81858 by
Okay, I'm back! So, as I was saying, I've really enjoyed FPS games for quite a while and, while I started off as a die-hard Call of Duty fan, I've ended up going towards Halo 4 and the reclaimer trilogy games as they are soon going to unfold.

To me, FPS games are about being spontaneous, with a LOT of luck. Each match is a new, exciting opportunity to do extremely well, fail hard, or do something in between. That is why it is so difficult to stop playing - because you always feel that "this match will be my lucky one", and the opening of each match, whether it's...

"Team Deathmatch!........Take no prisoners, Comrades!"

or

"SLAYER........Eelimuhnate the yenemy teeem!"

adds to this effect.

Streen, you ask how this relates to spiritual life....but, honestly, I don't see the connection between the two. It's like asking, "how is friendship related to bug collecting?" There doesn't seem to be any clear connection there....however, I will say that, if anything, FPS games are very unspiritual, if you ask me.

They usually involve mass virtual killings, and a type of personal competition that involves beating down every opponent who opposes you. This is in contrast to our forms of spirituality, which is about cooperating, patience, and understanding.

However, I don't see FPS games as "bad" things. In contrast, I appreciate how FPS games allow people to do things that they (most hopefully) wouldn't do in real life: shooting, throwing knives and grenades, driving erratically in vehicles, etc.

Many people think that this is why video games cause people to become violent. But I think it's the exact opposite. People who choose to play video games, like FPS's, are making a conscious decision to do certain activities in a simulation environment, with absolutely no risks to anyone, as opposed to experimenting with it in real life.

Moreover, people point out how the Columbine and Virginia Tech students became killers supposedly because of video games. However, do you really think that any single person could become a maniac killer from playing video games (that are played by billions of people around the world)?

The person was probably already the type of person to commit those types of crimes, and the video games just appealed to them more.

After all, people who already love apples will probably go ahead and buy apples.
But people who don't already love apples probably won't go ahead and buy apples when under the influence of apples, correct?

But I digress.....Let me just conclude by saying that I feel that FPS games, and video games in general, are a great fuel and way to spend free time. When I really get into a new FPS, for example, I focus more in school and do work more efficiently in order to make some time for me to play the game. When a new game is about to be released, I do homework and chores and duties weeks in advance and double check them before the game comes out. Also, I play FPS games instead of going to shady parties that I've been invited to by friends many a times.

Life is rather long, in my opinion, (especially the earlier school years) so you need a hobby/passionate activity to pull you through it.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
11 years 5 months ago #81862 by RyuJin
too many people want to blame games, music, tv, etc for their aggressiveness instead of simply accepting responsibility for their actions...i don't buy the whole "they did it because they play such and such games" defense...it's b/s...they did it because they wanted to do it, no one made them do it...i've played violent games, my whole life and i'm not out there committing violent acts against people...why?...simple because i know that there are consequences for my actions, i was taught that by my parents...

in the end always remember...it's just a game

Quotes:

The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81883 by
[quote="SeanChing" post=81839I enjoy Call of Duty and Halo 4...[/quote]

oh snap, me too! whats your sign in name?

that said, yes i enjoy FPS, my whole life, but RPGs as well, and pretty much equally. i dont know that i can relate video games to my spiritual life unless you broaden the definition to cover all social interactions (or lack thereof in some cases) arising from the game. i mean, at no point have i ever finished a game and felt closer to or further from god. a little wistful its over, yes, but never 'spiritual'.

aside: my ex wife said that when she and her sister were kids, they were only allowed to play a nintendo game based on the bible. noahs ark, david and goliath, things like that. anybody know anything else about it? cuz i lol'd out loud when she told me that. shes so evil now, it did zero good.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi