Some schools/religions go too far

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50796 by
This was my former religion for God's sake. (BYU is a Mormon church run school).

Check it out:

http://trevorantley.com/2012/02/15/byu-and-the-volunteer-modesty-militia/

and here:

http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu-byu-note-byu-students-honor-code-note-goes-viral-20120215,0,4550428.story

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #50798 by Br. John
Before I saw the photo I was thinking she was wearing a tube top and a thong. OMDL

Attachment modesty.jpg not found

Founder of The Order
Attachments:

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #50799 by Locksley
Maybe it's just me but... I'd have no problem with the girls on my campus wearing the outfit on the end. LOL - Then again I live in California. Most of the girls DO wear stuff similar, at least in the summer. I love this state. ;)

But really, that's just seriously ridiculous. Like the first article said: "if this weird, creepy guy finds the sight of a girl’s knees so completely distracting that he has to censure her for it, he might be the one with the issue."

*sigh* Mormons. -.-'

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Locksley.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50800 by
I find this ridiculous to the point of hilarity. Never again will the Volunteer Modesty Militia be taken seriously (were they ever?).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50805 by
Replied by on topic Some schools/religions go too far
I notice no females are posting here. Until now, of course.
Showing knees isn't a problem for Mormons. It's just easier to find clothing that is either far above the knee or just below it.
I actually live the idea of a sense of modesty and self respect in women. If I were a guy I wouldn't want everyone seeing every inch of my girlfriend/wife anyway.
Maybe I just think that because I'm female. No idea.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50806 by
Replied by on topic Some schools/religions go too far
Forgive my typos. I'm on an iPod...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50813 by
Hi Reliah,

The thread hasn't been up that long so perhaps we'll see some more of our female Jedi stop by...

I agree with you that there is nothing wrong with a woman wanting to be modest in her clothes. I also don't think there is anything wrong with a woman that wants to wear "immodest" clothing. Modesty is in the eye of the beholder.

What I find messed up about what happened to this BYU girl is that some uber-self-righteous young man told her she was not living up to the Honor Code. Sadly, the Honor Code at BYU encourages this behavior.

It reminds me of the parable of Jesus where he said "Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye." In other words, the dude that gave an attractive young lady (on Valentine's Day to boot!) an admonishment for what she was wearing was straining at a gnat and instead swallowed a camel.

Anyway, I just thought it was pretty lame of the dude and of the institution that encourages it.

<trying to calm down now....breathe....>

MTFBWY,
LTK

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50814 by
Well, we've got a new uniform for girls at the "Y" now (for those that don't know. The "Y" is slang for BYU, Brigham Young University):

Attachment BYUCo-ed1.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
12 years 2 months ago #50818 by Br. John
I couldn't reach JabbaTheSlut for a comment but here's old reliable Melba and the Mormon.

Rated PG-13 for the F word. mp3

http://jediism.net/melba-mormon.mp3

Founder of The Order

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 2 months ago #50832 by ren
If my woman wore this much clothing, I'd go mental.

Anyway, this is similar to the obsession with women's nipples(which function in exactly the same way as men's). Women's knees were once considered private parts (despite having the same design and function as a man's knees), breasts (and nipples) however were not seen in such a way. The world is a strange place.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi