Temple Crisis Hotline

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #173673 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Temple Crisis Hotline
Some people. Plenty of people thought it was a good idea in principle, although the execution left [strike]a little[/strike] a lot to be desired.

The hotline was originally set up and co-ordinated by a Bishop (also GrandMaster and Councillor) of TOTJO, as a service offered by Clergy. It was later begrudgingly 'run' by myself for a while as the then Vice President of Clergy (an office we no longer have here but essentially the organisational head of Clergy), and I after I absented myself from TOTJO the first time, I believe this is when it stopped functioning.

The concerns were over whether it was a service that should be offered by trained mental health practitioners (therapists etc) only.

So, in that regard, absolutely nothing has changed whatsoever since 2012 as, to the best of my knowledge, we still don't particularly have any of those in our Clergy.

However, I still personally think it's a good idea (as a new official TOTJO email address). I'm sure there is some debate to be had over the logistics and how it could be done better this time around and I'm confident that our Council and Clergy will give concerns due consideration before deciding on the specifics.

B.Div | OCP
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Ben.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #173675 by
Replied by on topic Temple Crisis Hotline
Nobody disputed the idea except for maybe Khaos... lol.

But, yes, there are no end to the logistical problems this idea presents. I think there are better ways to spend our resources and time. Continuing to provide excellent training and clerical services are a couple of ways.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #173676 by
I think it's a bit much to think this place can handle a crises hot line. Look at how some discussion go. No insult or offence intended. People lives could be at stake. Ignorance is not bliss. On the other hand I also think clergy would feel the desire to help those in need.

Helping people is good. People need to know their limits.

This probably doesn't help much but if in doubt error on the cautious. Ask yourself if you had a good friend of family member in crises where would you send them. Here?

Do the folks here have the time, talent and resources to do good correctly? I don't think I could without training. But that's me.

I've had first aid training several times over the years and the best I've done is keep people stable until help arrives.

It's not a question of desires but can we do good?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #173679 by

Rickie The Grey wrote: It's not a question of desires but can we do good?

Yes, we can.

Every person here has gone through something deeply emotion and traumatizing. Some people haven't gotten over their issues and many others had more and more issues compiled on top of it. The point being is that the people who have walked through the "mine field" have the experience to help others walk through the field without getting hurt. You can call it coaching or teaching by experience, either way it is someone who knows the pain of the situation. This does not mean we know exactly how the person feels, but we know the pain that it can cause and that we can empathize with them.

I believe we can help people that are willing to use the "hotline". If they are willing to use the hotline it means they are seeking help and that is a big step for some people. Even the people "trained" for the suicide hotlines are not perfect and cannot fix every situation, but if we can give these people another way to look at things and help them through their issues, then we will make a difference.

In my personal experience I would rather talk to someone who understands the situation on a personal level because they've been through it than speak with someone who was "trained" by a person who probably doesn't have fruit on the tree of life experiences and makes a little bit above minimum wage. Someone who knows the pain will care deeper than someone being paid to help.

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #173681 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Temple Crisis Hotline
These things can sometimes benefit from procedures, such as redirection to better trained services under specific situations, but there might be a useful value in this. But 'crisis' is a strong word - and to me it does imply the higher end of the risk spectrum. Helpline sounds a bit too soft, like an IT callcenter, but crisis hotline sounds too strong.... cannot think of any good suggestion at the moment though
:pinch:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #173682 by
Counsel Hotline, Coaching Hotline, Re-Direction Hotline has a nice ring to it.

There are many different names we can come up with for it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #173683 by
I'd like to point out that the Clergy DOES take spiritual confession and does give spiritual guidance to anybody who needs it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #173684 by
Thank you Connor, that is a very good thing to point out.

Though to play devils advocate, some people may feel uncomfortable talking to a religious/spiritual member from a different church/religion. Though most of the people who would probably be offering their services for the "hotline" would mostly be one of our Clergy, there might be some not of the Clergy who would like to help as well.

Just something to think about. Again, thank you for point it out for it is something that I have used and can attest to. It was very helpful and I received great guidance that made me feel a lot better and I was not left feeling like my issues were unanswered. I give big kudos to our Clergy members and those who take confessions.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 4 months ago #173686 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Temple Crisis Hotline
Discussions go crazy because the conversations of that nature have strong opinions...

We all band together to offer advice when someone needs it....

It doesn't hurt to.listen... Or offer advice....

I would prefer anyone seeks professional help...

If they can't, or won't, seek professional help, at least we can listen.....

And, we are looking into the legalities...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
9 years 4 months ago #173689 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Temple Crisis Hotline

V-Tog wrote: The concerns were over whether it was a service that should be offered by trained mental health practitioners (therapists etc) only.

So, in that regard, absolutely nothing has changed whatsoever since 2012 as, to the best of my knowledge, we still don't particularly have any of those in our Clergy.

Might it be appropriate at this point to mention that many localities (most states in the US, for example), make certification exemptions for religious counseling for spiritual guidance.

I don't say this to suggest that anyone here is qualified (at all). In fact, I think it's a very helpful, honest, and important step to admit that we are almost certainly completely unqualified. Without admitting that, we presume that we can handle what's thrown at us. Rather, I say this to suggest that there are many problems that we, collectively, are qualified to help with--at least in the initial, emergent stages. Solace from trusted friends and fellow pathwalkers can be just what is needed to help until more professional aid can be summoned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben, ,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi